Preview Hawthorn vs Adelaide - Teams, chat, scones etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More midfield rotations......

Out: Rioli Savage Osbourne
In: Sewell Simpkin Anderson

Ozzie has done absolutely nothing wrong since returning, he actually doesn't deserve to be dropped but we need more midfield rotations and some speed and in my opinion he's the one that's most expendable for this to happen.

FB: Stratton - Lake - Guerra
HB: Hodge - Gibson - Birchall
C: Smith - Sewell - Hill
HF: Breust- Franklin - Burgoyne
FF: Roughead - Gunston - Puopolo
R: Bailey - Mitchell - Shiels

I/C: Simpkin - Lewis - Anderson - Hale

If Anderson isn't ready, I'd love to see Litherland given a go, Birchall was quite on the weekend, we also lacked a little dash/run from the defensive half......Birchall can then have stints through the midfield, swapping with Hodge.

HB: Litherland - Gibson - Birchall

I/C: Simpkin - Lewis - Hodge - Hale

More midfield rotations......

Out: Rioli Savage Osbourne
In: Sewell Simpkin Anderson

Ozzie has done absolutely nothing wrong since returning, he actually doesn't deserve to be dropped but we need more midfield rotations and some speed and in my opinion he's the one that's most expendable for this to happen.

HB: Hodge - Gibson - Birchall

I/C: Simpkin - Lewis - Anderson - Hale

If Anderson isn't ready, I'd love to see Litherland given a go, Birchall was quite on the weekend, we also lacked a little dash/run from the defensive half......Birchall can then have stints through the midfield, swapping with Hodge.

HB: Litherland - Gibson - Birchall

I/C: Simpkin - Lewis - Hodge - Hale
Disagree on Ozzie. Thought he was one of our best on the weekend. He did rotate through the middle and was very evasive when he had the ball, had good disposal and made good decisions. He is also one of a few that can take a contested mark.

you had a twilight game against another Melbourne team and pulled 2,000 less than us vs Carlton.... twilight huh?
What's the purpose of this comment?

Disagree on Ozzie. Thought he was one of our best on the weekend. He did rotate through the middle and was very evasive when he had the ball, had good disposal and made good decisions. He is also one of a few that can take a contested mark.

Yeh, I agree he did play well and he did make good decisions, its a bit rich stating that he is one of a few that can take a contested mark, we have a lot of players that can take contested marks, pack marks different story.
I just think pace and more clearance ability is needed, that's where Simpkin comes in. i also believe we still have to go down the path of playing youth, it brings a different dynamics, freshness and excitement to the team.

Leg speed was not the issue yesterday, it was our endurance. How many times did a loose ball result in an easy North take away. It was so frustrating. I saw plenty of balls that looked 50-50 but Hawks looked like they were lacking urgency. It was pretty odd, however we were due for a down week after a tough FIXture.

Really we have struggled to put 4 quarters together all year. We played only a half against Geelong, and then we had a burst period at the start and the end of round 2 against WC, but we let them get it back under 20 points about 2 or 3 times through the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Round 3 was probably our most complete game. Round 4 was similar to Round 2 where we had a burst at the start and at the end, only difference we were able to keep them at arms length pretty much the whole game.

So glad to get the win yesterday really. Its a win like that that can make all the difference at the end of the year. Allows us to manage players more throughout the year, unlike we were able to last year. Hopefully it also serves as a kick up the pants without having to be a loss at this stage of the season. Was very similar to the Richmond game or second half of round 5 AFL Swans game last year, however a much better result.

Savage is a real worry. He seems to be down on confidence and playing as the sub for only 30-40 minutes of footy, can hardly help him. I also dont like the fact that we are constantly subbing out Bailey. It seems to be a predetermined decision no matter how the game is unfolding. I think we are playing too tall and then hoping to inject run later in a game. An injury to a midfielder early on will really hurt us.
Bailey subbed twice if I remember. Perhaps there is a reason. Only twice though. We did win, even so we were out of form. The umpiring was terrible for both sides and the kicking from both sides was bad.
But bad kicking is a trait in this day and age. Strangely when the pressure is on shooting for goal. But around the ground it seems precision passing is good, mostly.
I was at WCE game , I thought we murdered them they were always going to have a shot, that happens in footy all the time.
If you notice a lot of games lately not ours but others as well there are a few teams playing half games. Geelong looked pretty ordinary in the 1st game of the season then we fell off.

I think we are all going into panic over kill. All clubs have bad days all clubs take half a season to settle .
EVERYONE HAS INJURIES.
Really we are on track in one important sense , we have not by a long shot reached our top effort , secondly we will! Thirdly big guns like Geelong and Essendon will have their day , they are rolling nicely now and winning well.

We are finding our problems early, we'll build and hopefully be right up there.
But look at Collingwood, they would be working out their problems vigorously now as well.
It takes a long road to finals every one has ups and downs , its early folks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey subbed twice if I remember. Perhaps there is a reason. Only twice though. We did win, even so we were out of form. The umpiring was terrible for both sides and the kicking from both sides was bad.
But bad kicking is a trait in this day and age. Strangely when the pressure is on shooting for goal. But around the ground it seems precision passing is good, mostly.
I was at WCE game , I thought we murdered them they were always going to have a shot, that happens in footy all the time.
If you notice a lot of games lately not ours but others as well there are a few teams playing half games. Geelong looked pretty ordinary in the 1st game of the season then we fell off.

I think we are all going into panic over kill. All clubs have bad days all clubs take half a season to settle .
EVERYONE HAS INJURIES.
Really we are on track in one important sense , we have not by a long shot reached our top effort , secondly we will! Thirdly big guns like Geelong and Essendon will have their day , they are rolling nicely now and winning well.

We are finding our problems early, we'll build and hopefully be right up there.
But look at Collingwood, they would be working out their problems vigorously now as well.
It takes a long road to finals every one has ups and downs , its early folks.

Just did some research. Bailey was subbed rounds 3 and 5. Round 2 Sewell did his hammy, Round 4 Shoe did his knee.

So only once has the sub been used proactively not involving Bailey, Round 1 when Hill was subbed for Anderson.

I think it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

Out ...Rioli (inj), Sav (om) , Bailey (res)
In ...Sewell , Simpkin , Lowden
Gunna sub.
Lowden / Hale ruck combo ....Mobile , agile and versatile .
Lowden sub half way into 3rd an Ruff to pick up from there with Gunna going fwd .
Sewell and Simpkin add inside and outside .

I like Dangerfield and agree he must be stopped. For mine the guy to worry about is Jacobs. He is out of form but our rucks were diabolical V Norf. Our rucks break even we will win with a leg in the air.

Dunno what happened to Hale this week. Last year he dismantled Goldstain, this time he dropped marks, gave away frees, missed goals. In most aspects of the game he was poor. Max on the other hand turned into a goal sneak and became as useful as Eddie Betts in the ruck.

Interesting to see WhiteX still 5 weeks away on the Hawthorn site when originally at the start or the season it was reported he should be ok about now. Let's hope it's not too long, we need him and Cyril in top form for the finals.

Don't mind holding him off for a while. Take the time and get him right and into some match fitness and we should have a fresh and hungry player to add to the squad as we head towards finals. Same with Cyril - a minor hammy sees him miss Crows and Swans anyway and considering our draw after that we may as well take all the time needed to make sure he is 100%. No rush at all these two and think of them as a real bonus in the back half of the year.

Lots saying Anderson will be in but I think he will get another week off, if his hammy was legit. If he is in then we know the hammy was a smokescreen. If he is ready -

In: Sewell, Anderson
Out: Savage, Rioli

Savage needs full games and he does not have the form to do that in the seniors. Back to bh to find form. Hope Lewis keeps picking up his form and carries on from last week. Goo needs to lift because Duryeas exposed form has been better this year and should be in against Sydney if Goo keeps his form line.

I think we need to trial going back to 1 ruck with a back up. Quicker sides may tear us apart in the last qtr and a half with our current setup.

Looked like a tough start finally dished up our "down" game. Lets hope we come to play and I hope we come out breathing fire after being smashed in the majority of kpi's on Sunday.

6 day break and travel will make it a little harder.

Carn Hawks

Simpkin has to come in. We were smashed at the clearnaces and he's handy in that area.

Not sure what Ossie has done wrong. I thought he was very good against Freo, playing a fair bit on Hill and keeping him to 14 touches. He also did some nice things last week.

The stats sheet I reviewed after Sunday identified Savage as having 0 kicks and 0 handballs. Note sure if that is correct but for a guy that came on late in the third, if so, that screams "I am dreadfully out of form and need some Box Hill love".

Few saying Ozzie out, no way. He has the hard edge and will to win that helps carry other over the line. I heard he played that sort of role on the weekend again. Ozzie has been rotated through the middle and said after Freo that he was knackered but his fitness was picking up to go through the middle more. Ozzie and Poppy playing the defensive forward and midfield rotations now that Cyril is out.

Simpkin has to come in. We were smashed at the clearnaces and he's handy in that area.

Not sure what Ossie has done wrong. I thought he was very good against Freo, playing a fair bit on Hill and keeping him to 14 touches. He also did some nice things last week.

The stats sheet I reviewed after Sunday identified Savage as having 0 kicks and 0 handballs. Note sure if that is correct but for a guy that came on late in the third, if so, that screams "I am dreadfully out of form and need some Box Hill love".
He did take a couple of kick outs but yes I think those stats are right. Thought he should something in defence last week. Played there again this week but I can't honestly say who he played on or if he did a good job or not shutting him down. Anyone else notice?

Savage must better as a half forward (see 2011).
we must not risk players coming back from a hammy.
Sewell in for Rioli if ready, otherwise Durea. Simpkin next in line.
Savage gets a whole game in Gunston's spot, he goes to sub.
The week after, Sewell and Ando def in.

If rubbish like Carlton can beat the Crows, we will win. I feel for the crows though, being shafted by the AFL (I mean Sydney..??). Letting them take Tippett. And now poor Tex with the knee. But we will not want to play like we did Vs the Kangas.

Crows will be tough to beat in Adelaide, they always have been for us. They have had plenty of players down on form, like us, so they have plenty of possible upside, again like us. It will come down to who turns up to play. If we want this and need it then we will get the points. If we turn up to play like we did last week and the Crows are on then we will really struggle. We are the better team on paper and on season form so far and we will get 4 points in these types of matches if we are serious about top 4. These are the ones that should be banked, not lost.

Crows will be tough to beat in Adelaide, they always have been for us. They have had plenty of players down on form, like us, so they have plenty of possible upside, again like us. It will come down to who turns up to play. If we want this and need it then we will get the points. If we turn up to play like we did last week and the Crows are on then we will really struggle. We are the better team on paper and on season form so far and we will get 4 points in these types of matches if we are serious about top 4. These are the ones that should be banked, not lost.

Agreed. This is the sort of game that's considered tough but very much winnable for a team who expects to be playing at the pointy end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back