News Hinkley is staying -3 year contract extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing is clear to me. From R20 onwards, Hinkley was coaching and selecting for 2018.

Picking Trengove for the QF means we might have won in spite of a nervous first quarter and poor goalkicking, but we needed to learn to win without him in 2018 so he stayed in the two's.

Those are the actions of someone who already had the backing of the executive.

Further hints: Frampton & Hombsch in for surgery. Marshall, Johnson fast-tracked in spite of relative performance.

I hope it proves to be worth it. We could have bradbury'd our way past GWS if we'd taken the chance.

Sacrificing a finals campaign in a year like this is a dangerous game to be playing. This is Hinkley's list now. Make or break, bucko.
Did you listen to KT's interview on 6PR yesterday posted by Boss.? He stated as such. They had started negotiations a month ago at least and were dealing with Ken's manager.

There was no knee jerk reaction to retain him because of GCS.
There was no knee jerk reaction to give him an extended contract. The plan was always a long term contract. KT said he has absolutely no idea where the 2 year rumour came from as it was never in their thinking.

They finalised and announced it now to avoid ongoing media hysteria and distraction.

They realised there needed to be a bit of the changing of the guard, player wise, to move forward. Kenny and his coaches have developed the group of players they believe can take them there.

Club wants stability.

Those who believe that someone is naive to believe anything KT says publicly are surely just as naive with their conspiracy theories.

We have Ken now and I don't want to offend people but it's a bit unfair posters on here knocking people just because they can still see home hope ora different view..
Come on, we're a democracy here. Can't we embrace the fact that everyone has the a right to their opinion guys without being ridiculed?
I was ready for either possibility, the excitement of a new coach or the stability of Ken. Now he's staying I will move on to see what 2018 brings rather than fretting. Positivity is not naivety, it's just trying to find the hope.
157285-Darkness-Is-The-Birth-Of-A-New-Dawn.jpg

Last edited:
What are you trying to say , a large percentage of paid up members dont agree with the Boards decission ,so bad luck ,dont whinge, suck it up and make out 2015-2017 didnt happen , the future looks rosey ? , . Good luck with that.
A large % on BF you are right, but the general paid up members, I'm not so sure.

What are you trying to say , a large percentage of paid up members dont agree with the Boards decission ,so bad luck ,dont whinge, suck it up and make out 2015-2017 didnt happen , the future looks rosey ? , . Good luck with that.
Ok so come on here and other social media and melt your ****ing heart out and see where that gets you.
I wouldnt of given Ken an extension until we saw how 2018 pans out but its a done deal.
Sooking about the past doesnt change the future.

That 3 5ths of FA took us out of the doldrums with a kick away of being in a GF. What were your thoughts then? whatever they were then, should be the same now.

Everyone here needs to walk over the footbridge a get over the unfortunate losses we had this year and look forward. Coaches and Players will learn from this year, if they dont then all of you can say what has been said thus far in these morphed threads.

I am happy that he is staying, simply because its better the devil you know, also, he is a good coach. I would like to see Basset take on the roll as assistant coach then take over the reins with Ken as the director of coaching.

I still have faith in Ken.
Can't even remember it feels like a lifetime ago by all means dine out on "one kick away" forever it's the new Port Adelaide tradition.

Having blocked the trolls in this thread like thundercloud and dazalenko who i can only assume are crows fans with too much time and sad lives it is intruiging reading seeing people like tribes having to i assume reply to them.

Thundercloud sits in his magpie nest high above and watches through his magpie 2 eyes the squabble below. He repositions his tail and has an oopsy, watch out below. Now he stretches fromhis nest and gives out a loud strident magpie chortle call. The power be with you on another day

The thing is its not going to change until big results are on the board, which means even a premiership would be preceeded by the biggest melts of Hinkley's tenure.

That is why Ken went and got leverage and demanded an extension now, because he did not want to be dealing with an angry mob calling for his head all year.

As fun as it sounds to let him walk and bring in someone else, that could have destroyed us. Players who wanted to come here could change their minds, potential sponsors could back off, David Koch would be witch hunted relentlessly by the media for forcing Hinkley to leave (whether that would have been true is not important). There would also be little to gain seeing as the list has been moulded by Hinkley for his game plan. Significant changes to gameplan would need to he accompanied by significant list changes, which would take years.

Honestly though, if we ended up finishing 4th next year and giving Hinkley 3 years people would probably still be up in arms. Get that angst out of the way early and focus on what we need to do to go as far as possible next year, and keep this list improving so we can consistently be in contention.

Had guys like Butcher, Harvey and Shaw come on we might be having a different conversation but our forward line was nowhere near good enough for us to win this year, and even with Ebert and Powell-Pepper exceeding expectations, and Ryder becoming the competition's premier ruckman our midfield couldn't compete on a consistent level. Blame coaching all you want but these are problems with our list that pre-date Hinkley, Voss and co.

It honestly isn't even sunk costs, it's simply that Hinkley is in the best position to guide the club forwards, and the likelihood of that changing next year is considered so low that it wasn't worth wasting time.

You probably disagree with me that our list wasn't good enough this year, and hasn't been for years. But that's what it comes down to, have we performed as well as our list has been capable of? Maybe maybe not.

Anyway I don't mean to have a huge go at you or anything, I've said before that this will take people a long time to process, as it could mean the end of our premiership window for another 8 years. However, if we make it four years from now and Hinkley has been a failure at least we will have some good players running around, and the likelihood of a coach starting in 2019 and winning a flag within that year is very, very low.

Anyway, I think I'd best get the **** away from this site in the meantime, as I really don't have the time at the moment, and have probably ****** myself very hard tonight haha :(

Imo peck has a very readable writing style and makes very reasonable sense. He has the skill to be able to bring a balanced perspective and consider from eg coaches viewpoint. I think it pretty well covers it and this view should be at least considered by all.

I always expected Ken to be coaching us in 2018 but I wanted to see some signs of improvement in 2018 before we offered him a contract extension. Unfortunately the club fell for Peter Blucher's ploy, panicked and gave Ken a 3 year extension. As I have posted previously, the club has gone for stability over success.

Listening to KT it sounds as if Donald Trump's criticism of the UN applies to Ports, "focus must be on results, not process".

Come on, we're a democracy here. Can't we embrace the fact that everyone has the a right to their opinion guys without being ridiculed?

Of course we can but I think you're being slightly hypocritical here. You put more effort into telling other people not to be critical and not to be negative rather than just accepting that they're not happy with the decisions the club is making.

One of the reasons this club has been so successful in the past is that the members and supporters demanded accountability. You only have to listen to Tim Ginever's stories about facing the Port public at Alberton after a loss to understand how things used to operate.

If we all sat back and had the attitude that "whatever will be, will be" there's no way this club would have ever made it this far. It's this drive to win that is supposed to be what makes us different from the rest. So call people negative all you like but without the angry supporters, we wouldn't be the Port Adelaide Football Club as we know it.

I have a question, those on here in the preceding years ever want Choco gone at end of 03? After failing again?

I wanted Clarko in charge for the 04 season...reckon that could've turned out ok too.

But the situations are hardly comparable...Choco had us entrenched in the top 4 but couldn't get us up for finals. Ken has never finished H&A in the top 4!

Of course we can but I think you're being slightly hypocritical here. You put more effort into telling other people not to be critical and not to be negative rather than just accepting that they're not happy with the decisions the club is making.

One of the reasons this club has been so successful in the past is that the members and supporters demanded accountability. You only have to listen to Tim Ginever's stories about facing the Port public at Alberton after a loss to understand how things used to operate.

If we all sat back and had the attitude that "whatever will be, will be" there's no way this club would have ever made it this far. It's this drive to win that is supposed to be what makes us different from the rest. So call people negative all you like but without the angry supporters, we wouldn't be the Port Adelaide Football Club as we know it.
I accept the majority are not happy. I really do. The majority of posts are about posters not happy. That is absolutely clear. It is beyond doubt as it has been repeated ad infinitum. People are not happy. I get it. yes I get it. People are pissed off. People will hand in memberships. Yes we have been duped. Ken has played us for fools. KT and KOchie have no idea.
Yes I get it. :rolleyes:
But, the deal has been done.
I'm ok with it.

I accept the majority are not happy. I really do. The majority of posts are about posters not happy. That is absolutely clear. It is beyond doubt as it has been repeated ad infinitum. People are not happy. I get it. yes I get it. People are pissed off. People will hand in memberships. Yes we have been duped. Ken has played us for fools. KT and KOchie have no idea.
Yes I get it. :rolleyes:
But, the deal has been done.
I'm ok with it.

I accept it too, because I have to.

I will also remain a member long after Ken has left the building because he is only a servant of the club. In the meantime I will continue to complain long and hard until he does anything remotely worth congratulating.

I'd just like to throw my support behind Hinkley and the club. I was happy for a change but Im also well aware that change isn't always for the best.

I hope we go top 4 next year to shove it up a few on this board. This thread has been horrible reading, it really has.

Just remember that with every highly touted coach in waiting that there is always the possibility of unearthing a mark Neeld.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so come on here and other social media and melt your ******* heart out and see where that gets you.
I wouldnt of given Ken an extension until we saw how 2018 pans out but its a done deal.
Sooking about the past doesnt change the future.
That's exactly what I said. The attitude of , we dont care what the paid up members think of it , is of no consequence . Will get us back to tarps days , no one on here agrees with 3+ years and for good reason , and telling us to just settle down and accept it will hasten KT's departure , bank on it.

The reason why the majority of this board don't agree with the decision is because all the people who would have seen things differently have been railroaded out of the forum by the constant negativity.

This board does not a) run the club or b) represent the view of the wider Port Adelaide Football Club community. No one of importance cares about the opinion of a bunch of petulant children. Confirmed what I've always thought about a lot of you.

If the club had decided to let Ken go, I would have accepted it as them saying that he is great at developing players but he isn't capable of winning us a flag.

Too bad for most of you that they see it how I do.

To those who have accepted the decision and decided to support the direction the club has taken, kudos. No one respects a suckface, and it's the responsibility of a Port Adelaide supporter to continually question the commitment and dedication of the club to winning a flag.

To those that think they know better...suck failure, freaks.

I keep reading that this re-signing will end any distracting speculation on his future for next season.

That distracting speculation would only really exist if he was doing badly. If he was doing well he'd be signed without much discussion.

If we get to the half way point of the season in 2018 and we haven't shown some significant improvement, the masses will be just as restless as they would have been without the contract in place, but you'll also have the crowds continuing to drop off because they don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

We had a pretty good run in 2017. Our double ups were against 1st, 8th, 13th, 17th and 18th. We had no real injuries of note. How is that going to go in 2018?

If we ****ing lose another ****ing game where we dominate the I50s and can't score, or if we keep coming up short against good teams like we have for 3 years, you won't have avoided distraction by making this call. You'll have a supporter base absolutely baying for blood. It won't just be Hinkley, it'll be KT and Koch and anyone else involved in decision making in the firing line.

And I absolutely reserve the right to go in with a negative attitude for the next season. I love this football club and I want us to win more than anything. I think we've made a really poor decision which will hurt our chances of winning, and i'll absolutely go straight on the attack if my fears are realised. It sickens me a bit that we have this Care Bear attitude from supporters where we should just be positive and love the coach and it'll all work out. It's exactly what Koch has tried to foster since he arrived and it isn't my Port Adelaide Football Club. It's pissweak and it's a no-hoper attitude. We don't exist to provide warm and fuzzy feelings, we exist to win and we need to be absolutely ruthless in the pursuit of winning.

The reason why the majority of this board don't agree with the decision is because all the people who would have seen things differently have been railroaded out of the forum by the constant negativity.

This board does not a) run the club or b) represent the view of the wider Port Adelaide Football Club community. No one of importance cares about the opinion of a bunch of petulant children. Confirmed what I've always thought about a lot of you.

If the club had decided to let Ken go, I would have accepted it as them saying that he is great at developing players but he isn't capable of winning us a flag.

To those who have accepted the decision and decided to support the direction the club has taken, kudos. No one respects a suckface, and it's the responsibility of a Port Adelaide supporter to continually question the commitment and dedication of the club to winning a flag.

**** off Janus.

You spent the whole year talking complete shit about how the gameplan was sound and we'd still win the flag and how everything was just fine and moving forward as you've predicted it and you ****ing move the goal posts every time we **** up another game we should have won.

There are fundamental problems with the way we've played which have cost us games over and over again. As a team, are significantly less than the sum of our parts. That isn't negativity, it's fact. After 5 years in the hot seat, it's 100% on the coach.

I'm not sure what Port supporters you're speaking to, but i'm not seeing a lot of love for this decision anywhere. At best people are happy to wait and see but didn't see the need for the extension.

Do you practice at being an arsehat or does it come naturally?

I keep reading that this re-signing will end any distracting speculation on his future for next season.

That distracting speculation would only really exist if he was doing badly. If he was doing well he'd be signed without much discussion.

If we get to the half way point of the season in 2018 and we haven't shown some significant improvement, the masses will be just as restless as they would have been without the contract in place, but you'll also have the crowds continuing to drop off because they don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

We had a pretty good run in 2017. Our double ups were against 1st, 8th, 13th, 17th and 18th. We had no real injuries of note. How is that going to go in 2018?

If we ******* lose another ******* game where we dominate the I50s and can't score, or if we keep coming up short against good teams like we have for 3 years, you won't have avoided distraction by making this call. You'll have a supporter base absolutely baying for blood. It won't just be Hinkley, it'll be KT and Koch and anyone else involved in decision making in the firing line.

And I absolutely reserve the right to go in with a negative attitude for the next season. I love this football club and I want us to win more than anything. I think we've made a really poor decision which will hurt our chances of winning, and i'll absolutely go straight on the attack if my fears are realised. It sickens me a bit that we have this Care Bear attitude from supporters where we should just be positive and love the coach and it'll all work out. It's exactly what Koch has tried to foster since he arrived and it isn't my Port Adelaide Football Club. It's pissweak and it's a no-hoper attitude. We don't exist to provide warm and fuzzy feelings, we exist to win and we need to be absolutely ruthless in the pursuit of winning.

Excellent post.

Confirmed what I've always thought about a lot of you.

Mate, everything that ever happens "confirms what you've always thought" about everything. That's why your thoughts are empty, albeit often prettily presented.

So that emergency members focus group meeting, that we both attended, was a response to a few petulant children in an insignificant forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back