News Hinkley is staying -3 year contract extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many game plans have we been through now? 3?

Failure is pretty clear. If KT considers the last season a success, I'll never be able to come to a happy medium with him on the decision because we have fundamentally different football beliefs.

Dictate is clear. Ken and his manager used the threat of GC to force our hand prematurely into a deal in which we take on significant risk to keep a coach who has achieved nothing.

As for this "distraction" furphy that keeps getting peddled, in what scenario do people think this was going to be a distraction that genuinely hurts us? If we are going well enough that we're a good flag chance, he gets an instant extension which he definitely accepts. If we're not, the speculation doesn't disrupt anything and we have a cheap and easy out.

Actually the terms "failure" and "success" are totally subjective and dependent on the criteria established to define the terms.

The potential distractions and looming deadlines are not furphies - they are genuine risks and ones that needs to be mitigated in negotiations. I often tell the story of a young negotiator that was sent to Japan several years ago to negotiate a contract. Upon arrival his hosts kindly asked how long he was there for so they could confirm his flights (they now knew his deadline). Being gratuitous hosts and determining this was his first time to Japan they offered to show him some of the local sights and experience some of the local culture (distractions). It probably comes as no surprise that in order to get the contract finalized he was the one who had to make the majority of concessions during the course of negotiations. That's why I say allowing others to control timelines and potential distractions is a very bad negotiating position.

I think that KT considered 2017 a success in some areas. Total reorganisation last off season and then the game plan change being bedded in and young players getting opportunity. Something to build on next year. I do sort of wonder though why Tigers were able to get their changed game plan up and going more easily than we did.
A more mature list....

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I rarely scroll back and see whats been said but i dare say the melts flew thick n fast.
I was hoping the kids would get a couple of finals under their belt but it wasnt to be, ive liked what i've seen so far from them. Consistency will come with more games under their belt and i think we have the makings of a solid lineup.
I want to see Boak step up n take his spot back as a regular starting mid and lead these younger kids from the front. Its hard to lead from the flank. If not the captaincy is yours to lose Ollie.
Galvanise as a playing group,coaches and us as supporters n leave the shit in the past.
Whats done is done.
If we dont have a flag by the end of Kens current contract then by all means melt hard n fire up the microwaves but until then lets enjoy this ride.
SPP,Dougal,Houston,Bonner,Atley,Marshall,AJ,Clurey etc playing good footy with the likes of Ryder,Ollie,Gray,Dix,Ebert,Jonas and co is enough to have me pretty optimistic.
Until 2018 season starts its all about the Packers for me.

Actually the terms "failure" and "success" are totally subjective and dependent on the criteria established to define the terms.

If 2017 was considered a success by the decision makers, Hinkley isn't who needed to go.

The potential distractions and looming deadlines are not furphies - they are genuine risks and ones that needs to be mitigated in negotiations. I often tell the story of a young negotiator that was sent to Japan several years ago to negotiate a contract. Upon arrival his hosts kindly asked how long he was there for so they could confirm his flights (they now knew his deadline). Being gratuitous hosts and determining this was his first time to Japan they offered to show him some of the local sights and experience some of the local culture (distractions). It probably comes as no surprise that in order to get the contract finalized he was the one who had to make the majority of concessions during the course of negotiations. That's why I say allowing others to control timelines and potential distractions is a very bad negotiating position.

A slightly lesser negotiating postion isn't worth doing a deal which puts all the risk on us over quite a long term.

Again, what scenario are you dreaming up where waiting hurts us?

If Hinkley moves to GC now, his heart wasn't in it and it's good he went.

If Hinkley stays and doesn't improve, we have a really easy out.

If Hinkley stays and improves to the point where we're a contender, we have a really easy decision to extend, which Ken accepts because he wants to be here, especially if we're winning.

Lighten up fellas. It's a fait accompli. Bad for your health to always focus on the negative. It truly is.
View attachment 417907

Given how much you, Thundercloud and Dazalenko4Cucksville love missing finals and see mediocrity as a virtue we should forever be grateful for, what isn't 'negative' in your eyes?

Scraping into the eight and a week one exit every year?

Because if you were looking at getting amongst the NFL you'd simply adore the Cincinnati Bengals and their permanent head coach, Marvin Lewis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given how much you, Thundercloud and Dazalenko4Cucksville love missing finals and see mediocrity as a virtue we should forever be grateful for, what isn't 'negative' in your eyes?

Scraping into the eight and a week one exit every year?

Because if you were looking at getting amongst the NFL you'd simply adore the Cincinnati Bengals and their permanent head coach, Marvin Lewis.
You have me wrong. I like Ken but I was actually neither here nor there about him staying. If Ken had left I would have accepted it and I would have moved on. I wouldn't have spent the next year bemoaning the fact. Of course you can continue your hand wringing if it serves you well. You have plenty of similar minded mates here.

You have me wrong. I like Ken but I was actually neither here nor there about him staying. If Ken had left I would have accepted it and I would have moved on. I wouldn't have spent the next year bemoaning the fact. Of course you can continue your hand wringing if it serves you well. You have plenty of similar minded mates here.

But what do you want?

Are you just happy to have a football club brimming with likeable types, who don't particularly win a lot, but are merely a winter-filler on par with a middling soap?

Or do you want the elite football club Port Adelaide used to be, where everyone knew what they were working towards and were under no illusions a lack of progress wouldn't be tolerated?

Because your signalling is contradictory.

You're all over how good the Crows have gotten and bemoan the ubiquitous press they get, but you're content to watch us do nothing about their newfound hegemony, seemingly happy to watch Ken flounder through another 12 months of empty platitudes?

This place is going to be unbearable next year

Any game with a result below expectations will be met by hordes of german-pretzelling wizzkids coming out of the woodwork to crow about missed opportunities on selection night, weep for SANFL world beaters, cannibalise designated whipping boys and circle and jerk around the dead horses of yesteryear while humming to the endless tune of "4 more years"

Any game with a result below expectations will be met by hordes of german-pretzelling wizzkids coming out of the woodwork to crow about missed opportunities on selection night, weep for SANFL world beaters, cannibalise designated whipping boys and circle and jerk around the dead horses of yesteryear while humming to the endless tune of "4 more years"

So exactly the same as the past 3 years? It's almost as if you could plot a trend and forecast for change.

Or, you know, just point out that we're still consistently achieving less than the list ought to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back