Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

But that was after failing in 2003 with no Primus Francou and James. It took us 2004 to learn how to succeed without the first 2.
I agree, just putting it out there that losing Paddy and Gus isn't the end of 2016 as all the texts and what not I'm getting. It's a blow but we will survive and they'll be huge inclusions in 2017. For me I hope the Essendon players don't appeal and this is the end of it.

Also, as a side note.

> People despair over Lobbe being unable to play in a ruck duo
> Lobbe better as no 1 ruck
> Ryder out for a year
> Oh **** we have to play Lobbe

Any idea what happens with us list wise? Do we get top ups?

Disappointing for Gus and Ryder, but feels a lot like the correct decision. I know it's easy to say otherwise in hindsight, but I always felt that this was the way it had to go for the WADC to be followed. Sucks for the players, but there's no grey area... all athletes are responsible for what goes into their system, and this is exactly what I've been saying for three years:

(i) The Players had all received education in anti-doping. It was common ground that the AFL anti-doping training for the Players included emphasis on individual responsibility for what supplements were used and an obligation to declare use of any supplements. A clear warning to the effect appeared on the cover of the 2010 AFL Anti-Doping Code. Mr. Hille, among others, conceded awareness of the AFL anti-doping education program.
(ii) No Player appears to have made use of the WADA hotline or indeed any other hotline.
(iii) No Player appear (sic) to have conducted internet searches for Thymosin or to have made any other inquiry as to its elements or properties.
(iv) No Player asked the Club doctor - the obvious first port of call - for advice about Thymosin, although all signed a consent form to its administration. Given that it is the primary responsibility of a Player to ensure that he does not make use of a prohibited substance, the Players' lack of curiosity is fatal to the success of this particular plea [No Significant Fault]. Nor is it relevant that a Player received only a handful of injections as distinct from multiple injections. The appropriate time to make enquiry was when the Player consented to submit to the regime of which he was ex hypothesi aware.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/co...s/news-story/2c97065ed9edb5f912170232eb8ec86d
It has been reported Essendon players will still be able to appeal today’s verdict through the Swiss Federal Tribunal because the CAS is located in Lausanne, Swizerland.
More ...
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/co...s/news-story/2c97065ed9edb5f912170232eb8ec86d
But its not as simple they can appeal. There are very restricted grounds to appeal to a Swiss Federal Tribunal. My understanding is there has only been 2 appeals since 1986, but I need to check that.

Also, as a side note.

> People despair over Lobbe being unable to play in a ruck duo
> Lobbe better as no 1 ruck
> Ryder out for a year
> Oh **** we have to play Lobbe

Any idea what happens with us list wise? Do we get top ups?

We can cover Monfries but would like a mature ruckman as coverage if we can get a supplement player (eg darcy cameron 204 cm from the WAFL).

Is Monfries still a best 18 player?
Not in my eyes. When I was writing my team for the week in the second half of 2015 9 times out of 10 I put him on the bench. This was to be year 4 of a 4 year deal. He had to have a good year to get a 1 year deal at the end of the year.

I'm conflicted. I want to win a premiership but do you really want to win the one that is now irreversibly diluted? The 2016 flag is now the year Essendon got their entire team suspended flag therefore not a real flag.

Edit: not conflicted, more concerned that a premiership now wouldn't be viewed with the same lustre.

Clubs have been winning flags with Fitzroy, Melbourne and St. Kilda all there and sometimes all 3 being guaranteed 100 point wins.

Well this is very sad news.

I think our premiership chances drop substantially due to this. Lobbe has had very few good finals, and Ryder gave us a significant advantage in the ruck. Without that advantage we lose our edge over some teams.

Yes Lobbe does decently as the number one ruckman, and we do have Trengove available with Frampton waiting in the wings. But its still a significant loss.

Also consider the ridiculous amount of pressure Lobbe will feel given the situation.

Anyway **** this, day ruining news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There saying on the Essendon board that the AFL has already approved top up players for them, so I'd imagine it would be the same for us.

Not in my eyes. When I was writing my team for the week in the second half of 2015 9 times out of 10 I put him on the bench. This was to be year 4 of a 4 year deal. He had to have a good year to get a 1 year deal at the end of the year.
Interested to see how the club deals with this at the end of the year. Out of contract and no form to go on. But at the same time you would want us to look after him since he and we had no idea of this.

We can cover Monfries but would like a mature ruckman as coverage if we can get a supplement player (eg darcy cameron 204 cm from the WAFL).
Why didnt we ****en pick him up with our 3rd round pick in the rookie draft. What happens if claremont refuse to let him break his contract? Would the AFL let us register a player who has broken his own legally binding agreement?? Will the AFL send in their integrity unit to check the integrity of that situation??

Last edited:
I can't imagine Mitchell and Cotchin being too excited about being awarded joint brownlows 3 years later...

I'd probably pop over to Jobes and hand it back.

Team we could play in round 3:

B: Mark Baguley, Mitch Brown, James Gwilt

HB: Jason Ashby, Michael Hartley, Courtenay Dempsey

C: Jackson Merrett, Brendon Goddard, David Zaharakis

HF: Zach Merrett, Shaun McKernan, Patrick Ambrose

F: Nick Kommer, Joe Daniher, Jayden Laverde

Foll: Matthew Leuenberger, Adam Cooney, Craig Bird

Inter: Kyle Langford, Orazio Fantasia, Martin Gleeson, Shaun Edwards

Interested to see how the club deals with this at the end of the year. Out of contract and no form to go on. But at the same time you would want us to look after him since he and we had no idea of this.

No only that, but Monfires came to us when we were at our lowest eb. we were getting belted each week in front of 10,000 and he still came.

Are there any ruckman still at Essendon involved in this mess? Obviously they will be hunting for one then as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back