How do we open Adelaide Oval?

Remove this Banner Ad

You're all being drama queens. It was an okay opening day. We play footy. We didn't do that properly and need to get better.
Today wasn't just about a game of football, it was a day where we played our first home match at the redeveloped AO. It should have been spectacular. Not surprised at how shit it was. I can't believe that I am saying this, but today, I was embarrassed to be an AFC supporter. Nothing made sense to me today. Are we supporting a club aimed at kids?? The **** is this bullshit!!!!!!!! I'm tired of it.

Could not go today as 1st round of Amateur League and watching sons play but if I read it right Trigg receive the ball from our first game vs Hawthorn from Cornes. Why would it be Trigg for $#^$^ sake? It should have been either the Coach or Captain not the CEO. We go to see our team not administrators.

What was with the crow kids? Firstly, I'm not sure mascots are ever meant to procreate. Is the big crow their dad or guardian? Where is the mother and is it also a crow mascot? Secondly, what was the point of them at all? It basically sums up the target audience of our marketing department.

Did anyone else think of this when they came out?

maxresdefault.jpg

I didn't realise that, bit hard to criticise them on that then.

Agree, fairly sure they said they were giving kids supported by Variety (sick, disadvantaged or special needs) but I could be wrong on the charity (but fairly sure because that's the one they were supporting with those recent photos of Tex with the girl in a ballerina costume), the chance to get out on the ground and experience it. Probably the highlight of their year and something to look forward to and get excited about.

Last edited:
What would people like to see in the pre-match?

I would be happy to see the kids stuff from maybe an hour out to keep families who arrive early happy. Far enough out before the game that even if it is cringe worthy who really cares.

Then once more people are in the stadium a 15 minute video package well put together of the weeks press conferences and interviews mixed with some fun player stuff filmed during the week, throw in some highlights packages set to music maybe. This would turn the focus to football and get people ready for the game. Some relevant on field interviews.

More stuff outside for different audiences maybe.

Then do the music stuff, teams run out etc. smoke, coloured smoke, fireworks? Doesn't matter, followed by the game.

Now this would probably be boring to most but I don't think it's possible to appeal to everyone. Basically for me, keep it simple, keep it about football, and don't annoy me with background noise from hosts all afternoon.

Is the problem trying to appeal to so many people for too long? Keep it short and well done. I have a feeling things are only going to get worse as an AFL trend, Collingwoods Funk Squad style dance troop launched tonight is an example.

Last edited:
Let's be honest the entertainment at the biggest game of the year the Grand Final with all the AFL can muster has been memorable only for all the wrong reasons (Angry Anderson / Meatloaf). It's not easy. Smoke and mirrors helps, but the best engagement comes from things that are organic rather than forced down your throats. I hope the 'Eddie' call catches on more, we haven't had that since The Weed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be honest the entertainment at the biggest game of the year the Grand Final with all the AFL can muster has been memorable only for all the wrong reasons (Angry Anderson / Meatloaf). It's not easy. Smoke and mirrors helps, but the best engagement comes from things that are organic rather than forced down your throats. I hope the 'Eddie' call catches on more, we haven't had that since The Weed.
I agree.. I don't really want any entertainment or care for it..
The best thing they did though with any of that side stuff (not necessarily "entertainment" though) was the crows flying on the LED signs etc.. Was simple, it looked effective and was more about our club than all the other rubbish..

But that's why Trigg should just stfu instead of going on all week how awesome the entertainment is and he just knows we will love it..
But he has a great history of telling us how to think or behave, what to like, or what we are..

Ok - enough of the club bashing.

If you think they do things better than us, go support them. Stop kicking the club whist we are down.

I do

Just wait until next week when they only get 30,000 vs the Lions.

Pure speculation

The song? Was very good, it was different. I really enjoyed it. Some didn't like it as they would then have to admit to giving Trigg or the club credit.

Agree, a brilliant rendition. Who was she?

The 19th man flag was good as well. The handing over of the first ball and a square of grass was ok.

19th man disappeared when it got to our seats.

The smoke thing with the indigenous community was interesting.

Smoking ceremonies cleanse.

The players let the club and day down. Right now, we are a very bad side but the day, before the game was engaging.

What a horrible throng of non-human cretins they are. A good society is one where children are told they cannot do something, but with no logical explanation given - and don't question it, because that's just "how it is"

You'll make a great parent. If you already are one, I hope you will reflect on how you frame the world around you and treat them as the human beings (with minds and value systems) that they are.
Are you serious now?? ****ing hell lol! Of course they should have fun things for the kids to do and make them love the club, but what I said is that they they are marketing the club to kids only which is wrong IMO because a large part of the AFC members/supporters are adults and thus they should try and market the club to cater for all ages. What you wrote is stupid. C'mon mate...

I really liked the crow noise, am I the only one? :confused:

Didn't think it was childish at all

I really liked it at as well, a friend of mine who was with me at the game made a great point though why fill it with Foodland logos. Surely as a club we don't have to sell everything off for a dollar.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

How do we open Adelaide Oval?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back