Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Where will Geelong finish in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we are up against it in the midfield v anyone basically but Port and the Dogs are the two teams I would want to avoid from that perspective and they are likely to be the two teams we will have to play. Sydney have a good midfield and Heeney may well tear us apart if we were to meet, but Sydney's mids much more likely to shit it in a one off game than Port or the Dogs for mine.

Port and wbd also have the sort of rucks that wont exploit a stanley on his last legs or sdk rucking.
Gws and sydney are much more worrisome woth their rucks hence id rather get port and back in dangerfield.

Highly likely that we’ll have seven players play their first career final next month.

Bruhn, Bowes, O Henry, Neale, Dempsey, Mannagh, Humphries.

Five of those weren’t even on our list two years ago when we won the flag.

Just remarkable from top to bottom - recruiting, development, coaching - that we can win a flag, refresh 1/3rd of the side, and make top 4 again.
This is beating the system. Finding players and renewing the list without the rightful capital to do so. Remarkable indeed.

But Geelong is old, the cliff, derp, etc. 🥴

Nah I’ll watch at home.

Yeah I am nervous about the fixture considering we have struggled against Port at AO in finals recently. And I don’t think we’re good enough this year anyway regardless of the opponent.

You’re right though, Port have been inconsistent like every other team and there’s always a chance.
Then just enjoy the ride. Any success is a bonus.

If you're the nervous type, that's a much better scenario than knowing we're the best team in it and just praying we don't **** it up.

So I won’t be able to help myself…but I am going to TRY and ignore the results today and accept that we play whoever, whenever - after 24 rounds of ups and downs.

Earlier this week I was very exercised about hoping Bulldogs miss (so we don’t meet them at anytime) or at least we get 4th so we avoid Hawks/Bulldogs second week - and somehow I thought we might have better chance of beating sydney in sydney that port or GWS… but to be frank it is a lottery so I am going to try and relax!

Obviously the perfect scenario on paper is GWS lose and Port by 4 goals and we get home final first week. Having said that it will then be against Port at MCG - which again sounds better than at AO but I still think is a lottery that will make it worse if we lose!! (Of course it is better but I am not sure 100% changes any of the risk).

Put simply, IMHO we need a surprise win first week - and that can happen anywhere. Whilst I don’t like the pre finals bye I think it could be good for us…. Give Danger and Jezza a rest (as well as a couple of the young boys as I know 2-3 of them including the two Ollies have been struggling to train over past couple of weeks) and get Tommy, SDK and Lawson right….that gives us the best chance of having our “big 3” play out of their skins and have the rest follow…

If we win week one we get another week off which will be huge for us.

I don’t subscribe to the notion that if we lose week 1 we are likely to be our in straight sets - but I do think if we lose week 1 I can’t see how we then win three in a row given our demographic…

How exciting it is to be in this position.
I am failing! You would think Dogs will hold on unless Toby Green continues to do things other people can’t.

If Dogs do win we play Port - only question is whether at AO or MCG.

Port it is then.

I'm already feeling pre-emptively nauseous at the prospect of losing at Adelaide Oval in a Qualifying Final to Ken Hinkley for a third time.

But anything is possible I guess. If we can somehow break even in the midfield then we have the forward line to challenge them.

Port it is then.

I'm already feeling pre-emptively nauseous at the prospect of losing at Adelaide Oval in a Qualifying Final to Ken Hinkley for a third time.

But anything is possible I guess. If we can somehow break even in the midfield then we have the forward line to challenge them.
Just keep it away from Aliir Aliir

I am failing! You would think Dogs will hold on unless Toby Green continues to do things other people can’t.

If Dogs do win we play Port - only question is whether at AO or MCG.
So I was never going to not watch. And worth the watch as I love to see Carlton beaten. Especially like that.

Bonus of course is now freo have huge incentive to win. Need them to win by 4-5 goals of course which doesn’t matter to them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I was never going to not watch. And worth the watch as I love to see Carlton beaten. Especially like that.

Bonus of course is now freo have huge incentive to win. Need them to win by 4-5 goals of course which doesn’t matter to them

Go freo!

Assuming Port score around 80 points (35 in second half) free are going to have to score 100 to get Cats second. Of course freo dont care

For me I am somewhat relaxed as to whether we play port at MCG or AO (obvisouly prefer it in Melbourne) but I really really want Carlton not to make it!

You know we only lost by a goal against port right? No danger, and Stewart was not playing his new role.

I think we'll do allright in the rematch.
The "seat filler" McEntee will likely return too his role on TS and the nuisance of DBJ will be around like a bad smell, again he contributed to their W against the dockers.
We can't allow those bit players to have their moments. Smart forward entries to our forwards will heap deer to headlights moments on that back line as long as we nail our shots on gl.

Last edited:
The "seat filler" McEntee will likely return too his role on TS and the nuisance of DBJ will be around like a bad smell, again he contributed to their W against the dockers.
We can't allow those bit players to have their moments. Smart forward entries to our forwards will heap deer to headlights moments on that back line as long as we nail our shots on gl.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stewart will be playing midfield this time so im pretty sure mcentee wont be on him.

It's not the best outcome is it
Our finals record at AO is deplorable too

Port are easily the weakest of the top 4 teams. At MCG would have been better due to our poor finals record at AO but i think we can overcome it.

It's not the best outcome is it
Our finals record at AO is deplorable too
I can't see how our finals record at Adelaide Oval is relevant to the outcome of this game. Last time we played Port was 2021 and the teams are very different this year.

Our recent H&A record at Adelaide Oval isn't too bad, it's much better than our recent record at the SCG where we haven't won in 4 years.

Incredible how quiet the "realists" have been this year after loudly telling us before the season started that we were miles off it.

Reading the start of this thread again even the optimists thought we could only complete if everything went right.

If you'd told me at the start of the year that Guthrie and Hawkins would have no impact, Blicavs and Stewart would have their worst years in memory and the ruck division would be a complete mess I would've assumed we would miss finals. But here we are somehow top 4 giving ourselves a great chance to have a crack.

Incredible how quiet the "realists" have been this year after loudly telling us before the season started that we were miles off it.

Reading the start of this thread again even the optimists thought we could only complete if everything went right.

If you'd told me at the start of the year that Guthrie and Hawkins would have no impact, Blicavs and Stewart would have their worst years in memory and the ruck division would be a complete mess I would've assumed we would miss finals. But here we are somehow top 4 giving ourselves a great chance to have a crack.
Remember, the “realists” were in full cry after the 2021 Prelim loss too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Back