Irving Mosquito, we hardly knew ye: Essendon bid and Hawthorn passes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not true.

It simply means they wanted Himmelberg at 15. Or that North WANTED Heeney at 2 You risk actually getting the player you bid for if the other team don't match. There's no bluff, or calling and seeing. You bid, if they don't match, he's yours.

If they bid, it means they want the player at that pick. No club would waste a valuable pick on a player they don't want.
Sorry when I said Roos, I meant Paul Roos/Melbourne.

Prior to Himmelberg, all the draft talk was that Richmond were going to take Rioli, and no one had Himmelberg going that early. Obviously Richmond ended up with Rioli.

By keeping our intentions with Irving to ourselves, if a club reaches for him, it will be because they genuinely want him.

Below is an exert from the Essendon Herald about Essendon keeping clubs honest with father son and academy selections:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...k/news-story/110aafd3a0775d6a527ee4aad9d5586b

When the AFL changed the bidding system last year it was expected no club would bid the first selection on an academy or father-son prospect.

A matched bid would result in the bottom club selecting again at No.2 and relinquishing the marketability and prestige of boasting the standout player.

But sources confirmed the Bombers were open to the idea to help boost equity in the draft.

Last year the Bombers forced Carlton to take father-son prospect Jack Silvagni at No.53 and rivals welcomed the No.1 possibility.

They do not want a repeat of last year, when Greater Western Sydney secured star midfielders Jacob Hopper and Matthew Kennedy below market price.

Hopper slipped to No.7 despite Carlton finding it hard to split him and No.1 pick Jacob Weitering, while Kennedy was seen as a top-five talent but fell to No.13.

The Bombers chose not to bid on either player.

“We have to make these academy teams pay for the inadequacies of the draft,” one scout said.

“They’ve got a massive advantage and the AFL needs to see that the bottom team didn’t get the best player.

“You might finish on the bottom but get the fourth-best player.”

Sorry when I said Roos, I meant Paul Roos/Melbourne.

By keeping our intentions with Irving to ourselves, if a club reaches for him, it will be because they genuinely want him.

When the AFL changed the bidding system last year it was expected no club would bid the first selection on an academy or father-son prospect.

I maintain this is already the case. If a club bids pick 2, it means they want that player at pick 2. If they bid pick 7, they want that player with pick 7. Or whatever.

It's not skullduggery, or keeping academy clubs 'honest', by making them take the player with a higher pick than they wanted. They are bound by their bid.

The honesty in the system comes from market forces, pure and simple.

If there is any recruiting team out there so inept that the only reason they have to bid on a player is that they find out he's wanted by another team... It could only be St Kilda

No one is going to bid on a player if they don’t want them at that pick.

Whilst unlikely i can see situations where it could.

Just as an example say GC hold picks 2,3 and 6 and Sydney hold pick 4 and 5.

GC bid on Blakely at #2 potentially pushing Sydney's #5 back.

GC would be happy with him at #2 but Sydney would always match.

As i said very unlikely though.

Whilst unlikely i can see situations where it could.

Just as an example say GC hold picks 2,3 and 6 and Sydney hold pick 4 and 5.

GC bid on Blakely at #2 potentially pushing Sydney's #5 back.

GC would be happy with him at #2 but Sydney would always match.

As i said very unlikely though.
In that situation #4 would be enough to match but I see the scenario you setting up in that they’ll bid early to increase the their pick

Didn’t Dodoro bid for Jack Silvagni? Tosser.
“Dumb as dog shit” was the Quote I was given from someone who worked with him at EFC. So I’m not surprised. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A member of Hawthorn's Next Generation Academy, he has officially been nominated by the Hawks, enabling them to match any bid on the talented teenager at the draft.

Having trained under Alastair Clarkson and his Hawthorn charges earlier in the year, Mosquito was able to learn from his heroes – even Rioli. Now, he'll be hoping he can help fill the void left by the four-time premiership champion in the near future.
Hawks' NGA member Irving Mosquito does everything with a smile.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-13/its-infectious-smiling-draft-prospect-mosquito-creating-a-buzz

Surprised this isn't on the HFC web site yet:huh:

its something the fans can really get into. fantastic news

I’ve seen him play locally a few times and I know we have these romantic notions of him being a Cyril replacement but at this point he’s not tracking the same as Cyril was , he’s got great speed and potential but without the fact that he is indigenous with an extremely marketable name he’s a 3rd rounder at best if not rookie . He does possess great character and personality though in other words he’s a great kid just don’t get your hopes up too high .

I’ve seen him play locally a few times and I know we have these romantic notions of him being a Cyril replacement but at this point he’s not tracking the same as Cyril was , he’s got great speed and potential but without the fact that he is indigenous with an extremely marketable name he’s a 3rd rounder at best if not rookie . He does possess great character and personality though in other words he’s a great kid just don’t get your hopes up too high .
Agreed - I don’t recall the same hype about us nominating CJ (Jiath) last year, and he’s probably of similar quality as a player at this stage.

Cool ya jets on Irving people. He might become an AFL standard player, but there’s every chance he might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back