Irving Mosquito, we hardly knew ye: Essendon bid and Hawthorn passes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised we passed because we didn't have to give up much. I doubt we even rated him a very late pick, must have been a rookie only. To decline to give up 49 and the last pick of the draft (that comes back to us anyway) shows that we just didn't rate him.

I'm disappointed as I liked what I saw. Our staff obviously see a lot more than the clips and reports that we do so I'm sure they made a good call.

Nice to still see some support for him here. Maybe he will be the player that brings about bigfooty peace between our supporter bases.
He's an essendon supporter and his name is our mascot, but i will always think of him as future-cyril.
There's no reason for any of us to turn on the kid because of where he's landed. We can curse Essendon for bidding and we can curse Hawthorn for not matching, but he's done nothing to deserve this fate. As far as I'm concerned he's the victim, not the villain.

Wonder whether Dodoro was trying to be a little too cute.

If he wasn't to come to us, Im actually glad he went to Essendon. He is a great kid, an Essendon supporter, they have some good indigenous mentors and he gets to stay in Melbourne.

All that said, it certainly looked like Dodoro's little fist pump was a bit forced, I honestly think he was being a bit cheeky and wasn't expecting us to match.

Im not going to say I hope it backfires though, because Im not a prick. Good luck to the kid.

I got the sense Essendon were just trying to be cute and it backfired.
We were pretty quick on the non-matching and not flustered at all. We've known him for 2 years and he's trained with the club, so should be aware of his potential.....and his body/injuries

Good for Mozzie as he's a mad essendon supporter. Wish him all the best.

Do you think we would have spent a rookie pick on him?
we were hoping to get him cat B
it's the main reason we nominated him

if nobody picks him he's straight onto the cat b rookie list

If he wasn't to come to us, Im actually glad he went to Essendon. He is a great kid, an Essendon supporter, they have some good indigenous mentors and he gets to stay in Melbourne.

All that said, it certainly looked like Dodoro's little fist pump was a bit forced, I honestly think he was being a bit cheeky and wasn't expecting us to match.

Im not going to say I hope it backfires though, because Im not a prick. Good luck to the kid.

Agreed. All the best for the kid. :thumbsu:

The fist pump did look a little bit forced. Herald Sun will spin it as only they do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does everyone on here always think there is something else to it. Hawks didnt rate him and essendon did at three first pick , Clubs ranking systems would be all very different . Just heard dodoro say he spoke to Wright 2 days ago and he was told we wouldn't match.

Yep.

All sounds pretty clean cut. So we move along.

I did like his smile. Looked like a happy player who would fit well in any team.

He will fit in well with Walla.

A mistake not to match. Oh well, we have our own draft pick to delist after two poor years at Box hill

IMO both Walker and Koschitzke are superior players to Mosquito at this stage.

Good luck Mozzie. I'm sorry this happened to you.

As much as the club seemed to like him it did seem odd for us to be pursuing a small forward. I know Cyril just left and Poppy is running out of legs, but we've got some decent performers in the younger crop.

KPF is our biggest need and we drafted in a big lump of a lad. The rest is up to the development team.

I'm extremely dissapointed he didn't end up a hawk.

A special talent with great character and would have sold memberships and been a fan favourite.

Wish him all the best but gee wizz i don't think we expected that to happen.

I'm extremely dissapointed he didn't end up a hawk.

A special talent with great character and would have sold memberships and been a fan favourite.

Wish him all the best but gee wizz i don't think we expected that to happen.

The club did the right thing. He is very small and slight and will take at least 2 seasons before you know if he will make the big time. He was worth a rookie spot and that is about it. Essendon have seriously overreached by trying to be too clever at #38. IMO, they should have been drafting a developing defensive tall to replace Hooker.

The club did the right thing. He is very small and slight and will take at least 2 seasons before you know if he will make the big time. He was worth a rookie spot and that is about it. Essendon have seriously overreached by trying to be too clever at #38. IMO, they should have been drafting a developing defensive tall to replace Hooker.
Like Zerk-Thatcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back