Votes: 23 48.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do you find free agency interesting? You may think FA began in 2012 but we can actually go back to 1973 when the VFL introduced the 10 year rule that allowed any player to move clubs after completing 10 years of service with their first team. Any football historian will tell you that North Melbourne were the major winners of the 10 year rule when they brought in Barry Davis, John Rantall and Doug Wade. The VFL removed the rule not long afterward after realising the impact it was having on the competition. You could make the argument that the recruitment of those three players for North led to their first VFL premiership just two years later. Now let's have a look at the big players that have been involved in the modern version of free agency:

2012 Free Agency
Brendon Goddard (2002 No.1 Draft Pick)

2013 Free Agency
Lance Franklin (2004 No.5 Draft Pick)
Dale Thomas (2005 No.2 Draft Pick)

2014 Free Agency
Bryce Gibbs (2006 No.1 Draft Pick)
James Frawley

We know the media have written a lot about both Gibbs and Frawley potentially leaving their respective clubs through free agency at the end of this season and it appears the media speculation is only going to get more intense each year. Then you look back to the frenzy Buddy caused last year with his nine year contract and you are getting stories that we would never have been exposed to in the past. You couldn't imagine a Collingwood player going to Carlton in the past but Daisy Thomas made it a reality last year.

The footy community seems to be slowly coming around to the concept and appear to be more accepting of player movement. So, as an AFL, do you find free agency interesting?

Nope. It's extremely boring.

Doesn't come close to the hype surrounding NFL free agency, NBA free agency and the transfer season in European football.

There are massive changes in these things, unlike the AFL which is always going to be destined to have one or two major moves.

If the coverage was better, I'd probably find it more interesting.

Doesn't come close to the hype surrounding NFL free agency, NBA free agency and the transfer season in European football.

There are massive changes in these things, unlike the AFL which is always going to be destined to have one or two major moves.
I'm not sure that's actually true. I can't speak for the NFL because I don't follow it but the January transfer window really only appeared to have one major move and that was Juan Mata packing his bags to Man U. In the NBA you really only had one major movement last free agency period and that was Dwight Howard moving to Houston. Perhaps it's the total amount of player movement that intrigues you more than the major players moving around?

Not particularly.
While we have the cap room our coaching and recruiting teams have stressed we'd rather develop our own than have to lure players solely on the basis of money (could argue money with Crameri but got along exceptionally well with McCartney), so it doesn't hold much interest as to who we might sign up.

As for who's going where, I just don't care. I love footy and eat up most stats and news and features but free agency just bores me. The only result for us will be clubs like Hawthorn or clubs from interstate trying for the go-home factor throwing bundles of cash at our established players.

Don't find this year's crop particularly interesting at all. Gibbs and Frawley are certainly serviceable players and I'd be happy to have them but the price tags they've put on their heads are ridiculous and delusional, and I've got little interest in hearing the whole scenario be drummed up by the media until they move or re-sign in September.

You couldn't imagine a Collingwood player going to Carlton in the past but Daisy Thomas made it a reality last year.

Mick McGuane and Heath Scotland say hi.
And for an historical example, Ron Barassi does too. Sure, he wasn't a Collingwood player, but Melbourne and Carlton were rivals and bitter enemies back then.

"Interesting?"

No more or less than the usual banter/coverage of trade periods and who should go or stay. Still early days though so the predictions of doom and gloom could well be proven in the future but I doubt it.

On a scale of 1 to boobs, FA registers a lowly 1 interest point

It IS interesting in a philosophical way of looking at equalizing the competition. If we have a salary cap, and a simple way of players moving clubs (like FA) - it means we don't need the draft. Just pay a player what you think he deserves. It's your money (salary cap). Have all players become FAs as soon as their existing contract expires. Instead of having a draft, have an auction. 'Here's your money - spend it how you want. You want Ablett. OK. All you have to do is be the highest bidder. You probably wont be able to afford a Ruckman to tap the ball to him - your choice'.

OK - the fans don't like it because we like to see OUR boys become a team, we love the romance of associating a player with a club. But it does become a bit of luck. Example - Collingwood got lucky with Pendlebury. They had a few top picks the year that Pendlebury came into the league. They didn't want him THAT much (they picked Thomas ahead of him). Hawthorn and Carlton passed on him. That happens - Richmond only got Martin because Melbourne wanted the other 2 guys. The top of the draft produces superstars - and is pure luck. Everyone passed on Fyfe.

BUt now it means that Pendlebury cant go to another side unless they trade something of similar value (and there's not many players of that value out there). Why is that a fair system? Surely it's only fair to everyone that Pendlebury just goes to another club if they want him badly enough to pay him more - and surely that's fair to Pendlebury to maximize his income?

Top players can and do move - Ablett, Judd, Franklin, Goddard. But only after a long time and rarely more than once. Having unrestricted player transfer means a side like Melbourne could just go out and buy what THEY think is a good team for their salary cap. Bingo, Instead of their supporters suffering through a 5+ year rebuild, they go into next season on equal terms with everyone else.

I'm not saying it's a good system. To be honest, I don't want to see it. It would have huge problems with implementing it, because a) salary caps are not hard to cheat and b) players will inevitably make more money on the side from endorsements at the bigger clubs. With a national comp, players won't want to move interstate every year or so. I like the romance of a club nurturing a low-ish draft pick and after a few years, turning him into a star. I like the thought of 'these boys have all been through the hard times together, and now they reap rewards'.

But just imagine if every season started with every team having the same chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting?

276966-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Why yes. Yes it is.

No it's not interesting and I don't like it.

It's taken the loyalty out of the AFL which is one thing that made it more appealing than other sports codes. I don't like seeing established players swapping clubs willy nilly like they do in rugby league, soccer and basketball.

No it's not interesting and I don't like it.

It's taken the loyalty out of the AFL which is one thing that made it more appealing than other sports codes. I don't like seeing established players swapping clubs willy nilly like they do in rugby league, soccer and basketball.

Ask James McDonald about loyalty? It's all good to demand it of players but when clubs don't show it then you see why players have the right to free agency.

Ask James McDonald about loyalty? It's all good to demand it of players but when clubs don't show it then you see why players have the right to free agency.

I'm sure the players like free agency as it gives them more freedom to move between clubs and maximise their pay but from a supporter point of view it sucks seeing your favourite players running around for another team.

If Dean Cox switched to Freo because they offered him more money I can't imagine West Coast supporters would like it.

I'm sure the players like free agency as it gives them more freedom to move between clubs and maximise their pay but from a supporter point of view it sucks seeing your favourite players running around for another team.

If Dean Cox switched to Freo because they offered him more money I can't imagine West Coast supporters would like it.

Have you heard of a guy called Chris Judd?

Is it really loyalty to the club if they don't have a choice? If a bloke plays his career for one club these days then that is true loyalty.

Have you heard of a guy called Chris Judd?

Is it really loyalty to the club if they don't have a choice? If a bloke plays his career for one club these days then that is true loyalty.

Chris Judd was a bit different as he wanted to return to Melbourne for family reasons rather than money.

Saints supporters don't hold a grudge against Cripps for returning to Perth for family reasons, Goddard going to Essendon for more money isn't viewed as favourably although personally I don't begrudge him taking a better offer, I still don't like seeing him playing for another club though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is free agency interesting?

Back