Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

The thing is, Sam Edmund didn't really say anything. The only news, to most, is that JHF (or more to the point his manager) put contract talks on hold. That's it. He then went off on the tangent that Noble was a mean guy and four top ten players had re-signed which is all designed to make the reader jump to their own conclusions.

Flip side, this is how Jon Ralph reported it in the Herald Sun (apologies mods if this is too much copy paste but it's to make a point):

--------------------
Number one overall pick Jason Horne-Francis has put contract talks on hold until season’s end despite his encouraging progress in his debut season.
Horne-Francis is in no hurry to sign a new deal after crossing from Adelaide last year but has another year in his two-season deal and is thriving at the club.

Many of the players taken in the previous draft are yet to re-sign so the lack of a signature so far is no cause for concern.

If he was in a similar position next year
the Roos would be worried about rival suitors.

But while Horne-Francis is a born competitor who is filthy with the club’s lack of wins so far he is enjoying his time at the club.

The Roos had believed they were making strong progress on a new deal earlier in the season but for now he will not consider his deal until the season is done.

Horne-Francis has enjoyed an excellent season full of brilliant moments but the one-win Roos have been battered from pillar to post on field.

Horne-Francis has kicked 1.3 in his eight games and amassed 149 possessions, with 85 of them contested.

Those close to him are content with his progress and adamant his future lies at the club.

But as the Roos process the public fallout of David Noble’s apology to players for his round 3 behaviour they will have to wait on his deal.

-------------------------

Both articles are giving the exact same news however one rushed out to link it to current woes and Wreck-It looks like he's taken some time to get some opinion. And even if there's a bit of a puff up for North readers the perspective changes completely. It's not about JHF wanting to leave, it's about how much more lucrative the next deal may look after another half season. Williams did the exact same thing with Logan McDonald and that was shown on the Stan documentary about last years draft.

Don't worry, the flogs in the media kept gunning for us when we were struggling last under Teague and Ralphie said our process of appointing Voss as coach was a Shemozzle (and Barrett said we had a horrific off season lol)

Avoiding Ross Lyon as coach, getting in Brian Cook as Ceo, and recruiting Hewett and Cerra and i would say that was a smashing off season by Carlton.

Oddly enough , aside from Slobbo and Ro-Co on his blogs and ESPN AU, the same media gave gone really soft on Essebdon, despite having a horrific start at 2-6.

And their win over a 3-5 rebuilding Hawks was described as one of the bravest wins ever lol

North can and will withstand this media hatchet job like you have done so many times in the past.

Lining up next to Dow in the VFL?

In all seriousness, there's nothing in this. 8 games into his career and contracted for next year. There's no rush in putting pen to paper.

If North still look shit at season's end and he keeps getting better each game then he'll be able to demanda fortune. I wouldn't have signed yet either.

As mentioned previously, it’s definitely not a coincidence that the Noble apology and JHF holding off negotiations have been leaked within a similar time period. Someone there is determined to see Noble gone. I do believe that JHF will stay and is just wanting to bump up his value. I feel sorry for North here. Exploiting the predicament of the club that made a huge investment in you to boost his own pay check does not reflect well on his character. If I was North, I would make the point that no player is bigger than the club. If JHF/his management want to behave in this way and are not invested in making North better, then he can piss off.

As mentioned previously, it’s definitely not a coincidence that the Noble apology and JHF holding off negotiations have been leaked within a similar time period. Someone there is determined to see Noble gone.
Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

How so?

This might be another Adam Cerra situation again.

Freo picked up Cerra with pick 5 in the 2017 draft.

Had a solid 2018 and 2019 season. Some said he was gonna leave at the end of 2019. Signed a 2 year extension. We all know Cerra went to Carlton at the end of the 2021 season. Signed with Carlton on his 22nd Birthday.

I think Jason Horne Francis will sign a 2 year deal.

Personally don't understand why highly rated first rounders extend so quickly.

I guess it helps them get a pay rise outright, as I assume they can structure their Years 3 & 4 payments to be received in Years 1 & 2, but for someone like JHF, he should back himself in to be a very wanted man by the middle of next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally don't understand why highly rated first rounders extend so quickly.

I guess it helps them get a pay rise outright, as I assume they can structure their Years 3 & 4 payments to be received in Years 1 & 2, but for someone like JHF, he should back himself in to be a very wanted man by the middle of next season.
They can't be paid any different to their draftee contract for the first two years but since the expansion teams have joined the comp they've set the first round signing value above 400k

As mentioned previously, it’s definitely not a coincidence that the Noble apology and JHF holding off negotiations have been leaked within a similar time period. Someone there is determined to see Noble gone. I do believe that JHF will stay and is just wanting to bump up his value. I feel sorry for North here. Exploiting the predicament of the club that made a huge investment in you to boost his own pay check does not reflect well on his character. If I was North, I would make the point that no player is bigger than the club. If JHF/his management want to behave in this way and are not invested in making North better, then he can piss off.
Are North really in a position to do this though?

It's in JHF's best interest to draw this out as long as possible. The more desperate North get to keep him, the more he's getting paid.

This.

With North sucking it makes him even more valuable to them and the big contract he was going to get becomes bigger.

Massive hypothetical as I don’t think this is even in the realms of possibility but what could North get for him at the end of this season?

I don't. Needs to be 3 years minimum (least for top 10 picks)

Given first round picks are earning nearly half a million dollars in year three I suspect the clubs would like to keep them on their maybe $200,000 after match frees and bonuses too.

I propose a system where the draftee nominates the length of their contract and are given a signing bonus outside the cap of $100,000 per year up front to compensate them, it also puts a direct value on the investment the club has made in them other than the opportunity cost of using a draft pick on them. The player had some involvement in that outlay from the club.

A five year signing could buy a house straight up and settle in.

The thing is, Sam Edmund didn't really say anything. The only news, to most, is that JHF (or more to the point his manager) put contract talks on hold. That's it. He then went off on the tangent that Noble was a mean guy and four top ten players had re-signed which is all designed to make the reader jump to their own conclusions.
This is Edmunds style.

Did a similar thing last year with Jamarra, tried to create a story out of nothing about the potential of him leaving. It's following the same pattern, I'm sure when JHF signs an extension, Edmund will say he never said he was leaving even though he has been trying to lead readers/listener that way.

This literally happened to GWS, an AFL baby.

It’s not the AFL’s choice.

That only happened because Ryan Griffen requested a trade. Boyd was always going to play out his contract and leave the following year, but the Griffen bombshell fast tracked it. It would be unlikely we see that again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back