List Mgmt. Jed Anderson gone to North for Pick15

Remove this Banner Ad

Duryea should take Suckers spot. Solid kick, but can also defend really well. No loss there at all. Then you have Lithers come in for Duryea and he has proven his ability to shut down small forwards - disposal needs work but so did that of Smith and Hill initially. We are OK losing Suckers.

Suckling spent most of this year playing as an outside midfielder/ half forward/ half back. Duryea is good down back because he can be a lock down defender, is tough and can kick. He would be wasted in Sucklings role.

Litherland has a lot of work to do on his kicking and composure. Has very similar problems to Langford, in that he often just bombs it long. Thats not how we like to set up out of defence.

Kicking often seems to be underrated on this board, yet it is about the most important factor for the coaches.

Howe, Hartung and O'Rouke are more likely to come in, than Litherland.

Bar one mark against Sydney he never really did anything worthy of making the 22. A very skillful player that put in obvious effort, but I don't think we really need him to be honest.
Happy with pick 15. Wish him all the best, there's nothing entitled about wanting to make it as a player, especially seeing as he has a family to look after.

Bar one mark against Sydney he never really did anything worthy of making the 22. A very skillful player that put in obvious effort, but I don't think we really need him to be honest.
Happy with pick 15. Wish him all the best, there's nothing entitled about wanting to make it as a player, especially seeing as he has a family to look after.
And a tackle ;)

Pick 15 and 18 is a great result by the club. Will be our highest draft pick since Rioli in 2007! (or Schoenmakers if they get pushed back)

In recent years with similar picks we have got Billy Hartung (pick 24), Brad Hill (pick 33), Isaac Smith (pick 19), Schoenmakers (pick 16) and Rioli (pick 12). Hawks should definitely be able to pick up a few guns. Always good to go back to the draft every now and again and refresh the younger end of the list.

No need for the sour grapes people. Got him for very little, didn't really work out in his time here through little fault of his own and his departure has got us quite a decent pick given what he had shown.

Wasn't meant to be sadly. Best of luck Jed. Hope you perform well for North Melbourne just not against Hawthorn.

The reality of it is that Jed is a 10 game player who has failed to break into our team over a period of time (injuries aside).

Can't understand why people wouldn't be happy with a first round pick for him.

I'm with you hr. I wonder what the reaction would be from all those saying we got bent over would be, if the situation were reversed, and we gave a round one pick for a 10 game player who showed some potential. I loved Jed, and he has done some great things, in patches, but he hasn't proved he can run out a game, and play his role consistently.
Personally, I don't have much time for Carlisle either, and would be happy if we used picks 15 and 18 on draftees, or to swing another deal.

A broad brush view of drafts and listing here....

1. Roughly 840 listed AFL players
2. Every year roughly 100 new/recycled players are drafted/re-drafted

3. Only 280 players every year are in their club's best 15 (1/3rd)

4. Another 400-odd would play a combination of senior and reserve level footy. They are in the player 15-35 category

5. About 160 wouldn't get a look in for a senior game (bottom 10 on the list).

In my view Jed has only ever been in the 15-35 category at Hawthorn and this season dropped back towards the bottom 10 category. He had now fallen behind Hartung, O'Rourke, Howe and maybe even Miles.

Frankly, if you split each national draft (of around 90 players) up in a similar manner as a senior list (of 45 players) then this years' pick 15 probably has as good (if not a better) chance of becoming a top 15 player at Hawthorn as Jed currently did......and he will be on base wage for the next 2 years.

I think we are winning on this one.

No need for the sour grapes people. Got him for very little, didn't really work out in his time here through little fault of his own and his departure has got us quite a decent pick given what he had shown.

Wasn't meant to be sadly. Best of luck Jed. Hope you perform well for North Melbourne just not against Hawthorn.

But I am sour. Stupid Jed! We want you back! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it my imagination or is there a picture in the HS today showing Carlisle with his own name tattooed on his back? Sums him up nicely.

Re Jed, 15 is a steal but don't tell anyone.

Is it my imagination or is there a picture in the HS today showing Carlisle with his own name tattooed on his back? Sums him up nicely.

Re Jed, 15 is a steal but don't tell anyone.

Maybe they can be best friends.

Cyril.jpg

I think the Jed trade is a typical Hawthorn trade move. Ultimately, the Hawks don't care about the semantics of downgrading 54 for 40 because the reality is that both picks are categorised as speculative.
The real equation for the Hawks was Jed & 38 for pick 15. You would do that every day of the week and twice on Fridays for a player who wants to leave the club. The shuffling of picks is generally reserved for people trying to save face if the trade doesn't work for them.

I think the Jed trade is a typical Hawthorn trade move. Ultimately, the Hawks don't care about the semantics of downgrading 54 for 40 because the reality is that both picks are categorised as speculative.
The real equation for the Hawks was Jed & 38 for pick 15. You would do that every day of the week and twice on Fridays for a player who wants to leave the club. The shuffling of picks is generally reserved for people trying to save face if the trade doesn't work for them.
i'm not fussed trading our second rounders to north. Like many have said, in a shallow draft, top 20 picks are far more valuable than a couple of picks in the 40's.

We have 4 senior spots on the list to fill. If word is correct and the hawks are looking to bring Fitzpatrick in as a delisted free agent, he's a free hit and would result in the hawks taking 3 picks to the draft, with the last to upgrade Kiwi.

15 + 18 + Kiwi upgrade (54) - then bring in a delisted free agent, that's our quota.

obviously that changes if Whitecross or Simpkin look for more opportunities elsewhere.
But gives the hawks some flexibility moving into the second week of trade.

Wouldn't be surprised if we turn picks 54/56 into GWSs pick 45 by finding new homes for Simpkin / WhiteX

A broad brush view of drafts and listing here....

1. Roughly 840 listed AFL players
2. Every year roughly 100 new/recycled players are drafted/re-drafted

3. Only 280 players every year are in their club's best 15 (1/3rd)

4. Another 400-odd would play a combination of senior and reserve level footy. They are in the player 15-35 category

5. About 160 wouldn't get a look in for a senior game (bottom 10 on the list).

In my view Jed has only ever been in the 15-35 category at Hawthorn and this season dropped back towards the bottom 10 category. He had now fallen behind Hartung, O'Rourke, Howe and maybe even Miles.

Frankly, if you split each national draft (of around 90 players) up in a similar manner as a senior list (of 45 players) then this years' pick 15 probably has as good (if not a better) chance of becoming a top 15 player at Hawthorn as Jed currently did......and he will be on base wage for the next 2 years.

I think we are winning on this one.

Slightly off topic, would you say comparing drafts before and after the expansion drafts, that

-The numbers of players drafted has not increased by 18/16
-clubs usinh other methods over the expansion drafts have continued to use those methods eg retain players for longer on average

I am a bit sad about seeing him go, I thought he would really break through and show just how talented he is, but we managed to grab a first rounder for him so I guess I can't complain

Best of luck to him in the future

Disappointed that we've let Jed leave.

I always thought that 2016 would be the year of midfield transition within the squad; the opportunity for the likes of JoR, Langford, Sicily, Hartung and Jed to play at least 15 of the 22 games.

I've never liked Carlisle and his seedy northern suburb demeanor, but at just 24, standing at 6'6" with great ability at both ends of the ground, I can't say I'd be disgruntled if Hawthorn unveil him in the next few days.

Besides, Clarko/Rats/Fagan have obviously thought long and hard about this; If any coaching panel is going to get the absolute best out of this lad, it's Hawthorn's.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Jed Anderson gone to North for Pick15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back