Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure it's possible to go backwards.
Kacey Musgraves GIF by Paramount+

I am just wondering if we are going to appoint a vice captain. I personally like to have a VC and I find it strange that some clubs prefer not make this appointment.. Its another way of rewarding a deserving individual. Are there any good reasons for not appointing a VC.

Yes, he was dropped for 1 game.

There's no chance he gets dropped for half the season if he's underperforming again
Fact remains, he WAS dropped even though in leadership group. Sloane WAS moved out of midfield (before he was injured). Keays WAS moved out of midfield too. I think Nicks has been showing us his hand, some just refuse to see it.

I am just wondering if we are going to appoint a vice captain. I personally like to have a VC and I find it strange that some clubs prefer not make this appointment.. Its another way of rewarding a deserving individual. Are there any good reasons for not appointing a VC.

Meh - its 2023. Captain, Vice Captain, Leadership Groups its all glorified press with no real substance these days.

IMO it was a “here we’re doing something” rather than a “teach ROB that he needs to be better”
He didn’t have to show he could back up his one good game in the SANFL.
I think the idea was to light a fire under ROB by dropping him for 3 or 4 games but they chickened out when they saw Strachan get beaten pretty badly in the ruck. I think as a player motivation tactic it backfired as it only showed ROB that we have no viable alternative ruck. It's a recruiting/list management issue more than a selection issue.

I agree that Dawson wouldn’t be able to dictate - but you would have to think if he genuinely believes it’s not the most effective spot for him to play he would have had the discussion. So Nicks has either given him reasons that he has got behind or we will see a change early in the year once the side settles down

As a number of people have observed - we have plenty of defenders fighting for a spot. If they think those guys are up to it then there would be no reason to hold Dawson back there, unless that is seen as his most valuable spot in this squad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i agree that Dawson would have a convo about how best he's used, as all players will have with their coaches from time to time. But where you lose me is the implication that because Dawson does play back then it's implied that he agrees with the coaches. This is wrong, he can easily disagree quietly or openly and still bust a gut in the role, that's what you'd expect a captain to do.

WRT the second paragraph, I'm not really sure the relevance of this. I've already posted that Dawson plays back because that's where the coaches see his greatest value to their overall strategy. Obviously they don't think any player that they leave in the shed is up to it as much as they think Dawson is, in terms of their overarching strategy. I'm really not sure what yoyre trying to imply there. Fact is that Dawson plays back because that's where the coaches want him to play. Any tacit agreement conferred upon Dawson himself, is manufactured from pure fantasy land.

Our VCs used to be the pointers. Left the Captain to star on field and be the nice bloke off field

I agree - as per response to George

Not irrelevant though. Coach and captain relationship, and being aligned, is one of the most important within the footy club. You don’t think players get really annoyed if they are played out of position or not in a position that beat helps the team win?
If that’s the case I suggest you haven’t been on the inside of footy clubs much. These guys are competitive by nature and want to win.

There is a lot of angst on here about where Dawson plays - if he felt passionately that he should be further up the ground for the best outcome for the team that would absolutely be taken into account.

It will be interesting to see if he moves in the early part of the year to a more permanent wing/mid role. That would suggest the frustration on here has been correct.

Apoealing to the 'haven't played the game' is about the worst supporting argument available. It boils diwn to a simple effective position of yours, 'Dawson wouldn't play back if he didn't agree that it's his best role for the strategy'. This is wrong, Dawson will play back if instructed to, regardless of his personal view. You can try and pollute your argument with value calls on the other players fighting for a defensive role, but that's just smoke and mirrors to avoid accepting an absolute truth. Jordan plays where the coaches want, as any decent captain would do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy season or calendar year?

Doubt he is sacked during the season, but depending on how we go it's a possibility he isn't around for next season.

I'm of the opposite view. I reckon only a really bad start sees him gone and replaced by Burns. If we have an evenly bad year, I see him coaching into 2024.

I agree that Dawson wouldn’t be able to dictate - but you would have to think if he genuinely believes it’s not the most effective spot for him to play he would have had the discussion. So Nicks has either given him reasons that he has got behind or we will see a change early in the year once the side settles down

As a number of people have observed - we have plenty of defenders fighting for a spot. If they think those guys are up to it then there would be no reason to hold Dawson back there, unless that is seen as his most valuable spot in this squad

Or Nicks is ultra conservative and is more interested in reducing the size of the loss than going for the win. Or Nicks could just be an idiot.

Or Nicks is ultra conservative and is more interested in reducing the size of the loss than going for the win. Or Nicks could just be an idiot.

Both quite possible - and I have no doubt it is about reducing the size of the loss, which by definition means the team is closer to a win

He may well be a poor coach as well - but as pretty much all of us have commented he hasn’t had great cattle to work with. We won’t know for sure if he can’t coach until mid next year

Both quite possible - and I have no doubt it is about reducing the size of the loss, which by definition means the team is closer to a win

He may well be a poor coach as well - but as pretty much all of us have commented he hasn’t had great cattle to work with. We won’t know for sure if he can’t coach until mid next year

If we kick more goals we also mean we are closer to a win, plus it’s a more entertaining game to watch.

I'm of the opposite view. I reckon only a really bad start sees him gone and replaced by Burns. If we have an evenly bad year, I see him coaching into 2024.

How bad is really bad?
I think they hold on until the end of year even if they’ve put a line through his name.

Only way they get rid of him early is if we’re in spoon contention

If we kick more goals we also mean we are closer to a win, plus it’s a more entertaining game to watch.

Yes more attacking means more goals and that tends to be the end stage of a rebuild - we aren’t there yet but hopefully take another step this year

I don’t think too many coaches worry about the entertainment aspect of the game

Agreed. Supporters prefer ugly wins to attractive losses, and no coach survived by pointing to how entertaining the team was while it sunk to the bottom of the ladder

Yes more attacking means more goals and that tends to be the end stage of a rebuild - we aren’t there yet but hopefully take another step this year

Coach might not, but crowds are important to the club

2-10, something like that.
Yeah, that would be disastrous and there’s no excuse for that. It will take something like that to move on him during the year. At the end of the year if we win only say 5 games I can see they move him on then.

Having said that, 7 or more wins and he will be safe, but around that mark and the doubts will have set in for us to look at 2024 options

One thing I liked about Walsh. He wanted there to be a bit of that entertainment factor about a game still. Winning was still most important, but he wasn't going to lock a game down and turn it into a defensive bore. Like the Freo game where he let Danger and Fyfe go head to head when people were telling him to tag because he knew it'd be a great battle to watch as a fan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back