Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course.

But we didn’t recruit him as one, didn’t play him there much at all last year. It was a panic move after a couple of loses. Granted, it could turn out for the best.

It just shows how badly we neglected that part of the ground for ages. The most important part too. Feels like a shoe horn. First Laird, now Dawson, maybe RT next?
Maxy Mike maybe? 192cm big bodied mid :think:

Michalanney almost looks like a midfielder the way he plays ... esp if you squint one eye and watch at a 9 degree angle.

Where did you get this? I Would like to see more of them.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dawson is still spending a lot of time / disposals in DEF ....the role is varying week on week

For those who believe it was Dawson who requested a role change against PORT ....yes it did change, but in arguably his best game for the Club last week, it reverted again .....silly Nicks, or utilizing his Capt to the team benefit .....I say the latter

Round 4 (FREO)

1681246446001.png

Round 3 (PORT)

1681246597392.png

Round 2 (RICH)

1681246697442.png

Great to see Nicks staying with the strategy. Dawson was bloody good as a sweeping defender but is amazing as a midfielder.

With Worrel coming back and Maxy doing damn well as the interceptor, plus Hinge playing the smaller defender role, it really frees up Doedee.

I will be opposed by others on this forum but I am still of the opinion that Doedee can make a very effective big midfielder as well
Did he though ?

Dawson is still spending a lot of time / disposals in DEF ....the role is varying week on week

For those who believe it was Dawson who requested a role change against PORT ....yes it did change, but in arguably his best game for the Club last week, it reverted again .....silly Nicks, or utilizing his Capt to the team benefit .....I say the latter

Round 4 (FREO)

View attachment 1657311

Round 3 (PORT)

View attachment 1657312

Round 2 (RICH)

View attachment 1657313
I think we’re all aware he went back when butts went off.

Round 4 (FREO)

View attachment 1657311

Round 3 (PORT)

View attachment 1657312

Round 2 (RICH)

View attachment 1657313
Oh wow. Big big big difference between a mid who pushes back to defence to help out than a defender responsible for a player. My argument for Dawson playing wing is that he would still be able to help defence by pushing back. But he would offer a lot more.

Nicks has gone one better by listening to Dawson playing him in the middle. Do you know what other differences with Dawson playing as a middle rather than defence? He attends centre square bounces, he attends ball ups, he’s winning clearances, he’s increased inside 50s, he’s kicked a goal a game and his contested possessions have gone through the roof.

Dermie last night: forwards must love Dawson playing in the middle and getting the ball with his leg
Sloane: having Dawson playing the middle has been great as he reads the game and provides leadership and direction

Plus you know he went back to defence in the last qtr when Butts went off.

I honestly can’t believe that you’ve gone down the path of heat maps and ignored the rest. I thought you were an astute observer of the game.

I think some other posters tried to highlight this in the nicks thread, but it got derailed by a heated debate on who's idea it was to move Dawson into the midfield.

But the centre clearance numbers show, Dawson is majority 2nd chain on clearance, which is perfect to use his weapon kicking. If the clearance doesn't go our way, he seems like the first to perform defensive action.
Laird is the in and under, but it still shows that there is still a requirement for big body mid.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Round 4 (FREO)

View attachment 1657311

Round 3 (PORT)

View attachment 1657312

Round 2 (RICH)

View attachment 1657313
Don't forget Dawson still inexplicably spent the end of the game against Freo back in his old role. It was just a quarter this time, but also he actually got the ball on a few occasions this time too, as opposed to taking a holiday for the last quarter and a bit vs Port.

Don't forget Dawson still inexplicably spent the end of the game against Freo back in his old role. It was just a quarter this time, but also he actually got the ball on a few occasions this time too, as opposed to taking a holiday for the last quarter and a bit vs Port.
Nah...
Butts was subbed out. Dawson was probably needed as cover for this.

Team player. Good stuff.

Round 4 (FREO)

View attachment 1657311

Round 3 (PORT)

View attachment 1657312

Round 2 (RICH)

View attachment 1657313
I think that v-Freo heatmap might be a tad a dodgy :grin:

The first heatmap below was posted by George having the same stats in text form, whereas another had same stats but more pock marks.

What does the current official Telstra heatmap for JD that game look like?

3e22dbe5-ce72-4405-88eb-2b84587d3da8-png.1654149

full

This guys fkd.
When you think about it, if he’s playing as an inside/outside midfielder he has the traits to be one of the most damaging midfielders in the league.

Absolutely torched Fremantle in the first half with 17 disposals running at 100% efficiency 😅

He’s not really able to be tackled due to his size, his kicking is lethal when given space. If our other midfielders learn to block for Dawson & give him a little bit of extra time with the ball then he could win a Brownlow this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guys fkd.
When you think about it, if he’s playing as an inside/outside midfielder he has the traits to be one of the most damaging midfielders in the league.

Absolutely torched Fremantle in the first half with 17 disposals running at 100% efficiency 😅

He’s not really able to be tackled due to his size, his kicking is lethal when given space. If our other midfielders learn to block for Dawson & give him a little bit of extra time with the ball then he could win a Brownlow this year.
Add to that he is great in the air marking wise and he reads the game so well...oh, and he can hit the scoreboard and from long range too. It really is so important that come season end, we throw the sink at getting another topline mid..Dawson, Rachele, Soligo, Laird and another A grader...it starts to look like a midfield that could be challenging for a long time to come

He is such a gun, by the end of the year he will be recognised as one of the superstars of the comp if he keeps playing midfield.

And to think we had him defending.
I like that he can move basically all over the ground!

Dermie tonight: Forwards must love Dawson getting the ball in the middle
Sloane: plus he’s a great leader in there, can rarely read what’s going on

Some posters and Nicks up until 2 rounds ago, nah Dawson should be in defence
To be fair George, it was because our defence is so brittle at the moment with Woz out and Butts out of sorts. That was a hole that absolutely needed plugging and Jordan was the only right shaped plug. Doedee has started to come good, Michelanny is providing us with something and Murray is improving every game... so moving Dawson on to the ball (and also moving Hinge back) is worth the risk... and for two games has paid off in spades.

To be fair George, it was because our defence is so brittle at the moment with Woz out and Butts out of sorts. That was a hole that absolutely needed plugging and Jordan was the only right shaped plug. Doedee has started to come good, Michelanny is providing us with something and Murray is improving every game... so moving Dawson on to the ball (and also moving Hinge back) is worth the risk... and for two games has paid off in spades.
Shows why we need to chase Redman super hard

Nah, nothings changed. Butts is still brittle but they’ve seen that Hinge can do a job down back and Dawson adds so much to our midfield.

That need didn't disappear two weeks ago
No, you are right, but Murray had stepped up to the challenge and perhaps gave them some confidence to try this. As can be seen from the heatmaps, Dawson still spends a lot of time back, so it's not like he's completely left them on their own.

No, you are right, but Murray had stepped up to the challenge and perhaps gave them some confidence to try this. As can be seen from the heatmaps, Dawson still spends a lot of time back, so it's not like he's completely left them on their own.
Exactly it’s why he wasn’t needed to play as a defender, he can help the defence more by being a mid pushing back as he’s not minding a player. Plus what we gain from his contested work around the ground, clearances, kicking in to the forwards. Dawson must never play defence again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back