Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just like to question this myth of Swanny being an out-and-out party boy anomaly. This consensus that he's some sort of alternative rebel without a cause who wouldn't put in on the track but just lit up on game days cos he's a footballer's footballer and was doing it on instinct.

That's all so much crap, overblown because he's covered in ink and has a nose ring.

I am struggling to think of once when he did not show 100 per cent commitment to the Magpies cause. How many times has he tested positive to the drugs everyone thinks he took because of his tough stickers and his larrikin persona?? yes, that's right, none.

The bloke was a gut-running powerhouse who never shirked one session at training. He made one mistake when he was a kid and it served as a kick up the arse. He could not have become the superstar footballer he was, eking out every last bit of talent, without that steely determination... don't let the image fool you.

I think you'll find he had plenty in common with Buckley in their approaches to the game. Maybe not off the field as mates but on it they are two of the most relentless competitors i have seen play the game.

It's interesting you raise this, because I've long held a similar view. I think 'Dane Swan' has been very good at promoting 'Swannie'. It even suits his business interests. And while the Rat Pack has a certain allure, some of his choices of associates outside the club have raised eyebrows, and he was involved in a stupid violent incident when young - what else has he actually done to deserve the bad boy reputation? I haven't read his book, so I'll probably be shot down here.

What I see is a guy who has been with the same partner for a decade or so, who appears to be an intelligent independent woman, and not an empty-headed wag overly focused on her appearance. I believe he appreciates good wine, maybe a trait he picked up from Dids. He is close to his family. And heaven forbid, I've heard that he visits museums when overseas. OK, I might have made the last bit up.

But the reality of 'Dane Swan' may just be a little different to the marketing and selling of 'Swannie' the lad.

So how is Jordan going?

Swan is retired, so that's done.

So how is Jordy going?

Swanny is a leg end.

Hopefully JDG reaches his potential.

Shouldn't have to say hopefully but there are worrying signs, which is inconceivable after last year, he's the absolute last one I would have thought there'd be whispers about

Shouldn't have to say hopefully but there are worrying signs, which is inconceivable after last year, he's the absolute last one I would have thought there'd be whispers about

I'm not interested in rumours.

"I won't let you down" he said when he was drafted. Then first thing last year --- let him down. Hope he's matured coz we need him to.
Anyone who reckons they didn’t do something stupid when they were 21 or younger please raise your hands so I can call you a liar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Faz and Elliott more than likely to miss the start of the season I think they will be keep JDG forward and hope he has games like he did against The Eagles. The unfortunate thing about that is I think we’ll never see his full potential in the middle but if he can produce some good football up forward I guess I can live with that.

No, he was as committed as anyone on game day it was simply an admission that he went about it his way and that Buckley was on a different wavelength (at least for a long while there).

He would have been even more unlikely to make it had it been non-negotiable that he commit to a different standard. He was a different cat which is a big part of why he was so special and conforming would have been the end for him. MM understood that.

The comments were far more nuanced and in context than the black and white picture you’re painting. As I posted read it for yourself if you’d like a better understanding!

All I can say is thank god were now getting some discipline in the joint
That crap wasn't tolerated in my old mans time and he wasn't adverse to pulling players up
Many times he had to leave his school and correct player behaviour after games in the social club
The late bomber Clifford was one
Blind and f bombing , dad pulled him up
The 1990 boys were out of control
Played hard both on and off
Pants certainly wasn't alone
When I see what happened at west coast on malthouses watch , VERY GLAD he's gone, we dodged a bullet

"I won't let you down" he said when he was drafted. Then first thing last year --- let him down. Hope he's matured coz we need him to.

Lets just say his mates aren't rocket scientists
He was set up last year and targeted at a night club
Shouldn't have been there and his mates should have done more
Silly boy he lost a lot of ground

Yep not liking the disconnect others have mentioned at training
Met some of his crew
That worried me

Drink driving... Clubs already gone into bat for him that many times...pack your backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back