Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brisbane's KPP stocks I've long found frustrating. All the established key position players I consider key defenders. Andrews, Hipwood, Walker, Adams, Gardner, McStay. The developing Ballenden. I don't love any of them as key forwards.

Bailey is worth persisting with and has the scope to develop. I'd like to see him develop into some kind of rotational fwd/mid or mid/fwd.

Ah Chee I don't rate. He hasn't done enough to convince me he is worth using up a senior list position on. Four years in, not only has he not improved meaningfully but I'm not seeing a position where I feel he's AFL standard. Forward, back. There isn't a club in the competition I'm looking at and thinking he's best 22 on.

Zac has plenty of scope for development and they love him at the Lions. However, I fear he may always be a terrible kick Dangerfield style. Technique is ok but just never hits the ball cleanly. Luckily in this league it doesn't seem to matter how well you kick it as long as you get it heaps.

Ryan Bennell or Tyrone Thorne (Peel Thunder) - any chance to be drafted this year? Cheers

Last edited:
Ryan Bennell or Tyrone Thorne (Peel Thunder) - any chance to be drafted this year? Cheers

I liked both of them during the Under-18 Championships, particularly Thorne.

Both are possibles late/rookie but with neither receiving national combine invites far from certain.

I still thought he was a top 5 pick and it was crazy at the time allowing him to slide that far. Thought Freo were crazy passing him over when they required tall forwards at the time, then they butcher their pick and Eagles once again get KOTD!

couple nasty Darling rumours came out around draft time. Hence every club over looking him.

I liked both of them during the Under-18 Championships, particularly Thorne.

Both are possibles late/rookie but with neither receiving national combine invites far from certain.
Seems Thorne at least finished with a bang..

.via draft central and colts grand final last weekend

“#1 Tyrone Thorne
The younger brother of Peel’s senior player Calvin, Tyrone was exceptional for the Thunder and would have come close to winning the Mel Whinnen Medal had the Thunder won. He finished with a team-high 22 possessions, a game-high eight tackles, recorded three inside 50s, took two marks and kicked a goal in a dazzling display. He never shirked a contest, always fought hard in the stoppages and used his class to set up plenty of attacking opportunities for the Thunder.”

Seems Thorne at least finished with a bang..

.via draft central and colts grand final last weekend

“#1 Tyrone Thorne
The younger brother of Peel’s senior player Calvin, Tyrone was exceptional for the Thunder and would have come close to winning the Mel Whinnen Medal had the Thunder won. He finished with a team-high 22 possessions, a game-high eight tackles, recorded three inside 50s, took two marks and kicked a goal in a dazzling display. He never shirked a contest, always fought hard in the stoppages and used his class to set up plenty of attacking opportunities for the Thunder.”

He's been good all year. I like him as a crumbing forward, but he can push up the ground at the lower levels and win it.

How do you think Lukoscious went in his first year Knightmare? would you still have him as the best from the 2018 draft looking forward? Or would you go for a Rozee, Smith or Walsh? if you had a 2018 number #1 pick in hindsight.

How do you think Lukoscious went in his first year Knightmare? would you still have him as the best from the 2018 draft looking forward? Or would you go for a Rozee, Smith or Walsh? if you had a 2018 number #1 pick in hindsight.

I still rate Lukosius highest.

It was a below expectation season but still an excellent first season given he is a first year KPP.

I thought Lukosius would be getting 100+ marks per 22 games, but from his 21 games he had a still impressive for a first year KPP 90 marks.

He struggled as a forward because he likes to lead up at the footy and get a lot of it, but with Gold Coast a low possession team that didn't honour his leads, seemingly consistently overlooked him when he would lead up at the footy, the first half of the season was a struggle and he was unable to build any confidence or continuity in the role.

As expected when moved into defence he looked a lot more comfortable when he was able to read it and intercept as he does so well. And he looked AFL standard in the role right away.

To make an 'out there' comment on Lukosius. From a Collingwood perspective. Give me free opportunity to take any player from any AFL list and adding them to Collingwood. I'm taking Lukosius. A major component of it is a stylistic fit. Collingwood are a short kicking, possession team. And if used at CHF and able to keep leading up at the footy and continue to get honoured, his talents would be maximised. He'd have the scope to take 10 marks a game and if he can do that, he's breaking games open with his kicking finding the gaps in the corridor and i50 to place perfectly for his intended targets. And on top of that he is gut running and creating a lot of space for his teammates, both working opponents over pushing up the field, but then pushing hard into the front half and beating them deep to get it out the back and over the top, and turning opponents around inside 50m.

On the other hand, if it's Gold Coast. They'd flip Lukosius for a moment for Walsh because Walsh compliments their list a lot better and has a game much more compatible with the way they want to play. And Walsh would fit any team well, but Lukosius is one where if on the right team, he can be one of if not the best in the competition.

The unfortunate element with Lukosius is he's stuck on the team that least fits his game stylistically, relegating him to playing defence to be effective. And on top of that he is at the club with the worst record of developing talent in the competition. So his trajectory if he remains at Gold Coast isn't as high as Walsh at Carlton. But in the right situation where the gameplan maximises his talents and the player development is strong and Lukosius can be a sweeter kicking Nick Riewoldt.

Anyone know if the U17 Future Stars game from the MCG on Grand Final day is going to covered by Fox Footy or live streamed by the AFL or anyone else?

Has been streamed live on afl.com in the past, so my expectation is the same again this year.

How do you compare jack mahony and cody weightman? Who would you pick and why?

Weightman should be picked first of the two. He could go inside the first round. Mahony more likely second round.

Mahony is the more polished and classy and more ready to contribute and the better of the two through the midfield. Weightman the more raw and athletic with the speed and leap and some freakishness to go with it.

I slightly prefer Mahony of the two, but I see the arguments for both and would be happy with either for different reasons.

Do you think there's a bid GWS wouldn't match for Green?

Pick 1 or 2 I don't think they'd match given the sheer number of points they would need to give up. Without hearing any inside word, I'd imagine pick 3 is probably that first pick I could see them matching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My order this year is completely contrasting to recruiters and perhaps the most independent it's ever been.

Most will have Young, Ash then Gould. I've got Gould, Ash then Young.

Gould I haven't seen as a forward, so hard to know his capabilities, but with the way he plays I think the Shannon Hurn role in defence with the capability to take bigs as required will be how he will be best utilised. Those penetrating kicks are worth their weight in gold in defence.

Tom Graham is developable. I wouldn't take him in the national draft, but as a rookie I feel he's worth taking a chance on for Hawthorn.

Pepper similarly I'm not keen on in the national draft, but as a rookie, he's an able defender who has done enough this year to make me think he could be worthwhile there.

If Gould is the 11th best player in this draft, then either it’s the worst draft for some time or you see something in Gould which wasn’t on display during the SANFL season.

Looks slow, undersized for AFL, chubby and un-athletic.

If Gould is the 11th best player in this draft, then either it’s the worst draft for some time or you see something in Gould which wasn’t on display during the SANFL season.

Looks slow, undersized for AFL, chubby and un-athletic.

Gould isn't slow or unathletic. He's heavy. But he does have a good burst of speed. When he sheds that weight, he has the scope to show that explosiveness more than he does at present.

I'm not sure where you get the idea of undersized from. Undersized for what? To play key defence? That's not the position/role he is being spoken about as playing at the next level. He's being looked at more with a developmental vision to become more like Shannon Hurn.

Gould isn't slow or unathletic. He's heavy. But he does have a good burst of speed. When he sheds that weight, he has the scope to show that explosiveness more than he does at present.

I'm not sure where you get the idea of undersized from. Undersized for what? To play key defence? That's not the position/role he is being spoken about as playing at the next level. He's being looked at more with a developmental vision to become more like Shannon Hurn.

Undersized to play key defence and too immobile to warrant a top 10 selection in a decent draft to play any other role in defence.

I remember Hurn at the same age, he was ripped and agile. Gould as you said, looks heavy.

I have seen the burst you are talking about, but his cruising speed would get him tackled in every instance he has the footy at afl level

Undersized to play key defence and too immobile to warrant a top 10 selection in a decent draft to play any other role in defence.

I remember Hurn at the same age, he was ripped and agile. Gould as you said, looks heavy.

I have seen the burst you are talking about, but his cruising speed would get him tackled in every instance he has the footy at afl level
Getting ripped in the gym doesn’t take talent, it’s an easily fixed attribute

Getting ripped in the gym doesn’t take talent, it’s an easily fixed attribute
Except if someone can’t put on lean muscle as Hurn clearly can. Gould is in the unusual position of having to lose weight coming into the AFL.

Will he be as effective as a 92-93 kg 191cm defender? You would suggest he will need to drop quite a bit of weight to get to speed as an AFL defender. Seems very much an in between size at those dimensions.

Except if someone can’t put on lean muscle as Hurn clearly can. Gould is in the unusual position of having to lose weight coming into the AFL.

Will he be as effective as a 92-93 kg 191cm defender? You would suggest he will need to drop quite a bit of weight to get to speed as an AFL defender. Seems very much an in between size at those dimensions.

Shane Mumford at 19 was 130kg, and is only 7cm taller than Gould. That's not saying that was the weight he was when he was drafted. But weight loss happens and guys who were once overweight don't always remain that way.

As with Mumford, even though Mumford played his career with extra weight, he used it to advantage and really hurt guys out on the field and made them feel him any time they went near him. I view Gould's weight as a point of difference in the same way. Gould plays a really aggressive style of football himself and really makes guys earn it and I think as with Mumford being that heavyweight at his position that Gould also can use that weight to advantage in a similar way. I don't see a major weight reduction being required. If he gets shredded and becomes fitting and is able to get to high speeds more often, and he's still the weight he is. I don't have a major problem with it. It's all about what weight he plays his best football at.

Gould will be fine. He's got more footy nous and smarts than probably 95% of this draft. Nearly all shapes and sizes can play AFL, and Gould's certainly won't be hurting him. He's not just strong but actually powerful with his frame movement, kicking and command. He'll be very burly at AFL level. If you could blend him, he'd be half Hurn and half Heath Grundy

Knightmare how far down do you think the Dees will need to trade down to still be able to snag Ash?

Knightmare how far down do you think the Dees will need to trade down to still be able to snag Ash?

Ash probably lands 5-10 and it wouldn't surprise me if he landed in the latter part of that range. I'd be advising Melbourne to do a two for one. An offer I'd be making is pick 3 for pick 8 and Ed Langdon. I don't see tremendous separation between picks 3 and 8 and Langdon wants to join Melbourne. That could be a way to get Ash while getting Langdon at the same time. Two birds with one stone.

If Ash isn't available at 8, someone else good will be. For me pick 8 is right in that sweet spot inside the top 10 to get value or a good list fit in Melbourne's situation.

Ash probably lands 5-10 and it wouldn't surprise me if he landed in the latter part of that range. I'd be advising Melbourne to do a two for one. An offer I'd be making is pick 3 for pick 8 and Ed Langdon. I don't see tremendous separation between picks 3 and 8 and Langdon wants to join Melbourne. That could be a way to get Ash while getting Langdon at the same time. Two birds with one stone.

If Ash isn't available at 8, someone else good will be. For me pick 8 is right in that sweet spot inside the top 10 to get value or a good list fit in Melbourne's situation.
The Dees really got screwed with today’s decision. Anderson or Rowell would have been the silver lining for a crap season.

The Dees really got screwed with today’s decision. Anderson or Rowell would have been the silver lining for a crap season.

Absolutely missing out on the chance to add Anderson is a loss for Melbourne. They're the real losers from it. Though as a team with a % of over 131% in 2018, they're a team that can turn their fortunes around with some good offseasons moves. They shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as they were this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back