Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi KM, who do we need to watch as far as draftable talent for Eastern today vs the star studded Charges in the NAB League GF?

They finished on top of the ladder I believe so surely they must have some good talent in there, or perhaps just a good team who are well coached?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Knightmare assuming Gold Coast get a priority pick and the Hawks keep it’s 2019 first round pick. Do you think Hawthorn will recruit a key defender with pick 11?

Depends who is there. There is only potentially Fischer McAsey to choose from at 11, and he's most likely available. There may be someone else Hawthorn like more and there may be a key defender available later who appeals.

Around 11 Will Gould is someone I'd be targeting. If he needs to, he can play key defence, he more than has the size, but with his aggression and kicking I like him as a component back there. Possibly Dyson Hilder later on if available would be a key defender I'd consider if one can't be acquired during the trade period.

Hi knightmare, where do you think Riccardi sits in this year’s draft? Also do you think Potter gets drafted?

I like that I'm fielding a fair few Riccardi questions of late. He's the VFL prospect I'm most excited about this year. Still so young and improving and playing good football at the level. Second half of draft I see him receiving consideration. Unclear whether picked, but I'd like to see him chosen.

Lachlan Potter probably hasn't improved as much as I would have liked this year and his U18 Champs weren't convincing. With his speed, I'd hope someone picks him up. Clubs in recent years have been clamouring for and overpaying for speed, so he's someone who in theory should. I'd personally take him late/rookie but he was only invited to state screening rather than national, so he's far from a certain selection.

Hi KM, who do we need to watch as far as draftable talent for Eastern today vs the star studded Charges in the NAB League GF?

They finished on top of the ladder I believe so surely they must have some good talent in there, or perhaps just a good team who are well coached?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Oakleigh:
Top end talents this year eligible: Anderson (8), Matthew Rowell (11), Bianco (5), Bryan (4)
Top end talents next year eligible: Ugle-Hagan (25 - WBD NGA), Macrae (29 - bro of Jack), Phillips (9), McInness (39 - Collingwood NGA).
*I could name another 5-10 I like but I'll stick with these guys for now. They're a completely loaded team with the most firepower in the competition. Even more than Sandringham which I didn't think I'd be saying coming into the season. And they're incredibly well drilled and are every year.

Eastern:
Next year eligible: Downie (20), Parker (19).
This year eligible (none are top end talents): Mellis (11), Stapleton (7), Rossiter (13), Pretty (23), Black (10 - son of Heath Freo F/S).
*Eastern aren't all that talented. They're just a well coached team that plays hard. Sandy/Gippsland who got knocked out last week are far more talented but credit to Eastern to playing their hard at it, solid defensive brand.

hey km, i agree with you with gould i like him too, looks a natural footballer to me, he looks to have great size (broad) and seems to be a real durable type, whilst i have only seen bits and pieces of the champs, to me i would have him a long way in front of young and just ahead of ash. I just get the feel he will be a gun. What are your thoughts on him being turned into a forward ?

KM what do you think of Hawthorn NGA Harrison Pepper and do you think Hawks will draft him and also Tom Graham is he good enough for a Rookie pick.

hey km, i agree with you with gould i like him too, looks a natural footballer to me, he looks to have great size (broad) and seems to be a real durable type, whilst i have only seen bits and pieces of the champs, to me i would have him a long way in front of young and just ahead of ash. I just get the feel he will be a gun. What are your thoughts on him being turned into a forward ?

My order this year is completely contrasting to recruiters and perhaps the most independent it's ever been.

Most will have Young, Ash then Gould. I've got Gould, Ash then Young.

Gould I haven't seen as a forward, so hard to know his capabilities, but with the way he plays I think the Shannon Hurn role in defence with the capability to take bigs as required will be how he will be best utilised. Those penetrating kicks are worth their weight in gold in defence.

KM what do you think of Hawthorn NGA Harrison Pepper and do you think Hawks will draft him and also Tom Graham is he good enough for a Rookie pick.

Tom Graham is developable. I wouldn't take him in the national draft, but as a rookie I feel he's worth taking a chance on for Hawthorn.

Pepper similarly I'm not keen on in the national draft, but as a rookie, he's an able defender who has done enough this year to make me think he could be worthwhile there.

KM I was super impressed by Trent Bianco in the under 18’s GF. Looks dual sided and a very accurate kick and seems to have good leadership and footy smarts. Would love GWS to have a look at him as he would make a nice link man delivering it very well. Where do you have him?

KM I was super impressed by Trent Bianco in the under 18’s GF. Looks dual sided and a very accurate kick and seems to have good leadership and footy smarts. Would love GWS to have a look at him as he would make a nice link man delivering it very well. Where do you have him?

Bianco is good. Good skills, versatile. He's a potential component for a team and I view him as something like a not as good but taller Caleb Daniel.

He should go somewhere late first - second round.

SANFL Reserves Grand Final resulted in a win to the Norwood Redlegs over the WWT Eagles.
Notable performers :

Dylan Stephens - 26 disposals - 12 kicks - 14 handballs - 3 marks - 5 tackles - 5 clearances - 2 i50's - 3 r50's
Cam Taheny - 8 disposals - 6 kicks - 2 handballs - 4 marks [3 contested] - 3 tackles - 1 i50 - 4.1
Harry Schoenberg - 20 disposals - 8 kicks - 12 handballs - 3 marks - 6 tackles - 6 clearances - 2 i50's - 1 r50 - 0.1
Jackson Mead - 14 disposals - 8 kicks - 6 handballs - 0 marks - 1 tackle - 4 clearances - 3 i50's - 1 r50 - 1.0
Kysaiah Pickett - 6 disposals - 4 kicks - 2 handballs - 2 marks - 5 tackles - 1 i50 - 2.1

SANFL Reserves Grand Final resulted in a win to the Norwood Redlegs over the WWT Eagles.
Notable performers :

Dylan Stephens - 26 disposals - 12 kicks - 14 handballs - 3 marks - 5 tackles - 5 clearances - 2 i50's - 3 r50's
Cam Taheny - 8 disposals - 6 kicks - 2 handballs - 4 marks [3 contested] - 3 tackles - 1 i50 - 4.1
Harry Schoenberg - 20 disposals - 8 kicks - 12 handballs - 3 marks - 6 tackles - 6 clearances - 2 i50's - 1 r50 - 0.1
Jackson Mead - 14 disposals - 8 kicks - 6 handballs - 0 marks - 1 tackle - 4 clearances - 3 i50's - 1 r50 - 1.0
Kysaiah Pickett - 6 disposals - 4 kicks - 2 handballs - 2 marks - 5 tackles - 1 i50 - 2.1

Am watching the replay now. Will address game/key players in weekly wrap.

I like that I'm fielding a fair few Riccardi questions of late. He's the VFL prospect I'm most excited about this year. Still so young and improving and playing good football at the level. Second half of draft I see him receiving consideration. Unclear whether picked, but I'd like to see him chosen.

Lachlan Potter probably hasn't improved as much as I would have liked this year and his U18 Champs weren't convincing. With his speed, I'd hope someone picks him up. Clubs in recent years have been clamouring for and overpaying for speed, so he's someone who in theory should. I'd personally take him late/rookie but he was only invited to state screening rather than national, so he's far from a certain selection.

Oakleigh:
Top end talents this year eligible: Anderson (8), Matthew Rowell (11), Bianco (5), Bryan (4)
Top end talents next year eligible: Ugle-Hagan (25 - WBD NGA), Macrae (29 - bro of Jack), Phillips (9), McInness (39 - Collingwood NGA).
*I could name another 5-10 I like but I'll stick with these guys for now. They're a completely loaded team with the most firepower in the competition. Even more than Sandringham which I didn't think I'd be saying coming into the season. And they're incredibly well drilled and are every year.

Eastern:
Next year eligible: Downie (20), Parker (19).
This year eligible (none are top end talents): Mellis (11), Stapleton (7), Rossiter (13), Pretty (23), Black (10 - son of Heath Freo F/S).
*Eastern aren't all that talented. They're just a well coached team that plays hard. Sandy/Gippsland who got knocked out last week are far more talented but credit to Eastern to playing their hard at it, solid defensive brand.
A bit harsh on ER Knightmare. Granted they don’t have the elite talent that OC have and were comprehensively outplayed and out coached in the GF, however they do have talent (Stapleton, Pretty, Nathan, Melliis). And they beat both Sandringham and Gippsland in the finals. But when you’re faced with the strike power of OC and you give your leading goal kicker 60% playing time off the bench and 80% of that time he plays in the ruck, you don’t tag Rowell and he gets 44D and kicks 2, and you kick 4 goals to 3/4 time, so move your 2nd highest goal kicker to the back pocket , ff still on the bench and destabilise your defence, well even OC coaches were giggling.
Congrats to OC, fully deserved their victory, but one ER coaches wouldn’t put on their CV.

A bit harsh on ER Knightmare. Granted they don’t have the elite talent that OC have and were comprehensively outplayed and out coached in the GF, however they do have talent (Stapleton, Pretty, Nathan, Melliis). And they beat both Sandringham and Gippsland in the finals. But when you’re faced with the strike power of OC and you give your leading goal kicker 60% playing time off the bench and 80% of that time he plays in the ruck, you don’t tag Rowell and he gets 44D and kicks 2, and you kick 4 goals to 3/4 time, so move your 2nd highest goal kicker to the back pocket , ff still on the bench and destabilise your defence, well even OC coaches were giggling.
Congrats to OC, fully deserved their victory, but one ER coaches wouldn’t put on their CV.

Of the Eastern boys how many of them realistically get picked? None of them were invited to the national combine.

Late/rookie I give Mellis a chance. But otherwise it's more their younger kids that look draftable. It's just a team that has a go. Lots of future state league talent. But that's what Eastern's list consists of.

If you're to say to me. Add as many players that I like (doesn't matter if eligible 2019/2020/2021). Which team would I want access to.

I'm taking of those top 4 sides, and they were the four best sides.
1. Oakleigh
2. Sandringham
3. Gippsland
4. Eastern

And Eastern are an easy outright last with the lack of 2019 prospects what puts them well behind.

The positive Eastern should take away from it is they're not carried by this year's draft eligible players and they can still compete against a group with an incredible number of high end AFL players, so Eastern should again next year be right up the pointy end and probably after Oakleigh could be that next best team again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the Eastern boys how many of them realistically get picked? None of them were invited to the national combine.

Late/rookie I give Mellis a chance. But otherwise it's more their younger kids that look draftable. It's just a team that has a go. Lots of future state league talent. But that's what Eastern's list consists of.

If you're to say to me. Add as many players that I like (doesn't matter if eligible 2019/2020/2021). Which team would I want access to.

I'm taking of those top 4 sides, and they were the four best sides.
1. Oakleigh
2. Sandringham
3. Gippsland
4. Eastern

And Eastern are an easy outright last with the lack of 2019 prospects what puts them well behind.

The positive Eastern should take away from it is they're not carried by this year's draft eligible players and they can still compete against a group with an incredible number of high end AFL players, so Eastern should again next year be right up the pointy end and probably after Oakleigh could be that next best team again.
My point is that talent is not mutually exclusive to national combine invites. ER boys did themselves proud and fell short because they didn’t have the top end elite abilities that other teams (OC) had. However to essentially dismiss them and not recognise their talent is unfair to them, IMHO.

My point is that talent is not mutually exclusive to national combine invites. ER boys did themselves proud and fell short because they didn’t have the top end elite abilities that other teams (OC) had. However to essentially dismiss them and not recognise their talent is unfair to them, IMHO.

I can tell you, 100%, that one of the names you mention from Eastern Ranges has been interviewed at his home by 8 different clubs, with one of the power Melbourne clubs interviewing him at least twice at his home (several hours both times), visited his school and kept in very close contact during the season. Said club have also put him in touch with several players from the club (for 1 on 1's) and encouraged him to stay in touch with them and the recruiters during the drafting process. Additionally, he has been put through extensive psychometric and other behavioural testing by at least 4 of the clubs.

Last edited:

When I'm talking talent, I'm talking draft relevance and probability of becoming someone at the next level.

Absolutely the Eastern players should be proud of what they've done. They've overachieved well beyond any expectation I had of them. They may not have anyone drafted, and if one or two go, it's late or as rookies. So to do that and get this far, particularly with Sandringham and Gippsland particularly strong sides this year, it's a credit to the players and coaches. And a lot of it was achieved because they're a well coached side with great chemistry, unselfishness and all the intangibles.

I'd happily draft Joel Nathan late/rookie on what I saw this year, good size and looks to cover the ground well enough.
Has had a very good, consistent year. Good aggression at the ball, backs himself, takes the game on and has sure hands.

After Rowell’s impressive Grand Final performance is there a chance he moves pass Anderson and Green in your ratings??

Is he related to Maurice Nathan?

Not a name I'm familiar with.

After Rowell’s impressive Grand Final performance is there a chance he moves pass Anderson and Green in your ratings??

That top 3 on my board are inseparable. It's like the top 4 last year. Lukosius/Rankine/Smith/Walsh. They're all stars. That's what I'm seeing with Anderson/Green/Rowell.

Like Walsh last year, I fully expect Rowell to be the best first year player and to be the best in those first few seasons.

When comparing Anderson and Rowell. You can look at it as Rowell wins best on ground in every big game. He's a future leader. But there is also
Anderson at 190cm and Rowell at 178cm. One has averages (to estimate) around 28.5d and 2g per game and the other around 30.5d and 0.5g in NAB League.

If just the height and stats were what you knew, Anderson would be a clear choice, with taller guys typically having more improvement in them, and with Anderson as per those numbers the scoreboard impact is a lot heavier because he is that genuine dual position player. I'll probably stick with Anderson at 1 but the seperation is negligable.

Green v Rowell I'm struggling with. Green is the best contested ball winner/stoppage player I've seen at this age and stage. And he's a nice height/size at 188cm himself with plenty of upside. But Rowell obviously is special in his own right. So that one I'm still undecided on and could go either way on in my October power rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back