News Labor promise $7 Million for the Olympic Park Precinct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair rationale to start off with.

Labor builds infrastructre, Liberals sell it off at fire sale prices, we have to re-invest in infrastructure, and then the Liberals sell it off again. The Liberals are coat-tail riding geniuses.

But ALP people never pay for it, thats the problem.

I am still waiting for $20k from your mate Dippers Doughnuts. Typical ALP just go missing when money needs to be repaid.

I am still waiting for $20k from your mate Dippers Doughnuts. Typical ALP just go missing when money needs to be repaid.
Crocodile Tears

We had a bet that if either of our preferred parties didn't win they would ban themselves from the SPR Board for 6 months.

I haven't been back there since election day, but I notice you still post there.

How is that possible seeing neither party won?

So don't come on here talking about welshers, you are one of the biggest

It was only up for 5 minutes before it was taken down, but today the collingwood twitter page tweeted "to all pies fans in Vic, VOTE LABOR!..blah blah"

As a passionate Pies supporter I was just so insulted when I read this and that the club would treat us like this. There are more important things in this election than $7m for Olympic Park. I tweeted back saying how pathetic it was on their behalf.

I don't love collingwood so they can tell me to vote labor. No prizes for guessing who I'm voting for.

Mate, trust me, the Collingwood Football Club doesn't tell the IT guy (Jono Bernard I'm guessing) everything that he posts on Twitter.

That post (about voting for labour) would have been an individuals idea, not a club idea and I'm sure even the club wouldn't be happy with anyone posting something like that, and linking the club to one political party.

I'm a labor voter, nearly always have been, but that doesn't mean I agree with any sporting organisation using their "clout" to promote any political party, especially with a state election only days away.

Don't get too upset, that wasn't a club message, I can guarantee you that, that was just one message posted by an employee, who no doubt has been "chewed out" by his boss since.

And so he should be matty embarrasing the club with his stupidity.
I agree entirely, individual teams and politics do not mix.

I don't know who the culprit was, in fact now I think about it, it was almost certainly some "understudy" to Jono Bernard, seeing as he is in Arizona more then likely.

I would've expected more from a club with such a large supporter base, they should know we do not discriminate at Collingwood, as long as you wear black and white, we simply don't care what your personal, religious, political or other preferences are.:)

Yep, I would vote for them too.

They have only been in power for 12 going on -15- going on 18 years constantly without break.

They will be in power for at least 20 years without any other party getting in control. Everyone should just votes Labor no matter how incompetent they are.

Democracy is best served when one party is in power without a break -does wonders for the people.:rolleyes: Those in power get complacent, arrogant and incompetent...but yep agree...let's just vote Labor no matter what.

They have only been in power for 12 going on -15- going on 18 years constantly without break.

They will be in power for at least 20 years without any other party getting in control. Everyone should just votes Labor no matter how incompetent they are.

Democracy is best served when one party is in power without a break -does wonders for the people.:rolleyes: Those in power get complacent, arrogant and incompetent...but yep agree...let's just vote Labor no matter what.
Jeeze that was uplifting
not to mention completely random
who cares? Pollies are totally irrelevant to this site anyway

Harmesy I hate the Blues with a passion but simply put democracy is best served changing governments every 2 or 3 terms. Any more and you get the stench of corruption that happened under Cain, Kirner, Kennett and with Harry Madden the main instigator and beneficiary under Brumby.

I think all our planning woes in Victoria are due to having a dimwit Carlton ruckman as the minister.

So in the name of democracy and maybe getting a train line built instead of a toll road in the future, maybe better off not voting Harry Madden in again.

The people generally get it right and I expect them to again this Saturday.

The ALP never pay for infrastructure because some random person owes you 20k? I seeeeee.

So I take it the 23 years of Liberal Party rule wasn't ok.

Care to state some specific instances, and don't give me Myki, because I'll give you scratchies.

Only dullards think you should change a competent govt for some constipated yuppie from Toorak who wouldn't know his arse from his elbow.

The ALP never pay for infrastructure because some random person owes you 20k? I seeeeee.

So I take it the 23 years of Liberal Party rule wasn't ok.

Care to state some specific instances, and don't give me Myki, because I'll give you scratchies.

Only dullards think you should change a competent govt for some constipated yuppie from Toorak who wouldn't know his arse from his elbow.

Nope - didn't agree with 23 years of Liberal govt - don't agree with 12 years of Labor govt.

The only way you can keep them on their toes is to vote the Bas**8rds out after 2 or 3 terms (unless they are doing an exceptional job - and that is rare...and I know for a fact Brumby isn't doing a good job, so to vote him back in for being a shite leader doesn't equate with me). Still think Labor will win, so my vote is meaningless really.

Harmesy I hate the Blues with a passion but simply put democracy is best served changing governments every 2 or 3 terms. Any more and you get the stench of corruption that happened under Cain, Kirner, Kennett and with Harry Madden the main instigator and beneficiary under Brumby.

I think all our planning woes in Victoria are due to having a dimwit Carlton ruckman as the minister.

So in the name of democracy and maybe getting a train line built instead of a toll road in the future, maybe better off not voting Harry Madden in again.

The people generally get it right and I expect them to again this Saturday.

I agree with everything you said - except the last sentence. The people don't normally get it right - how can you explain voting for Fraser in federal election 1980 and Carr in NSW state politics on those grounds?

I think people often get it wrong. I don't understand how you have "faith in the people".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope - didn't agree with 23 years of Liberal govt - don't agree with 12 years of Labor govt.

The only way you can keep them on their toes is to vote the Bas**8rds out after 2 or 3 terms (unless they are doing an exceptional job - and that is rare...and I know for a fact Brumby isn't doing a good job, so to vote him back in for being a shite leader doesn't equate with me). Still think Labor will win, so my vote is meaningless really.

You know for a fact, wow. Where can I read more of your scouring political analysis?

I agree with everything you said - except the last sentence. The people don't normally get it right - how can you explain voting for Fraser in federal election 1980 and Carr in NSW state politics on those grounds?

I think people often get it wrong. I don't understand how you have "faith in the people".
Lets not forget the interminable terms of Joh (gerrymander) Bjelki Peterson and Honest John (Iron man) Howard. There is no way possible that any sort of even semi conscious human would vote for those specimens once, let alone multiple times.

Lets not forget the interminable terms of Joh (gerrymander) Bjelki Peterson and Honest John (Iron man) Howard. There is no way possible that any sort of even semi conscious human would vote for those specimens once, let alone multiple times.

Both Howard and Byeki Peterson lost their way the longer they were in power.

Howard didn't know how to release the handles of power - not a good sign. Ia was all me, me, me - not what is good for the country.
So too BPeterson.

When parties are in power too long it leads to either
corruption - BPeterson,
incompetence - Brumby,
arrogance - Brumby, Howard, Fraser
waste - Brumby.

Both Howard and Byeki Peterson lost their way the longer they were in power.

Howard didn't know how to release the handles of power - not a good sign. Ia was all me, me, me - not what is good for the country.
So too BPeterson.

When parties are in power too long it leads to either
corruption - BPeterson,
incompetence - Brumby,
arrogance - Brumby, Howard, Fraser
waste - Brumby.

Thanks Michelle Grattan. Do you think you went a bit too in-depth and high-brow though?

Harmesy etal

The reason I said generally the public gets it right is because it does.

Occasionally, due to things often not known to the voters at the time, parties can get voted in, and then it comes to light they were sitting on a lie or a bunch of them, and then they become political suicide.

That's when the leader changes if you are smart, and you try to buy another few terms.

But in the main, the people give governments the length of term they deserve. On Howard - he got in because of the strength of his opposition, not because of his personal brilliance (you only get one Latham in your lifetime). On Joh - he got and stayed in because he created a now illegal gerrymander.

But more than anything else, Harmesy, I am pleased you agreed with the fact that Harry Madden is a dimwit. :thumbsu:

Harmesy etal
But more than anything else, Harmesy, I am pleased you agreed with the fact that Harry Madden is a dimwit. :thumbsu:
The only thing more laughable than a politician is a celebrity/sports star turned pollie. All parties USE them and it should be a constant reminder of the breadth and depth of intellect and considered judgment all pollies bring to bear in the service of their constituents :p;);)

Theoretically, the best form of government is a dictator who does what is best for the nation in the long-term without regard for short-term consequences. Of course, that would never happen as people want short-term results and vote parties out if they don't get them. However, just on principle, your argument is flawed as a longer government (provided they are good at what they do/ are bona fide) is always better than short term governments.

Theoretically, the best form of government is a dictator who does what is best for the nation in the long-term without regard for short-term consequences. Of course, that would never happen as people want short-term results and vote parties out if they don't get them. However, just on principle, your argument is flawed as a longer government (provided they are good at what they do/ are bona fide) is always better than short term governments.

I said if a government does a good job they are warranted a long term...but there are few govts - very few - less than 10% that deserve long terms.

The fact is
1) corruption 2) incompetence 3) excess spending 4) arrogance are usually the product of what happens for parties that have been in power for 2 or more terms.

If you can think of one that hasn't met this criteria (the four points above) in recent years - labor or liberal - i am all ears.

NSW Labor have been in power for yonks up there and they make Bracks look ...well better than them, which is difficult. They have crossed off everything on the list - 1)corruption -tick 2) incompetence - tick 3) excess spending - tick-4) arrogance - tick...but guess what ? they keep getting voted back in ...hilarious in a way.

Vic Labor heading the way of NSW Labor. They are complacent as they know they will win yet again at next election. In the paper they pretend to be all frightened about the result...oooh, it will be close, one seat ladidididadda nonsense. Rubbish, they have won already. and again it is funny as they are hopeless.

Liberals that should have had less time in power:-
1) Fraser - complete rubbish was Fraser.
2) Howard - last term was nonsense.

and quite frankly I can't think of many others that have been in power long enough to complain about...well not recently anyway as Liberals rarely win.

The Labor party exists as a power much the same way as the church.

"There are no athiests in foxholes".

Yet, i would scream "Save me God" because that is what i have been "taught".

The same as "I'm in a union/I'm a battler so therefore I must vote Labor.

Crap!!! Vote Labor in with Greens backing them. Your worst nightmare.
But bring it on, I can buy solar, wind whatever.....

Can you?

And guess what happens then. The price for the "battlers" goes up again.

Vote Laboured.

The Liberals don't stand for anything except letting the market rip, tax cuts and denuding state infrastructure and spending on education.

Probably not the best course of action when countries like China and India are set to be the manufacturing economies of the next 100 years. Might be a good idea to be a step ahead and invest in tertiary education for a tertiary, R&D based economy.

But hey, let's just sit on a pile of resource receipts and preference tax cuts over reshaping the economy. That way we can become a giant quarry with citizens who can buy overseas manufactures to blow out our balance of trade figures.

That's an economic model for the future.

The Liberals don't stand for anything except letting the market rip, tax cuts and denuding state infrastructure and spending on education.

Probably not the best course of action when countries like China and India are set to be the manufacturing economies of the next 100 years. Might be a good idea to be a step ahead and invest in tertiary education for a tertiary, R&D based economy.

But hey, let's just sit on a pile of resource receipts and preference tax cuts over reshaping the economy. That way we can become a giant quarry with citizens who can buy overseas manufactures to blow out our balance of trade figures.

That's an economic model for the future.

You are bought and sold if you really think political parties can be defined by these type of slogans.

You are exactly where the Labor Party want you if you believe the claptrap mentioned above. If you aren't a swinging voter- you aren't relevant. They have your vote in the pocket no matter what. Good luck with that.

You are bought and sold if you really think political parties can be defined by these type of slogans.

You are exactly where the Labor Party want you if you believe the claptrap mentioned above. If you aren't a swinging voter- you aren't relevant. They have your vote in the pocket no matter what. Good luck with that.
FFS when did this become a political rally?

FOOTBALL - remember?????

Stick yer politics where the sun don't shine.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Labor promise $7 Million for the Olympic Park Precinct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back