Ladder predictions for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

No googles here, mate.

Watson is a good footballer, but Sylvia showed this year in bursts that his best is far beyond anything Watson is capable of doing in a match. And with Col undertaking his first unimpeded pre-season, I know who I'd rather have.

Watson on his day is a beast...he gave Lenny Hayes the mother of all spankings in Round 20 and I rate Lenny as one of the best mids in the game. Saints couldn't touch him that day.

1.Bulldogs
2.St.kilda
3.Adelaide
4.Essendon
5.Collingwood
6.Carlton
7.Port Adelaide
8.Fremantle
9.Sydney
10.Hawthorn
11.Brisbane
12.West Coast
13.Richmond
14.Geelong
15.Melbourne
16.North Melbourne

Coleman: Quentin Lynch, bit of a dark horse.
Brownlow: Jobe Watson, easily.

You shouldn't have even bothered.

Would not swap Sylvia for Watson for all the nmoney in the world. A slow inside ball-winner with only reasonable skills for a game breaker, who having overcome injuries and is getting preseasons under his belt, is now ready to reach elite level.
these are the kinds of things that annoy me. You wouldn't swap Sylvia for Watson? fair enough. But for all the money in the world???!!! You're implying that Sylvia is that far ahead of JW. Ridiculous claim. Like that Port joker on the last page who claimed that hartlett is miiiiiiles ahead of Morton. Sure, you can prefer HH, thats fine, but to suggest that hes very far ahead of Cale is nothing but ridiculous.

You can have opinions, just don't sound like a complete FLOG:thumbsu:

No googles here, mate.

Watson is a good footballer, but Sylvia showed this year in bursts that his best is far beyond anything Watson is capable of doing in a match. And with Col undertaking his first unimpeded pre-season, I know who I'd rather have.

No goggles yet after one decent season of football for his career he is ready to reach elite level.

Watson is a good player or as you described him before "a slow inside midfielder"? If only he was quick and played on the outside eh?

I doubt you will find many neutrals agreeing with you.

these are the kinds of things that annoy me. You wouldn't swap Sylvia for Watson? fair enough. But for all the money in the world???!!! You're implying that Sylvia is that far ahead of JW. Ridiculous claim. Like that Port joker on the last page who claimed that hartlett is miiiiiiles ahead of Morton. Sure, you can prefer HH, thats fine, but to suggest that hes very far ahead of Cale is nothing but ridiculous.

You can have opinions, just don't sound like a complete FLOG:thumbsu:

The above statement probably came across a little severly, but who made you the moral police???

I think Sylvia has far greater upside than Watson. I have stated that Watson is a good footballer. But no way would I contemplate an exchange between the two.

No goggles yet after one decent season of football for his career he is ready to reach elite level.

Watson is a good player or as you described him before "a slow inside midfielder"? If only he was quick and played on the outside eh?

I doubt you will find many neutrals agreeing with you.

I wonder who St Kilda, Geelong or the Western Bulldogs would take if Sylvia and Watson were both put on the table???

I wouldn't do it either, only because of Watson's age and Sylvia's potential. Doesn't stop Watson being a gun though :thumbsu:

Never stated he wasn't a good footballer. I just believe he has limitations that stop him from being considered elite.

I wonder who St Kilda, Geelong or the Western Bulldogs would take if Sylvia and Watson were both put on the table???

Depends on needs and also what the clubs would have to give up in return. Watson would cost these clubs more at the trade table and considering Cross and Hayes are two of the best inside mids in the game (along with Watson and a couple of others) i don't know which way they would go.

Why don't you just ask the neutrals who they think is the better player instead of choosing 3 clubs that probably have more of a need for a Sylvia type player?

Depends on needs and also what the clubs would have to give up in return. Watson would cost these clubs more at the trade table and considering Cross and Hayes are two of the best inside mids in the game (along with Watson and a couple of others) i don't know which way they would go.

Why don't you just ask the neutrals who they think is the better player instead of choosing 3 clubs that probably have more of a need for a Sylvia type player?

I selected these 3 clubs because they are right in the mix for a flag in 2010, and in my mind Sylvia would take any of these clubs closer to this goal than Watson.

Sylvia has that X factor that Watson does not have, and is capable of winning them games in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't see much of Essendon last year, but is Watson that good? Slow inside midfielder with quick hands, but only a couple of years ago he was pretty well bagged continually for poor disposal, to the extent he wasn't meant to kick it during a game. His stats show he handballs at a 3 to 2 ratio to kicks. I've got nothing against the guy and good on him for making a successful AFL career, but Brownlow?? Isn't he getting pumped up just a wee bit? Would he get a game with the Cats or Saints or Bullies? Not slagging him off, just asking the question.

I didn't see much of Essendon last year, but is Watson that good? Slow inside midfielder with quick hands, but only a couple of years ago he was pretty well bagged continually for poor disposal, to the extent he wasn't meant to kick it during a game. His stats show he handballs at a 3 to 2 ratio to kicks. I've got nothing against the guy and good on him for making a successful AFL career, but Brownlow?? Isn't he getting pumped up just a wee bit? Would he get a game with the Cats or Saints or Bullies? Not slagging him off, just asking the question.

Wow, an inside midfielder has a greater handball to kick ratio. Thanks for the insight. :thumbsu:

As for his kicking, unfairly maligned. It did drop off in 2008 but in years previous and 2009 his kicking efficiency is actually pretty good. Not what you would call elite, but far from being terrible.

Instead of just piggy backing on other peoples poor observations, watch him play and make your own.

Wow, an inside midfielder has a greater handball to kick ratio. Thanks for the insight. :thumbsu:

As for his kicking, unfairly maligned. It did drop off in 2008 but in years previous and 2009 his kicking efficiency is actually pretty good. Not what you would call elite, but far from being terrible.

Instead of just piggy backing on other peoples poor observations, watch him play and make your own.

I call this "Brady Rawlings Syndrome"

When a bloke can't pinpoint laser precision 60 metre passes with both feet, he is automatically considered a bad kick.:thumbsu:

Wow a smart arse and patronising reply to a query on a BF forum :thumbsu: Instead of just taking a shot for no reason, post a courteous reply when somebody asks a genuine question.

Just for the record I just went and checked a few well renowned clearance players

Brett Kirk
Sam Mitchell
Simon Black
Scott West
Paul Haselby

All at 1 to 1 ratio, generally favoring kicks over handballs. Kirk average 9.1 kick to 9.6 handballs a game and is the only one with more handballs and kicks. If you have any more great insights, either keep them to yourself or do your stats first.

No offense but that is your problem right there. His disposal is fine. Not great but not bad. He has better kicking efficiency than guys like Chris Judd so it's not too bad. Think about how potentially good Palmer is going to be for you guys and then ask yourself about his disposal.

As for his handball to kick ratio what do you expect from an extractor. He gets the pill out to the runners. FWIW in season 2009:

Jobe Watson - kicks 221, handballs 322.
Gary Ablett - kicks 299, handballs 445.

Greg Williams is the best inside midfielder i have ever seen. He came out this season and said that Jobe Watson is as good as any inside midfielder in the comp and is as good as Simon Black. I reckon this guy would know a good inside mid when he sees one.

That's why i asked the question Sir Jim. I see no problem with asking for information. Incidentally I just checked on Greg Williams as well and over the course of his career he averaged 12.5 kicks to 14.4 handballs. Watson is at 9.3 kicks to to 12.6 handballs. It is quite a difference.

That's why i asked the question Sir Jim. I see no problem with asking for information. Incidentally I just checked on Greg Williams as well and over the course of his career he averaged 12.5 kicks to 14.4 handballs. Watson is at 9.3 kicks to to 12.6 handballs. It is quite a difference.

Nothing wrong with asking the questions, mate. I wasn't having a go.

There is no doubt that in the past Watson didn't have the confidence in his kicking and as a result he tended to look for handballs when the best option was to kick.

These days his kicking is fine and he has a lot more confidence in it. He has even started having a few shots on goal.

Also, i'm not sure about all the comparisons you used. The guys you listed play both inside and outside and Mitchell played a lot of footy off half back this season.

Kirk would be the exception but i wouldn't mind seeing his kicking efficiency. He does tend to throw the ball on the boot quit a bit out of packs.

Compare Watson's handball to kick ratio against other pure inside players such as Daniel Cross.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladder predictions for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back