Let’s start again - Changes R18 vs Carltank

Remove this Banner Ad

Buss debut
Garcia in

Make It So Star Trek GIF

Funnily enough.. I have more faith in us playing good footy when our backs are against the wall, rather than being fully fit and having a best 22 on the park. Make of that what you will…
The bont will probably kill himself again and get it over the line. It’s not much of a game plan.

1. Our top 3 players kill themselves to win couple of games and put ourselves in a place to challenge for finals;

2. We play a couple of teams we should beat and our players take a mental break and drop a couple

3. See one above

4. Rinse and repeat

Why do we need to protect a debutant from a good side? Hes either ready or he’s not. Seems ludicrous to me.
I don't think we're protecting him tbh. The video he did on the website after re-signing he acknowledged intercepting comes naturally to him but he is working on his one on one defending. That says to me he's just not ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s saying that we have debuted Clarke.. but then decided Busslinger isn’t ready. Basically questioning selection integrity.

We debuted Clarke for the exact same reasons we want to debut Buss - strong performance at VFL level and injuries in his position. Clarke turned out to not be ready so now there's a bit of hindsight bias saying it was wrong to select him. Would the same thing happen if Buss debuted and had a shocker?

I suspect Buss will be ecstatic if he gets a call up this week.He won’t give a flying who we are playing.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Guy McKenna, the inaugural coach of GCS was on SEN on Thursday morning this week and said something interesting I thought. He said when he wanted to debut a player he would look for a run of games against a good, a middling and a poor team. He would stick with the player for the three games. He would then assess the debutants performance against all three teams and start forming a view on that players future. Not sure if we have assessed Carlton as a “good” team or the alternatives or whether it explains why Guy is no longer coaching but it was one coaches view of wanting to see a debutante perform against good opponents.

Guy McKenna, the inaugural coach of GCS was on SEN on Thursday morning this week and said something interesting I thought. He said when he wanted to debut a player he would look for a run of games against a good, a middling and a poor team. He would stick with the player for the three games. He would then assess the debutants performance against all three teams and start forming a view on that players future. Not sure if we have assessed Carlton as a “good” team or the alternatives or whether it explains why Guy is no longer coaching but it was one coaches view of wanting to see a debutante perform against good opponents.

Some debutants would have waited sometime when the coach is looking for such a string of games

Has some merit to it in an ideal scenario...but don't think you can always commit to the 3 game block depending on performance or selection integrity.

I think debutants wherever possible should debut against a weaker opponent and at home...a way to ease them in and build confidence.

Basically don't do what Melb did to Jack Watts by debuting him vs Collingwood in a blockbuster Queens Bday clash. Don't think that helps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back