Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
nah, just me having a swipe at whoever deleted my previous post of our injury list without proof.

It was me and you quoted a post that was deleted. It had nothing to do with what you posted.

URL Provided :p

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-03/wheres-your-club-at-training-return-injuries-major-moves

PORT-header.png

Training return: The first-to-fourth-year players start pre-season training on Monday, November 5, with the rest of the squad returning on Monday, November 19.

Injury list: Midfielder Tom Rockliff (shoulder) and key forward Charlie Dixon (fractured leg) will have delayed start to their pre-seasons. Rockliff will be running, but won't return to contact work until the New Year. He's hopeful of being available for the Power's first JLT Series game. Dixon will be sidelined until after Christmas. Half-back flanker Hamish Hartlett is continuing to build his training loads after tearing the ACL in his right knee in April, as is ruckman Sam Hayes, who tore his ACL in June. All Australian forward Robbie Gray has recovered after a clean out of his right knee at the end of the season. Tom Clurey (foot), Todd Marshall (foot), Matthew Broadbent (foot), Joel Garner (shoulder) and Willem Drew (heel) are expected to be ready for the start of pre-season after their surgeries.

Draft picks: 5, 10, 15, 85

Major off-field moves: The Power have welcomed back 2004 premiership winners Jarrad Schofield, Brett Montgomery and Dean Brogan in assistant coaching roles. Schofield – after guiding Subiaco to three straight WAFL premierships – is the Power's midfield coach. Montgomery will look after the forwards. Michael Voss moves to a senior assistant coaching role, filling the void left by Matthew Nicks' move to Greater Western Sydney. Montgomery replaces Brendon Lade, who has joined St Kilda. Brogan will be the Power's ruck coach. Head of development Aaron Greaves has left the Power and joined North Melbourne.

What about Damian Barrett suggesting playing a showdown in Melbourne? Has the man lost his mind? He says they'll get 55K-65K. Adelaide had a crowd of 54K at the MCG last year against Richmond. We had one of 46K against Collingwood. If we draw that against Victoria's biggest pulling clubs, and one game was last year's finalists, one was against a rampaging Pies team, what would we draw against each other? A good crowd for two non-Vic teams but I can't see more than 45K, even at a stretch. And the kick in the guts for SA would do irreparable damage to the AFL and dispel any notion that it is more than an extended VFL.

Last edited:
I was watching Best of Enemies on SBS yesterday featuring Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira. It did get me to thinking that having someone of Keane's character as club captain would be amazing. Yes he could be a brutal player but he set standards for himself and his teammates that he expected them to live up to every game. And he was not afraid to tell them so. He challenged players and managers alike.

The interviewer reminded Keane of Ferguson's quote on Keane's display in the Champions League semi-final against Juventus in 1999: “It was the most emphatic display of selflessness I have seen on a football field. Pounding over every blade of grass, competing as if he would rather die of exhaustion than lose, he inspired all around him. I felt it was an honour to be associated with such a player.”

Keane's response was that he felt it insulted by the comment as what did Ferguson expect him to do? Give something less than his best? Not pound every blade of grass? Do you thank the postman for delivering your mail?

I was watching Best of Enemies on SBS yesterday featuring Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira. It did get me to thinking that having someone of Keane's character as club captain would be amazing. Yes he could be a brutal player but he set standards for himself and his teammates that he expected them to live up to every game. And he was not afraid to tell them so. He challenged players and managers alike.

The interviewer reminded Keane of Ferguson's quote on Keane's display in the Champions League semi-final against Juventus in 1999: “It was the most emphatic display of selflessness I have seen on a football field. Pounding over every blade of grass, competing as if he would rather die of exhaustion than lose, he inspired all around him. I felt it was an honour to be associated with such a player.”

Keane's response was that he felt it insulted by the comment as what did Ferguson expect him to do? Give something less than his best? Not pound every blade of grass? Do you thank the postman for delivering your mail?

Yeah I watched that too. It was good.

Did.. did my post just get deleted for not having a quoted url?

Fine.
They forgot:
Watts - Ankle surgery, and Bonner - foot surgery.

So the injury list going into preseason on limited and restricted programs is:
Gray
Dixon
Hartlett
Rockliff
Watts
Clurey
Marshall
Bonner
Broadbent
Garner
Drew
Hayes

Not ideal

View attachment 581067

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/22e022d3207fff5d85ac60c54f00b099

That good enough?
Well that explans all the rehab swimming Watts has been doing.

Keano was brutal. To the point he left a World Cup when he was the captain of the Irish team because they were so amateurish.

Keano was brutal. To the point he left a World Cup when he was the captain of the Irish team because they were so amateurish.

I believe he used the word muppets. :D

He talked about that too and conceded he would have done that differently given another chance. He felt like he let his family down.

But yes incredibly driven and demanding. He came across as not being worried about being anyone's best friend. You were there to give your all for the team every moment of every game.

He talked about that too and conceded he would have done that differently given another chance. He felt like he let his family down.

But yes incredibly driven and demanding. He came across as not being worried about being anyone's best friend. You were there to give your all for the team every moment of every game.

He was also a gutless thug.

Never tried it on blokes like Viera what he did to Alf Inge Haaland.

He's an awful manager though. the Irish team are awful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was also a gutless thug.

Never tried it on blokes like Viera what he did to Alf Inge Haaland.

Yeah whatever, I'm not interested in a discussion about Roy Keane.

Only his type of uncompromising team first attitude within a playing group that challenges players and coaches.

That is something from the outside it appears we lack. Tom Jonas might be the one.

He's an awful manager though. the Irish team are awful.

That's why I specifically referred to someone in the playing group to drive standards.

Yeah whatever, I'm not interested in a discussion about Roy Keane.

Only his type of umcompromising team first attitude within a playing group that challenges players and coaches.

That is something from the outside it appears we lack. Tom Jonas might be the one.

Yeah whatever, umcompromiser.

Maybe we've missed a trick in not pushing for guys of premiership experience (ie. Hodge / Mitchell / Lewis) to help guide the transition of the group from the hunters to the hunted. Would've been good to leverage off Hinkley's Geelong reputation (Johnson / Bartel / Enright all possibilities).

All respect to Ryder / Dixon / Rockliff who are all very good and experienced footballers but they came in with a sum of zero finals wins and fairly dysfunctional playing environments. I know we were hoping for our PF-making group to develop organically, but even in those years there was an element of mental softness amongst the players.

Maybe we've missed a trick in not pushing for guys of premiership experience (ie. Hodge / Mitchell / Lewis) to help guide the transition of the group from the hunters to the hunted. Would've been good to leverage off Hinkley's Geelong reputation (Johnson / Bartel / Enright all possibilities).

All respect to Ryder / Dixon / Rockliff who are all very good and experienced footballers but they came in with a sum of zero finals wins and fairly dysfunctional playing environments. I know we were hoping for our PF-making group to develop organically, but even in those years there was an element of mental softness amongst the players.
Wouldnt of been against that if who ever came in had some fuel tickets to burn still.

Can i get a 1 paragraph run down of whats happened since that bombers game.
Ive had my head burried in work and doing home renos. Polec and Wingard have apparently left thats about all i know. Give me something so i know i wont be wasting half my weekends again in 2019 please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back