Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can i get a 1 paragraph run down of whats happened since that bombers game.
Ive had my head burried in work and doing home renos. Polec and Wingard have apparently left thats about all i know. Give me something so i know i wont be wasting half my weekends again in 2019 please

As you say, Polec and Wingard have left. Pittard and Hombsch have left for a plain biscuit and we have traded most of our picks so that we have three in the first round. Ryan Burton has arrived from Hawthorn in the Wingard trade, Scott Lycett from West Coast as a free agent and Sam Mayes from Brisbane in a trade that also included a pick upgrade.
See the details of all of our trades here :

http://www.afl.com.au/news/trade/trade-tracker filter for Port Adelaide trades only.

So depending on how those players turn out and how they are used we may not have lost much. We have a second ruck, something we have been crying out for since Paddy came and Lobbe lost form. Although Wingard and Polec have gone there have been plenty of cases where teams have lost guns and others have stepped up and no longer just play on the shirttails of others.

As you say, Polec and Wingard have left. Pittard and Hombsch have left for a plain biscuit and we have traded most of our picks so that we have three in the first round. Ryan Burton has arrived from Hawthorn in the Wingard trade, Scott Lycett from West Coast as a free agent and Sam Mayes from Brisbane in a trade that also included a pick upgrade.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/trade/trade-tracker filter for Port Adelaide trades only.

So depending on how those players turn out and how they are used we may not have lost much. We have a second ruck, something we have been crying out for since Paddy came and Lobbe lost form. Although Wingard and Polec have gone there have been plenty of cases where teams have lost guns and others have stepped up and no longer just play on the shirttails of others.
So its not all doom and gloom, Pittard shits me with his lack of vision and poor disposal, i actually thought he was coming good then he went back to spudiness. Losing Polec is not ideal he had started winning his own ball a bit but no right boot and wingard had been sooking it since he couldnt cut it as a full time mid. Lycett coming in i do like and we shall see how Burton holds up i guess. I dont know much about the other guy from Bris.
It looks like it might be worth turning up again this year even if its just to see Watts lose focus

Btw cheers mate, much appreciated

So its not all doom and gloom, Pittard shits me with his lack of vision and poor disposal, i actually thought he was coming good then he went back to spudiness. Losing Polec is not ideal he had started winning his own ball a bit but no right boot and wingard had been sooking it since he couldnt cut it as a full time mid. Lycett coming in i do like and we shall see how Burton holds up i guess. I dont know much about the other guy from Bris.
It looks like it might be worth turning up again this year even if its just to see Watts lose focus

Polec out Farrell in....seamless I think.

Last edited:
I have looked at the age profile of a potential Port 2019 team (setting their ages at 01 Sept 2019) projected to make the GF.
Yes, I know …..hallucinating.

I stole a projected starting lineup for the 2019 season suggested by FishingRick, who seems to be vaguely sensible, as a guesstimate of a “Port 2019 GF team”:
Westhoff, Ryder, R Gray, Boak, Rockliff, Ebert, Hartlett, Dixon, Jonas, Motlop, Lycett, Clurey, Lienert, Wines, Byrne-Jones, Howard, Burton, Houston, Powell-Pepper, Marshall, Farrell, Rozee
So that’s a definite maybe for a GF team. It does seem to encompass most of the talent we have. S Gray missing is noted.
FishingRick did not identify draft pick 5, who he suggested as an inclusion in the starting season team, so I nominated Rozee for him. It matters little in terms of age profiling, which draft pick gets nominated.

As well as age profiling a proposed “Port 2019 GF team”, I have similarly profiled the 2018 Eagles premiers (I’ve looked at Tigers 2017 and Magpies 2018 Runner-up, but the post gets too long including them in detail). Just 22 players in each case.
Ages have been categorized in 1.5 year intervals eg >=18.0 &<19.5 years old….etc, and the number of players counted in those intervals. These data for Eagles 2018 GF and proposed “Port 2019 GF team”.are in the bar charts below.
Another graph below plots the accumulating % of players in those same age categories against the midpoint of the age intervals shown in the bar charts eg >=18.0 &<19.5 has a midpoint of 18.75 years…etc. In this case I have blended the Eagles 2018 GF, Richmond 2017 GF and Collingwood 2018 (Runner-up) teams into a group of 66 players who are “GF ready” to generate a reference age profile of GF ready players, against which I can compare the proposed “Port 2019 GF team”.
The bar charts convey the following thoughts:
  • I (and most I expect) regard the ages, >=24-<28.5, as a critical age range (perhaps a little younger at the top end), where experience is satisfied, and players have not slowed due to injury or old age. In this range the projected “Port 2019 GF team” has 5 players, Eagles 2018 9 players, Richmond 2017 11 players and Collingwood 2018 (Runners-up) 11players. So roughly twice as many players as a projected “Port 2019 GF team” possesses. We need 9 -11 players in this age range based on this analysis.
  • Sadly Polec and Wingard sit in this ideal age range, but I don’t want to go there.
  • Port has little capacity to attract gun players in this age range, as we all know. Most would agree we probably recruited guys like Motlop to try to address this deficiency, with mediocre success so far. So it’s up to us to put game time into juniors to try to fill the hole. But that takes time.
  • The projected “Port 2019 GF team” has 10 players in the >=28.5<33 age range, Eagles 2018 GF 6 players, Richmond 2017 GF 4 players and Collingwood 2018 (Runners-up) 5 players. So, roughly 2x as many as the 3 x GF teams.
  • Provided Eagles blood decent young players in 2019 they are set up to generate waves of players coming through that critical >=24<28.5 age range.
With regard to the accumulated % chart below I was actually more interested in how age profiling, collectively, 66 GF players would look as a point of future reference, but I have also overlain the accumulated % for the “Port 2019 GF team”:
  • The analysis of the 66 Eagles 2018, Richmond 2017 and Collingwood 2018 GF players produces a pretty smooth reference curve. It might even reflect the desirable age template for a premiership worthy team.
  • 25% of the 66 players in the reference curve are <~23yo ; 50% are <~25yo, 75% are <~27yo and the remaining 25% are <~32yo as a rough approximation. (The middle 50% of players are between ~23 & ~27yo which I suppose means they have played something like 50-60 to 120-140 games?)
  • The proposed “Port 2019 GF team” matches the “ideal curve” not too badly for the younger ages, then falls apart beyond 50%, before accelerating as the older players kick into the age profile and propel the curve to 100% of the player group. Kind of consistent with the bar chart.
Port 2019 and Eagles 2018.jpg
GF Participants vs Port 2019.jpg

Attachments

• GF Participants vs Port 2019.jpg
    GF Participants vs Port 2019.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ge
I have looked at the age profile of a potential Port 2019 team (setting their ages at 01 Sept 2019) projected to make the GF.
Yes, I know …..hallucinating.

I stole a projected starting lineup for the 2019 season suggested by FishingRick, who seems to be vaguely sensible, as a guesstimate of a “Port 2019 GF team”:
Westhoff, Ryder, R Gray, Boak, Rockliff, Ebert, Hartlett, Dixon, Jonas, Motlop, Lycett, Clurey, Lienert, Wines, Byrne-Jones, Howard, Burton, Houston, Powell-Pepper, Marshall, Farrell, Rozee
So that’s a definite maybe for a GF team. It does seem to encompass most of the talent we have. S Gray missing is noted.
FishingRick did not identify draft pick 5, who he suggested as an inclusion in the starting season team, so I nominated Rozee for him. It matters little in terms of age profiling, which draft pick gets nominated.

As well as age profiling a proposed “Port 2019 GF team”, I have similarly profiled the 2018 Eagles premiers (I’ve looked at Tigers 2017 and Magpies 2018 Runner-up, but the post gets too long including them in detail). Just 22 players in each case.
Ages have been categorized in 1.5 year intervals eg >=18.0 &<19.5 years old….etc, and the number of players counted in those intervals. These data for Eagles 2018 GF and proposed “Port 2019 GF team”.are in the bar charts below.
Another graph below plots the accumulating % of players in those same age categories against the midpoint of the age intervals shown in the bar charts eg >=18.0 &<19.5 has a midpoint of 18.75 years…etc. In this case I have blended the Eagles 2018 GF, Richmond 2017 GF and Collingwood 2018 (Runner-up) teams into a group of 66 players who are “GF ready” to generate a reference age profile of GF ready players, against which I can compare the proposed “Port 2019 GF team”.
The bar charts convey the following thoughts:
  • I (and most I expect) regard the ages, >=24-<28.5, as a critical age range (perhaps a little younger at the top end), where experience is satisfied, and players have not slowed due to injury or old age. In this range the projected “Port 2019 GF team” has 5 players, Eagles 2018 9 players, Richmond 2017 11 players and Collingwood 2018 (Runners-up) 11players. So roughly twice as many players as a projected “Port 2019 GF team” possesses. We need 9 -11 players in this age range based on this analysis.
  • Sadly Polec and Wingard sit in this ideal age range, but I don’t want to go there.
  • Port has little capacity to attract gun players in this age range, as we all know. Most would agree we probably recruited guys like Motlop to try to address this deficiency, with mediocre success so far. So it’s up to us to put game time into juniors to try to fill the hole. But that takes time.
  • The projected “Port 2019 GF team” has 10 players in the >=28.5<33 age range, Eagles 2018 GF 6 players, Richmond 2017 GF 4 players and Collingwood 2018 (Runners-up) 5 players. So, roughly 2x as many as the 3 x GF teams.
  • Provided Eagles blood decent young players in 2019 they are set up to generate waves of players coming through that critical >=24<28.5 age range.
With regard to the accumulated % chart below I was actually more interested in how age profiling, collectively, 66 GF players would look as a point of future reference, but I have also overlain the accumulated % for the “Port 2019 GF team”:
  • The analysis of the 66 Eagles 2018, Richmond 2017 and Collingwood 2018 GF players produces a pretty smooth reference curve. It might even reflect the desirable age template for a premiership worthy team.
  • 25% of the 66 players in the reference curve are <~23yo ; 50% are <~25yo, 75% are <~27yo and the remaining 25% are <~32yo as a rough approximation. (The middle 50% of players are between ~23 & ~27yo which I suppose means they have played something like 50-60 to 120-140 games?)
  • The proposed “Port 2019 GF team” matches the “ideal curve” not too badly for the younger ages, then falls apart beyond 50%, before accelerating as the older players kick into the age profile and propel the curve to 100% of the player group. Kind of consistent with the bar chart.
View attachment 583417
View attachment 583419
Gee you’ve done some detailed work there. I wonder if we are after acouple of FAs next yesr in the ideal age bracket?

Just had a coffee with a client. Turns out Port Adelaide do the indigenous cultural awareness courses for the 2,000 person strong Attorney-General's Department. It's run twice a year for new staff and as refreshers after three years. She had just gone through it on Friday with Pauly V at the helm. Described it as very well run, and Paul was energetic and engaging.

It's nice to hear something good about something the club provides, and something so important no less.

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/row...e-Player-At-The-Centre-Of-The-Sexting-Scandal

The Port player engulfed in a sexting scandal last month will not be named by the club or the AFL, and while the “case is closed”, there is a view the player concerned has received “serious level of punishment”, reports Caroline Wilson.

sherrin-power.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back