Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else get an invite to the CEO dinner?
I'm considering going along to hear them out.
Geez how I’ve tumbled down the popularity list, maybe I said something adverse?

This honestly surprised me

This doesn't surprise me too much, as we usually don't score goals from so many entries.

What I would like to see, is number of goals opposition teams score from kick ins for each team. We would have to be number 1 or close to it. Our high high press, results in too many times the oppo kicking goals usually from taking uncontested marks inside their 50m arc, or just running the ball into their goal square and kicking a goal with no Port player close by.

This doesn't surprise me too much, as we usually don't score goals from so many entries.

What I would like to see, is number of goals opposition teams score from kick ins for each team. We would have to be number 1 or close to it. Our high high press, results in too many times the oppo kicking goals usually from taking uncontested marks inside their 50m arc, or just running the ball into their goal square and kicking a goal with no Port player close by.

Maybe it's recency bias because I liked Hawthorn's kick in strategy against us, while I thought we went the long kick to the wing too often, but to take the ball from one end of the field to the other over one third of the time is impressive.

Sure conversion to goal could be better, but we are creating the opportunity more than any other team, and that must make teams nervous about our kick ins.

Maybe it's recency bias because I liked Hawthorn's kick in strategy against us, while I thought we went the long kick to the wing too often, but to take the ball from one end of the field to the other over one third of the time is impressive.

Sure conversion to goal could be better, but we are creating the opportunity more than any other team, and that must make teams nervous about our kick ins.
I just wish they were even more nervous because we converted more of them.

Our majority of kick in strategy is pretty transparent, especially at AO - press up towards oppo goal - Burton, Farrell or Houston take the kick in, kick in 10-20m past the corner of the centre square, just inside the square line, to Dixon, Georgiades, or Soldo being the main targets, sometimes Marshall or Finlayson, if they take the mark look for a chip kick, otherwise rove the ball off hands, run it with handball for another 30-50m and then look up and see no one is inside 50m as they have all pressed up, and either chip it around until there is a target, or blast away because they are about to be tackled.

I just wish they were even more nervous because we converted more of them.

Our majority of kick in strategy is pretty transparent, especially at AO - press up towards oppo goal - Burton, Farrell or Houston take the kick in, kick in 10-20m past the corner of the centre square, just inside the square line, to Dixon, Georgiades, or Soldo being the main targets, sometimes Marshall or Finlayson, if they take the mark look for a chip kick, otherwise rove the ball off hands, run it with handball for another 30-50m and then look up and see no one is inside 50m as they have all pressed up, and either chip it around until there is a target, or blast away because they are about to be tackled.
Yeah but it's an inside 50 and that's the most important thing.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just on the movement from kick ins, I was just surprised we moved the ball that far that often. I didn't think we were great at it, but we are the league leaders. Scoring from kick ins is a bit of a furphy as it doesn't happen much, the real gain is about territory as Cal Twomey discussed in an article earlier this year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1130107/mission-impossible-the-art-and-science-of-kick-ins

"Kick-ins lead to scores about 10 per cent of the time," said one senior AFL coach. "But it is still super important for territory and getting the game where you want it. You need to make sure you're doing them right and not getting them wrong and then try to stop the 'oppo' from getting theirs going. For a small part of the game it does take up some thinking."

So we are gaining territory and giving ourselves an opportunity to score, although not necessarily directly from the kick in. It also means we are getting the ball further away from the opposition's scoring zone more often. Despite our newly minted defence, we are conceding lower average scores this season, although we'll see how that is tested over the next few weeks.

Most coaches, assistants and players spoken to by AFL.com.au about their kick-ins said the priority was getting territory: "The aim is to get it halfway from a kick-in, that's where we'd like to go," said one coach. Another assistant said it's about "metreage". "We challenge our players about every metre counting and taking every chance to edge up the field."

I think a significant element of our ability to transition to I50s is that teams are happy to give us I50s because they know we don't enter the forward 50 efficiently.

Our ball movement through the middle of the ground is often quite quick and difficult to stop. We play on and use run and carry really well. We're brave in our middle of the ground ball movement. Why press high on us and let us get over the back in transition, when you can just play a deep prevent defence, knowing that if you just slow us up a little bit and get set up in your D50, we'll get to the half forward-line and just blaze away inside 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back