Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

“Blue collar” is fine.

“Little”, “Battling”, and generally presenting as an impoverished tryhard existential underdog who hopes to maybe, hopefully, some day, one day upset the applecart if the stars allgn — a shtick routinely peddled by our current chairman, former CEO and a staggering number of our Facebook fans — can FRO.

“Blue collar” is fine.

“Little”, “Battling”, and generally presenting as an impoverished tryhard existential underdog who hopes to maybe, hopefully, some day, one day upset the applecart if the stars allgn — a shtick routinely peddled by our current chairman, former CEO and a staggering number of our Facebook fans — can FRO.

They've certainly killed off most remaining vestiges of the 'Too big for SA/their boots' aura that total domination of the SANFL and our AFL bids engendered.

It's nothing to be ashamed of, if it's true.

Port Adelaide is a professional AFL club, with crowd figures and revenue in the middle of the pack of almost 20 multi million dollar clubs. It has to pay it's players a minimum salary cap. Ollie Wines has been a very good player since his first ever game and therefore should have been commanding above average AFL wages his entire career.

These people talking themselves down to working class is disappointing for them and insulting to the actual working class.

They could see we maintain a working class attitude, we represent a working class area, but the club itself is a historically very successful organisation that elevated itself beyond that.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
I'm not talking about the club, but the tone of discussion. The western suburbs/the Port is nice now, so it's not working class - my grandpa was a wharfie, but I'm so much better because I'm mingling with rich people. It's between the lines but it's there.
I agree that Koch can **** off with the little battlers schtick - but working class is not derro class, as is being implied

Why are you all carrying on like being working class is something to be ashamed of?
I'm not ashamed of being working class, from Glanville, Peterhead, and Largs North.

It's not the point. Ollie's language was loser talk. It breeds loser results.

Positive strong talk breeds success.

Teaching 101.

Can someone confirm if Barry Curtin is still on the payroll at the club? I suspect not with the way he's letting fly on anyone that's not a straight white male on facebook.

Are you sure that’s out of the ordinary??? I would have assumed he was doing that 24/7 ever since he joined the platform
Most of the tripe he's posted on there over the years has just been about the "local rag", but I've noticed the last few weeks it's been about the woke crowd, taking aim at things like Woolworths, and now the Australian open for having LGBTI days etc. It's why it leads me to believe he's officially off the clubs payroll as I'm sure he's been told by people to reel it in at times. Would love nothing more than to get that old wheeze bag cancelled lol.

* me I just had a good laugh looking at his Facebook page
You should be able to pick me out pretty easily on his last post. I only follow him now to wind him up.

It is nothing to be ashamed of, however from the chairman to the playing list, it is used as an out, an excuse as to why we can't have nice things and in-turn, can't compete for a flag.

It is the ultimate cop out.
That’s how you can tell most of the management and a fair chunk of the players aren’t working class.

It’s supposed to be used as a reason to work harder, to be better, to show those ****ers in the eastern suburbs that you aren’t just the situation you are born into and that if they want to beat you they have to break you first. It doesn’t matter that you have a nice house and money now, you had to earn it the hard way, it wasn’t given to you and those ****ers out east made it as hard as they could to make sure you didn’t get yours.

But those running the club see it as an inherent weakness that excuses mediocrity, because they ARE those eastern suburb ****ers, or they’ve sold their soul to be considered one. They see ‘working class’ as those bereft of real chances who should be grateful for scraps.

Jonas epitomised this.

*just a metaphor, calm down Burnsiders.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideally the club wouldn't position itself as a class based entity and would see itself as a unifying thing where people from all walks of life come together for a common cause irrespective of class, colour, creed, etc.

Oh!
A bullshit artist then.

Do you coalesce the vapours of human experience and history, to formulate a coherent and sustainable narrative regarding the importing and exporting of goods and services across national borders?
Is that you Holly?

You should be able to pick me out pretty easily on his last post. I only follow him now to wind him up.

Are you the one who mentioned the glory holes at Berghain?

Absolutely agree, eg the last wharf labourer who played for the club was Reg Beaufoy in the 1960's, and when I went with a friend to collect her daughter from a bus stop at the top end of Fullarton road after a Port game in the early 2000's there were at least a dozen others who got off that bus wearing Power gear.
I am pretty sure Kevin Beswick worked down at the wharves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back