Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

Our midfield ultimately lost it. We were already at max capacity and when Max, our most important and best midfielder went off, the tide completely turned. If only he held up and we win this easily.

Tanner Bruhn simply does not get enough of the ball.

Mitch Duncan was badly exposed and cost two late goals. Champion of the club but needs to be told no more.

Our small forwards bar Stengle were good and backs were serviceable. Stanley battled hard. Mullin shows promise and was solid.

Disappointing end to our season but a lot to be proud of the year. I like how the team stayed and huddled in the middle before leaving the ground. Hopefully the pain sets in and they use this for
Motivation next year.

Great points here, especially on Mullin. He had some absolutely scintillating kicks and moves. Well worth persisting with,

Huge credit to Brisbane, they were great.

Very disappointing loss, but we were in no way disgraced at the conclusion of a year in which we were given little chance of contending - but DID.

We can look back on tonight's game as a lost opportunity - and in many ways it was - but we were really close to a Grand Final in a year where I had next to zero expectations that we might contend.

The umpiring wasn't great - but Brisbane absolutely deserved their win.

The better team won.

We were inept for too long.

We were but despite that if we kick straighter in the second half we win that.
Shades of 2008 just absolutely terrible.

Battered in the 2nd half once Brisbane sped it up and won more of the contest. Changed their ball movement and Geelong couldn’t cope. Bruhn, Atkins Bowes not enough in the middle. Stengle had a mare!
As I have been saying for weeks Brisbane are the best team in it!
Swans rails run though… game on next week!

Anyone else just get a troll PM?

Nope - but if you use the report function, admin will be alerted

Not sure who sent you a PM but a known trouble maker is back making alias accounts and they do like to troll the Geelong board and members

Devastated since you never know when an opportunity like this will come up again and this season really did have a last gasp type of feel to it.

I had Holmes best on at half time and everything began to go downhill when he went off and it became Dangerfield or bust. It's simply too hard to win games when 3 of your main midfielders in Bowes, Bruhn, Atkins, combine for 35 disposals. Holmes had 20 and he only had 50% time on ground.

On the other hand, Humphries has become probably my favourite player, and I haven't been so confident that a late draft pick in his first year with such little games will make it. His skills are magnificent, his confidence to take the game on is amazing to watch, and not only that but he is tough and willing to put his body on the line. He still needs to improve defensively but the attributes are there for an elite player.

Disappointing. Had our chances but brissy were a bit better than us tonight. Did very well to get this far. Marvellous effort. Good try Cats.
Should be a good grand final.

It is funny that injuries completely changed the complexion of the game, the Big O's first injury gave us the ascendancy, and his 2nd which pulled Danniher out of their forwardline supercharged their ball movement. Once they got past the first line of resistance we had nothing to stop them with. Suddenly we were way too tall.

Holmes' injury was doubly cruel to him personally and to our chances. It revealed our fragility, we needed everything to go right for us to take the win. A small knock off the path was enough.

As beautiful as the 2nd quarter was it would be telling on review how few tools we had at our disposal. The trick worked. But we didn't have enough substance anywhere else to take the win home.

The selection decision to pull hold Tuohy and Duncan was probably based on a fear of what happened in the 2nd half anyway. We gave away our advantage in footskills. the absence wasn't the thing that caused the loss but took away a possible counter attack option. Road not taken stuff.

We're going to have a lot of sore bodies.

We found a few players this year. We'll need to find a few more this offseason.

Proud for us getting this far, disappointed we didn't go further. Hoping we have something left to still go again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope - but if you use the report function, admin will be alerted

Not sure who sent you a PM but a known trouble maker is back making alias accounts and they do like to troll the Geelong board and members

I reported it twice.

Someone has since deleted everything.

With Holmes out we were always in trouble.

Stengle was oddly quiet/well held by whoever Brisbane put on him.

That Hipwood and Rayner kicked goals is diabolical.

Stengle had chances for a couple of goals from the top of the goal square and shanked both kicks

Devastated since you never know when an opportunity like this will come up again and this season really did have a last gasp type of feel to it.

On the contrary, this season felt like the emergence of the next great Geelong side. I’m hard pressed to name any over-30s who will finish top 10 in our B&F apart from Jez and Stewart both of whom have years left in them.

Grand Finals don't come around all the time despite this clubs recent success, this was a massive missed opportunity in Melbourne against the 5th placed team at a ground where they struggle.

This is a bottle job of the highest order.

Despite the media puff pieces, we desperately need midfield solutions, Smith alone won't be enough.

And we need to sort out the ruck. Can't rely on Stanley for the season and I don't think SDK will be a first ruck, especially with Blicavs getting on I imagine we see SDK in defence next season and Conway isn't reliable.

Get 2 mids and we win tonights game.

That has to be the offseason priority.

And some ****ing goalkicking practice, because we missed 4 early in the piece so losing by under 2 goals stings.

Bailey Smith will be a great get for you guys.

Incredible season.

Just want to prologue this post by saying - I am from England, living in Korea. Started watching AFL this year (realizing how friendly time difference was to Australia) and after some deliberation picked Geelong as my team a few months ago (just kept feeling pulled to Geelong as I watched week after week, and also one of the first teams I had heard of before the AFL was even the AFL). I have been surprised at how quickly I have fallen in love with both this sport and the Cats!

This all culminated in one of the most tense fan experiences I've had (as a football/soccer fan, I've had plenty) today. And very real pain in defeat with all the clumsy mishandling in those key moments and failure to mark over and over, and underperformance of guys who have generally seemed so reliable until now.

Regardless, I just wanted to share with you all that you have gained a passionate global Geelong fan here who now would love to visit for a game and I am passing this same love for the Cats with family members - my wife, son, daughter, and brother are all Cats fans now too though none of us have yet stepped foot in Geelong (or Australia)! Hope to do something about that soon :) and get some Cats winterwear for the cold Korean winter to come!

heh. "Lions" members with recent join dates in my inbox already :$

Reported, obviously, but don't respond to them if you get one in your inbox
Shit like this doesn’t even bother me. If the first thing on peoples minds is to troll a club after a prelim loss then there’s really not much to say…
It says so much about that person that there’s just no need to even care.

Huge credit to Brisbane, they were great.

Very disappointing loss, but we were in no way disgraced at the conclusion of a year in which we were given little chance of contending - but DID.

We can look back on tonight's game as a lost opportunity - and in many ways it was - but we were really close to a Grand Final in a year where I had next to zero expectations that we might contend.

The umpiring wasn't great - but Brisbane absolutely deserved their win.

They did but they will lose by 100 (and darcy fort will be a losing player in a GF i never thought Id say that) so theres not much consolation. We at least could have troubled sydney a bit whereas they have a walkover now.

As for the year its been a great year we have found players but we have some structural issues particularly in the middle. We have to trade a ruck in and scott needs to be tough and tell duncan bews and rohan (ollie henry ended his career tonight) that its no more. (Stanley will decide on his own). Unfortunately that was the last chance gone for guys like danger to win a flag.

It also shows how crucial holmes is and why we need to beef up our midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back