Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

I assume you are emotional like the rest of us. But you are normally a better poster than that.

It was probably the best game of the finals. Not just because it was close but the intensity and skills in the wet - wow. Brisbane have been building for a flag for 6 years now and will win it next week baring injury.

And we lost by a goal (Stanley would have kicked it without time pressure). So to say the entire team was shocking seems a little over the top? Unless of course the entire Brisbane team was also shocking bar maybe 1 or 2 that got them the extra shot at goal??

Two best teams in 2024 played off tonight IMO and we dissapointely couldn’t hold on.

nah brisbane will be cooked and their defence will hold up. Sydney will smash them. In fact id be surprised if bris are under $5 with the bookies. Will be as uncompetitive as 2022 was.

J. Henry seemed to be getting his foot checked in the last quarter - not ideal with his history

Stanley could barely stand after his shot on goal - looked like he couldn't put any pressure through the right knee/leg

I know there's been some talk of a few veterans going around again next year, but wonder if there'll be some tough discussions after tonight - watching Stanley at the end, I'm unsure if he would be able to back up next week let alone next year
I'm a Stanley fan, but he did not provide the amount of mongrel when Oscar did his shoulder the first time. If you want a slot on the GF, you're taking every opportunity to cannon into that arm. Give a feck about fair play or not.

Flat but not shattered. This team has been assembled from spare parts and duct tape, and three weeks ago we were widely picked to go out in straight sets. I think it is a credit to the coaches that we found a system that got us this far. That said, if Mannagh kicks that goal maybe Brisbane heads drop and we run away with it. (We also should have won on xG).

Not sure I agree with the idea that this feels like the end. With the exception of Danger (and that's a massive carve out) the guys who felt like they were running out of road were out of the side or already feeling like they're on the fringes. If we can get Smith in and find a midfielder or two in the draft, I'll be reasonably confident going into next year.

I feel like Stengle hasn’t been the same since the off field incident, hope he can get himself right again and gain that confidence back.
We are a different team with Homes out, left us struggling and with zero chance next week if we had of snuck past Brissy.
Great experience for the kids though, build up those finals scars and continue competing into the future.

Losing was always a possibility as Brisbane are a good side, but the way our footskills fell to pieces was a shock, idk where that came from or why it happened but for an area that is usually a strength of ours to cost us so badly in a Prelim is baffling
Two things struck me regarding that. Pressure of course, and fatigue. Our guys looked shot.

Maybe the collective mental toll on the young guys who have been great this year?

Hardly a choke, we werent expected to make the 8 let alone a prelim, season was a huge success and Brisbane are a bloody good side, they will give the Swans a fair old shake next week.

Its a choke in the sense that we had a week off against a non rested interstate team at a ground they really struggle at. We will never get a better chance to make a GF. So in that sense while i think we arent flag worthy its a massive choke.
And brisbane are no chance sydney will smash them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have been easily beaten next week. No Danger or Holmes.

Couple of immediate observations.

- Duncan had a terrible last 10 mins. As I’ve said all year, it’s passed him by. Run down close to goal (burnt Jezza without hand balling) and turned over the handball to Ashcroft for Lions last goal. Get him to 300 if they must but he’s a serious liability.

- Bruhn owes us a big pre season after tonight and MUST take the next step if we’re to hang on next season.

- Atkins should be nowhere near midfield unless he tags.

- Mullin will be a very good player. The pressured kick on his left foot late that set up the Henry goal was elite.

- Stanley deserves more credit. Stood up late in the year and was good. But needs a long break and is only ‘insurance’ next year.

Otherwise I think we’re ok. Get Bailey Smith and another mid and we lick our wounds and go again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Get duncan to 300 is the wrong mindset. He is finished and we need to be ruthless if he wont call it himself.

One thing I'm really confused with from tonight - what were we doing with Tom Stewart?

Since the Essendon match he's been a mainstay of our midfield rotation, almost the #1 centre bounce attendee for us, and positioning himself on the defensive side of the stoppage to limit easy goal side clearances

Tonight he attended 4 centre bounces and seemed to be back in his previous role as defensive sweeper

I'm actually not sure that role really worked tonight and there were times it seemed to cause confusion with others where they just didn't seem to have an understanding or be on the same page as each other

I'd be curious to know the thinking behind the move, but also why once Holmes & McInerney went down, he didn't shift back into the guts as we probably could have used him in there

1726914991840.png

Just imagine, we could have played in 8 grand finals under Chris Scott. What do people think of the 3 and 5 record in prelims?

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk
we have rolled some pretty ordinary sides into prelims in the past, including on the past 3 hours, so, pretty good actually

Welcome aboard! You've chosen an amazing sport to follow.
Thank you!

Feel I need to watch this grand final now once dust settles.

Do Geelong fans have any particular reason to support either Sydney or Brisbane?

At the moment I would lean to supporting the Lions as they seem to be more of an underdog and there is just something annoying about the Swans, maybe just because they were so dominant for much of the year!

MOD NOTE

Thread temporarily locked - I've got like 15/16 reports to deal with and can't have new posts happening at the same time

Reopening shortly
I’ve spammed cleaned it, just remove all the quote posts :)

nah brisbane will be cooked and their defence will hold up. Sydney will smash them. In fact id be surprised if bris are under $5 with the bookies. Will be as uncompetitive as 2022 was.
I get that logic - and maybe I am just hoping it is wrong.

I do believe they are a better team but maybe your points about going the hard way and no ruck will mean they fall over. But I really hope they can rally as it would be just reward IMO. I just don’t see Swans as the better team. But maybe they have the better circumstances. Time will tell

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back