Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

Take a bow 🙇🏼‍♂️ . At the game he doesn’t chase ever, doesn’t compete in an air at all. Goes to ground so he doesn’t have to compete. Zero tackles again. Every time they run it out it’s always off his guy because he’s just thinking if they just turn it over I’ll be “on” here.

As I said earlier he is like a supremely talented local football who kicks goals and does absolutely nothing else to help the team.

We had 60 inside 50s and outside of the mark in the last he didn’t halve or win one contest. The 3rd quarter when we were up against it he got out marked one on one what 4 straight entires?

Glad he got us back into it at the very end but he’s got plenty of work to do this off season. Or he could just sit back and say hey I kicked 4 in a prelim.
1726955284704.gif

Maybe, but we will never know now.

There is zero chance we would have won a GF with Holmes missing, let alone with J Henry, Stanley and Bruhn all injured last night as per reports.

Hmm it was 59-24 after paddy’s first goal of the third quarter… when they stepped it up we looked lost. Quite a few players didn’t do enough….
Sometimes you just have to admit you were not quite good enough on the day.

Watched the last few minutes when I arrived home and just after we got in front the lions got a hand to smother Atkins centre clearance, they go inside 50 and goal

Really is just a game of inches isn't it...
Yeah despite being outplayed, had that gone forward, a goal would have broken them, if not a goal we could have held it there a bit.

Games with margins under 2 goals always come down to a bit of luck.

Losing one's feet is a killer. It happened a couple of times tonight leading to Brisbane goals. You'd think maintaining your feet in a contest is something that could be taught and learned but some players never get it.

This.

It's something I've pointed out in repeated games......I even asked the who, how and why re: selection of our boots and studs.

Too many times in multiple games we kept falling over whilst our opponents remained sure footed.

Yeah spot on comments there.

I've posted photos elsewhere of where Cameron is standing (feet on the boundary line, facing the crowd) and he marks the ball in front of him. It literally cannot be in the field of play.

The other dumb one was Stewart legally contesting with one of their players in the air. Initially called "holding" then backpedalled into some weird "unnecessary contact" free?

Ah well, the AFL gets their result.

Yeah even the umpire sounded like he wasn't swallowing his own bullsh*t.
Soft.

Atkins 12
Bruhn 10
Bowes 13
Holmes 20 (inj)
Dangerfield 24

v

Neale 31
Dunkley 28
McCluggage 27
Ashcroft 22
Berry 20
Awful numbers I agree. But the midfield was ranked number 1 for the last 8 or so rounds.
Our midfield coach was a bigger loss than we think.

Guess the last 21 seasons, arguably Geelong's era, have been bookended by PF losses to Brisbane. I was at the one in '04, similar scoreline but different types of games.

Geelong really put in last night, and arguably at half time could have been a bit further ahead, although a couple of the goals we got in the 2nd were probably as lucky (or arsey) as our misses early in the first were. And when Danger got the early goal in the 3rd it was looking good.

But i do feel that inspiring run-down tackle by Danger only to be called a 'dangerous tackle' was a real momentum shifter, as were Oscar going off for the Lions, allowing the mobile Daniher to impact around the ground, and releasing the speedy Irishman McKenna to come on. And losing our best player on the night Holmes as well stymied our run, and the Lions just burnt us off the park to a degree. Their ability to do the 'levitation handball' that would come out any which way from a contest only to find a running Lion barreling towards the goals was frustrating, and makes the Danger's tackle call even more annoying because if we don't actually take the bloke to ground the opposition always find a way to get the ball free to a team-mate. Think back to Kolo tackling Curnow I think many weeks ago, we really can't seem to win when we tackle even if we do it well.

The other thing that the cold light of day has made me think about, in all honesty from 7-0 Geelong finished the year 9-9. 18 games is a large sample size, we really were at best a 'good' side, but one where we need our stars all firing. We cannot afford to lose a Holmes mid game, especially in Finals. The Lions have a dual Brownlow medalist, a gun young FS pick, pick one Cam Rayner, and of course electric Charlie Cameron and Kai Lohman. They have lots of talent, their recent record is extremely good, in Rd 13 they were 4-6-1, and they've lost just two games since? It's much better form that us, and we lost by 10 points with a few things going wrong.

We all know we need to beef up the midfield, we just don't have any depth there, and compared to some, blokes like Atkins and Bowes are workmanlike at best. We need some shiny new toys in and among the mids, hopefully Jye Clarke can come on in year three and establish himself into the mix, Bailey Smith if he is recruited could add some ball-getting power there, and whether a 32 y/o Cuthrie can recover from his last two seasons of injury to have a final fling. We may be farewelling some old faces, Hawkins and Touhy particularly, and perhaps Duncan and Rohan, maybe Bews too.

But the four flags I've seen since '07 and the ride all Cat fans of my Gen-X vintage have enjoyed since Gary Sr laced his boots for us in 1984, I think I'm a little more sanguine now about finals losses. '80 and '81 hurt big time as a young teen, and the GF losses in the '89-'95 period of course were just heartbreaking. But for me the cold reality is that this season we probably overachieved a little with a side of oldies and youngsters and managed to be ahead in a PF with three minutes left in the game having wrested back the lead from a side that was fit and firing. We did go 9-9 from our 7-0 start, and when it's all said and done, Premiers just never have a formline like that.

Last edited:
Waking up to what could have been. Not sure I can sit through a replay, a few things I noticed from the rooftop seats - Lions slicing through the middle of the ground, had so much more run in their legs; no one leading up when we were streaming back to goal and then balls falling short; if we are to at least be in the same position next year we must roll the dice on Clark, Knevitt, Clohesy with the addition of Smith. Hindsight would have had Tuohy as Sub ahead of Duncan, even with the edge off the game he looked a mile behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just walking back from the game. Not sure what it looked like on the telly but the Bowes holding the ball in the 3rd quarter when he tried to take on the tackler (when he didn’t really need to) seemed like a massive momentum swinger. We lost a few contests like that when we seemed to have numbers. A bit of bounce of the ball stuff too. Lost our heads for a period of time there, whinging to the umpire for the Guthrie arm chop. Lost our composure and they put a few goals on the board. Some terrible shallow entries from a variety of players straight to Brisbane on the 3rd quarter, allowed them to slice us up through the middle. Gryan had one turnover that was equally as bad as his soccer cross was good.

Some poor moments from Stengle & Cameron up forward, left a few goals on the table that would have been very handy. Plus both turning over the ball at times with poor options or fumbles. Stengle trying to hit Danger was pretty deflating. Mannagh with the grubber too earlier in the game.

Don’t want to second guess the Neale Hawkins decision as it seemed the right one, but Shannon has to be stronger in the contest. Ended up on the ground at so many contests, and I’m wondering just how ‘good’ his hands are. Looked like a very grabbable one in the last that he dropped and fell over again.

In the positive, have to admire us to keep coming in the last when I thought we were done. And huge game from Lawson Humphries, what he might have lost in some other contests he made up for by giving us run and clean ball use while others were turning it over left right and centre. What a find. Blitz was huge at times. Ollie Henry a bit of the full package, missed the sitter, couldn’t stop a couple of intercepts but kept kicking goals and giving us a chance.

Ah well. Love this club.
This sums it up for me.

The outside game was largely offsetting losing in the middle until the 4 or 5 turnovers from horrible shallow entries and ‘casual’, almost petulant grubbing shots at goal by a number of players in third quarter. Half of those opportunities come off and we would have been 2-3 goals up.

Having said that, think you can’t win a premiership with an outside game only (and the Lions mids, as good as they were, are notches down on the quality and form of the Swan mids). Not too disappointed- think Cats have outperformed considering the list shortcomings, the age of some key players and inexperience of others. Some incredible pick ups, such as Humphries, Dempsey, Mannagh has given great enjoyment and lots to be positive about. And the Geelong footy brand is damned good watching when they are on.

Go Cats!!!!!!

It's a bit of a hollow feeling this morning to know that the Cats weren't good enough to make it to the GF. But I'm so proud of the club for what they've done this season. No one gave us a hope in hell of making it this far but the Catters defied all their negative expectations. Chris Scott and co. have been masterful in taking our current list so deep into the finals. But I kind of feel that even if we had won last night, we wouldn't beat Sydney in the GF. But we'll never know now.

It's been great sharing the footy season with you all again this year. We have such a good board, and thanks to the Mods for keeping it that way. Take care of yourselves.

Now we brace ourselves for the silly season, and by that, I mean the trade period.

Last edited:
Waking up to what could have been. Not sure I can sit through a replay, a few things I noticed from the rooftop seats - Lions slicing through the middle of the ground, had so much more run in their legs; no one leading up when we were streaming back to goal and then balls falling short; if we are to at least be in the same position next year we must roll the dice on Clark, Knevitt, Clohesy with the addition of Smith. Hindsight would have had Tuohy as Sub ahead of Duncan, even with the edge off the game he looked a mile behind.
Good observations.

Especially about losing run. My mind went back to close MCG games of yesteryear and seeing the likes of Selwood and Bartel, no the quickest players, streaming forward with plenty of run in the legs.

I watched the highlights before. That was painful enough.

Does losing your feet count as a clanger in the stats?

It's close to the worst thing you can do in footy, and we did it too often. Wish there were more day finals.
Fumbles, slipping over and not being able to kick on non preferred are my top 3 most frustrating basic things that really shouldn’t be an issue for professional AFL players but they are.

He was banged up in the second quarter with a sore groin. Hard to comment without knowing the facts.
Next year for himself is HUGE! If he wants to start becoming a good midfielder for the club... Has played 66 games of AFL.. 2025 is going to find out what Bruhn is actually made of

Ah Chee got off the chain in the 2nd half and in the first half he definitely overshot the contest leading to a few free men running inside 50. Gave away a free kicks too.
That infamous Harris Andrews knee to Stewarts back I believe had the desired result.

Out of interest when was the last time we had a come from behind finals win?
Feels like we have been on the receiving end a lot during our 2 decades success.
Tonight up by 25 in the 3rd
Up by 21 late in the 2nd qtr the 22 GF Richmond
Up by 21 at half time in the 2019 Prelim Richmond
Up by 20 at 3/4 time in the 2013 prelim Hawthorn
There are prob more I'm missing too

I remember us getting really close to stealing that final against North with a late come back but fell short

Not GWS level but still stings when we have found ourselves in such strong positions and go on to lose
We were 20 points or so down against Collingwood in 2022. Pretty sure they kicked the first three and missed a few others, looked all over us in the first quarter.

That mcbaggage free kick against danger was a bit of a turning point. He didn’t try to protect himself with both arms free and then played up hitting his head. The players are so desperate to get a free (hello Hokthorn), they’ll risk their head bouncing off the ground. I don’t think his head even touched the ground in this case.

That said next year we need to have Stewart as a full time mid.
I personally hate the idea of him playing full time Midfield.
Tom Stewart is a 5 x All Australian, playing in defence.
His also arguably up there with Corey Enright as 1 of the best Back Flankers to play the game.
In 2022 when we won the flag, we wouldn't of thought of the idea of him playing Midfield and the reason we are thinking of Stewart playing Midfield is because we don't have many good Midfielders to play that. All in honestly our midfield would be in the bottom 6 in the league.
So to fix Stewart playing in the midfield is to recruit players like Bailey Smith and a " Mystery Mid " and bring in the kids like Jhye Clark and Ted Clohesy etc.
I don't mind him going in there for a center bounce to give players a rest.
But Stewart is an elite defender.. and I mean elite.. ( this year was his worst this year due to him playing midfield)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back