Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

I just put 'Brisbane lions 2020 choked' into google. The seventh result was this thread - your post specifically - and nothing before then substantiated this. Weird if everyone was saying it!

Well people weren't necessarily using the exact phrasing I used. :rolleyes:

Look, it was a common talking point across most of the footy shows after prelim week that year, but sure, if you want to pretend criticism of Brisbane for failing to take advantage of their home advantage during that Covid year never happened, then you do you. Rewrite history if you want.

Literally everyone's reaction to that 2020 Prelim was to say that they Brisbane choked. The whole AFL media was saying it. I only narrowed it down to Cats fans on BigFooty to illustrate the double standard.

Again, I don't think it's a particularly controversial opinion to suggest that dropping a home prelim against an interstate side is an underperformance.
Were you nervous pregame?
Did you fear that the team we were up against could do what they did?
Did you think that the lack of pressure we faced in the last 4 weeks could affect us?
Did you think that we are overly reliant on Holmes as our only real A grade mid?
All year we have been up and down, and games v Tigers and Saints and Blues were indicators of the issues that would cost us in a cut-throat prelim final. We simply do not have the personnel who can consistently perform against pressure. Dropped marks, errant kicks, rushed forward entries- have seen it all year. We were smashed in the MF and were pretty close at the end, and that 7 goal second quarter was impressive.
Losing Holmes was costly- he, JC, and Danger being our irreplaceables.

Did you think that the lack of pressure we faced in the last 4 weeks could affect us?
Did you think that we are overly reliant on Holmes as our only real A grade mid?
All year we have been up and down, and games v Tigers and Saints and Blues were indicators of the issues that would cost us in a cut-throat prelim final. We simply do not have the personnel who can consistently perform against pressure. Dropped marks, errant kicks, rushed forward entries- have seen it all year. We were smashed in the MF and were pretty close at the end, and that 7 goal second quarter was impressive.
And lots of fumbling!

I see Hinkley finished 3rd (He's a failure apparently)
Scott finished 4th .......
I see it as Port and Geelong. It is not Hinkley and Scott. They are spokespersons for their teams. Part of a management team. Anyone who knows how an organisation works, the info that is fed to the coach intramatch,, and in the breaks- Scott was clearly going to be adversely affected by the loss of King.

They exceeded my pre-season expectations. I think I tipped us to miss finals altogether, from memory. So from that perspective our year was a huge success. And no I didn't think we were a perfect side.

I guess I'm just frustrated at the sense of acceptance around yet another prelim loss, even if I agree that we weren't clearly the better side going into the game, and even if I agree that the fact that we managed to make a prelim this year when we should be rebuilding was insanely impressive. I just think a loss in this game should be considered an underperformance given the position we had put ourselves in. That's literally my only point.

Our lesser mids have been up and down .
Axe,tanner,Bowes all had bad games on the same night.
Holmes and danger the other two.
Then we lose Holmes.

Neale and stegs bad ish night but vs very good oppo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Geelong players assumed Neale would make the distance but should still have covered the line. Really disappointing from Neale and others. Neale did not handle the prelim pressure - was like fish out of water. The supporters I was watching with all agreed that Hawkins comes in for the GF if we get through.
The supporters you were sitting with are wrong. Hawkins is/was done. Kicked one goal in a vfl game. A vfl game! Could not contest at all anymore.

Plus i thought neale was quite solid. Was playing on the best full back in the game. Took some marks on the half foward line. Was very unlucky to not be given some big pack marks/frees 15 metres out from goal.

I see it as Port and Geelong. It is not Hinkley and Scott. They are spokespersons for their teams. Part of a management team. Anyone who knows how an organisation works, the info that is fed to the coach intramatch,, and in the breaks- Scott was clearly going to be adversely affected by the loss of King.
Come on Vdubs. I was taking a jab at PO who said Hinkley has failed.
I personally think that if you finish H&A in second and make a prelim there's no way you've failed.

Theres only one winner. We know that.
The only coach that failed this year was Longmuir.

Look, it was a common talking point across most of the footy shows after prelim week that year, but sure, if you want to pretend criticism of Brisbane for failing to take advantage of their home advantage during that Covid year never happened, then you do you. Rewrite history if you want.
We smashed them, and they were poor.
Yesterday, we were in a winning position minutes to go, and could not stop them getting those 2 goals. HGA is hardly relevant- when did we last play there?

Awful decision to make him sub after a good game against Port. Sending him in when we are being overrun is a terrible ploy.

We got little from Mullin or Bews defensively all night. Their smalls destroyed us. 14 goals/goal assists combined, compared to 4 for our small forwards.

Pathetic for you to fish for a reaction in a trolling way, is my overall
Wasn’t a conscious troll but now you mention it the MC saw more upside in Mullin over Duncan. But I don’t take the barbs personally. If he couldn’t impact with the sting out of the game not sure starting was a viable option. In hindsight Tuohy or Clohesy would’ve been a better choice. Great servant but not sure he brings much to the table in 2025.

There is a huge gap between 'choked', which means a team has failed due to psychological weakness, and 'failing to take advantage of their home advantage'.

The supporters you were sitting with are wrong. Hawkins is/was done. Kicked one goal in a vfl game. A vfl game! Could not contest at all anymore.

Plus i thought neale was quite solid. Was playing on the best full back in the game. Took some marks on the half foward line. Was very unlucky to not be given some big pack marks/frees 15 metres out from goal.
Neale almost held on to a few marks .....was very close to cluking them.
Have already said I think he got a few arm chops.

In the last ...

They exceeded my pre-season expectations. I think I tipped us to miss finals altogether, from memory. So from that perspective our year was a huge success. And no I didn't think we were a perfect side.

I guess I'm just frustrated at the sense of acceptance around yet another prelim loss, even if I agree that we weren't clearly the better side going into the game, and even if I agree that the fact that we managed to make a prelim this year when we should be rebuilding was insanely impressive. I just think a loss in this game should be considered an underperformance given the position we had put ourselves in. That's literally my only point.
But as Fagan said, and not Geelong’s fault, but the lack of pressure v WCE and Port with a week off after each game was always going to be a factor, and it was. Those first 4 behinds- pressure. We were great to get a home prelim, but it was not going to be enough against a team that has the talent to be a #1-2 team.

If we had Hawkins, Guthrie, SDK, Touhy, Rohan we would’ve won….. we are the best team in it and it’s our dynasty going forward!
The other teams are never good enough to beat our Geelong. Never!
That's literally the opposite of what Mad_Hatter was saying, You're calling out yourself.

It's only those like you who expect to win the flag every year, and then scream of "complacency" & "arrogance" when it doesn't happen.

It couldn't possibly be that we were beaten by a better side on the day. It's all up to us, our coaches, and our players. That's what you say, right?

Most rational people here are well aware that we have shortcomings, and they're proud - albeit disappointed - at the result.

You on the other hand have already decided that it's a failure, that it's the coaches fault, and that certain players are spuds.

It's incredible that you can find so much wrong with this club, it's coach, and his players...and then still decide that they have to win the flag or it's a failure.

It takes an extraordinary amount of hubris to not understand that you're calling out the exact thing that you do.

Honestly, I'm impressed.

Why do you say we will be lower next year? I think we will be better next year if we dont strike an injury curse.
Much tougher draw. Lots of good teams will be there and about- Saints, Freo, GC, GWS, Hawks, Swans, Port, Blues, Pies, Lions. WE WILL NOT START 7-0 TO GIVE US THAT BUFFER ALL SEASON.

What are all of these injuries?

I only know about Holmes obviously.

Not sure if this has been answered:

• Bruhn, hip/groin issue apparently from the second quarter
  • J. Henry, he went to the bench in the fourth and took his boot off to get something looked at. I've seen it reported as a toe issue
  • Holmes, hamstring
  • Stanley, knee and following his shot on goal with 30 seconds to go, he couldn't put any pressure through the leg/knee that he had heavily strapped. He looked in agony

And not sure how true it is as I've only read it from one place, but someone suggested Dangerfield may have hurt ribs

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back