Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

Hard to know if Hawkins would of done well.
I mean weeks ago we were lauding Neale's mobility as it was helping Cameron to score goals. It's amazing how many people are giving guys a pass from inexperience like Mullins but are shredding Neale and Dempsey who were in their first PF. Should they have done better? Yes. But they are young and will be better for it. This was a bad match for them at the end of a run of games where they both showed a lot this season.

But I feel the best option would have been Hawkins instead of Neale especially since Hawkins showed a lot in his VFL game back. He would be good for at least a goal and assist at minimum and then if you have a mobile player you sub Hawkins if he struggled at 3/4 time.

The flip side is we got valuable experience in finals into Bruhn, Neale and Dempsey who will be long time fixtures in this team.

In the best scenario we have Rohan who's accurate goal kicking often steadied the ship in the past. You feel if we have him in the first quarter when we were on top he scores one of two.

Sadly injuries to important people, losing King to visit the WCE and then him collapsing, some weird selections and match day strategy and then horrendous officiating and players making some very dumb and selfish decisions or having horrendous matches have absolutely cost us.

Flag race was wide open this year, just like 2013, just like 2019, and we have absolutely bottled a golden opportunity.
Hope this doesn't come back to bite us. Hopefully the club sunsets a few players off the list and we aggressively target some midfielders, a lock down small defender and a ruck.

And I thought Mullin's best two career games were the two finals.
Maybe a pass on JHF who was still one of Port's best, but people keep saying he was on Neale last night and if that's the case Neale was one of the reasons Brisbane won and he was in the best 4 or 5 players on the field.
Bar is low because Mullin lacks footy sense and is there on an athletic level to tag, but Neale influence was massive and if it was Atkins who put up that performance on Neale everyone would want him delisted.

I mean weeks ago we were lauding Neale's mobility as it was helping Cameron to score goals. It's amazing how many people are giving guys a pass from inexperience like Mullins but are shredding Neale and Dempsey who were in their first PF. Should they have done better? Yes. But they are young and will be better for it. This was a bad match for them at the end of a run of games where they both showed a lot this season.

But I feel the best option would have been Hawkins instead of Neale especially since Hawkins showed a lot in his VFL game back. He would be good for at least a goal and assist at minimum and then if you have a mobile player you sub Hawkins if he struggled at 3/4 time.

The flip side is we got valuable experience in finals into Bruhn, Neale and Dempsey who will be long time fixtures in this team.

In the best scenario we have Rohan who's accurate goal kicking often steadied the ship in the past. You feel if we have him in the first quarter when we were on top he scores one of two.

Sadly injuries to important people, losing King to visit the WCE and then him collapsing, some weird selections and match day strategy and then horrendous officiating and players making some very dumb and selfish decisions or having horrendous matches have absolutely cost us.

Flag race was wide open this year, just like 2013, just like 2019, and we have absolutely bottled a golden opportunity.
Hope this doesn't come back to bite us. Hopefully the club sunsets a few players off the list and we aggressively target some midfielders, a lock down small defender and a ruck.

I guess on the flip side .
Scott choose Hawkins over moons for the 2011 GF.

If Neale was poor vs port they might of made the move.

So if the prevailing (and I think correct) view is that we over achieved this year, where now is the bar for next year?

With our list (including the changes both in and out), it's hard to know what the pass mark is for 2025.

So when did Max injure the hamstring. He looked fine up until half time then on the bench for most of Q3.

Can’t be right after half time as pretty early in the 3rd Max intercepted a ball from Zorko’s kick to drill it to Danger in the square not long after half time.

Believe it was an air swing he did in the midfield shortly after that did it.

Last edited:
So if the prevailing (and I think correct) view is that we over achieved this year, where now is the bar for next year?

With our list (including the changes both in and out), it's hard to know what the pass mark is for 2025.

I said 7th going into this year and we finished top 4.
I also predicted a Swans and Lions GF so there’s that…picture attached for proof when I did it back in February.
Got Crows and Pies wrong but got 6/8 Finalists right and both Carlton slipping in and Freo falling just short.
Also had Dees drop off right but Dogs drop off didn’t happen.

No one knew Hawks would skyrocket.
Basically needed to swap Crows with Hawks

IMG_0506.jpeg

2025 with a harder schedule reckon we might actually finish 7-10th spot (but what do I know lol)
Gonna lose a lot of experience and have some growing pains but it’ll be worth it.

Maybe a pass on JHF who was still one of Port's best, but people keep saying he was on Neale last night and if that's the case Neale was one of the reasons Brisbane won and he was in the best 4 or 5 players on the field.
Bar is low because Mullin lacks footy sense and is there on an athletic level to tag, but Neale influence was massive and if it was Atkins who put up that performance on Neale everyone would want him delisted.

Axe was on Neale early.
But with flags in my face like at a Glastonbury concert I couldn't see everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think so??

Can't specifically remember, though I clearly remember the moment.

His left leg was braced as he swung the right to kick the ball, and just before, or as he made contact, his left foot slipped forward.
Yep I remember it just can’t think when it was. Poor max- would have been too cruel to make the gf and he missed out so it’s good karma in a way.

Anything can happen. Addition of smith could help, added experience to our young players, bit more fire in the belly.

On the flip side we did well on an injury front this year but it could be like 2023. Other sides likely to improve also.

Anything is possible, the opportunity this year was huge and I’m gutted it’s over.

And I thought Mullin's best two career games were the two finals.
He arguably shouldn't be playing, but he did nothing but work hard and try to win his position. He did some nice little things too here and there. He might surprise a few next year with a post season of feedback, reflection and more focused training.

He is good 1 on 1 especially.

If I was being picky I'd say start a little earlier
4.45 or 5

But I can't see a future where this isn't the GF time slot

Felt a bit strange going to the footy at that time.
But getting home at a decent hour was surprising pretty good.

My brother came home from overseas and is watching it currently.. doesn’t know the score and said to me “don’t tell me the score!! I haven’t seen or heard anything!” With an excited look and it was half time…

Maybe I need to pre prepare the scotch and tissues??
You must have a hell of a poker face

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back