Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

1989 GF - As I've posted before, the mythology around the Hawthorn 'bravery' makes me sick. In reality, we were even more wounded.
I wouldn't say "even more", but the reality is that in 89, we went out to deliberately hurt the Hawks and succeeded. Yeates on Brereton, Buddha whacking Platten, and Ablett smashing through Dipper were all hugely crude acts that occurred very early on in the game... especially the second hit from Yeates, with the knee.

The Brereton/Yeates hit does need to be understood in the context of Brereton taking out half of Essendon in the semi-final, but it was brutal.

I wouldn't say "even more", but the reality is that in 89, we went out to deliberately hurt the Hawks and succeeded. Yeates on Brereton, Buddha whacking Platten, and Ablett smashing through Dipper were all hugely crude acts that occurred very early on in the game... especially the second hit from Yeates, with the knee.

The Brereton/Yeates hit does need to be understood in the context of Brereton taking out half of Essendon in the semi-final, but it was brutal.
The Brereton/Yeates hit needs to be put in the context of Brereton taking Yeates out 10m off the ball at a boundary throw in on the city side wing at Princes Park early in the year. The hit in the GF was the square up.

AND Brereton having taken out Yeates in the preceding h & a game

100% Correct.

The aging stars today are further past their used by date then the Geelong Immortals on the 2000's
Yep. Kelly and SJ had were playing much better in their last years at the Cats than Duncan is now.

Not only that, they both had absolutely ripper seasons the year after at GWS and Essendon.

No way Duncan would have been allowed to play on if he was around back then.

Yep. Kelly and SJ had were playing much better in their last years at the Cats than Duncan is now.

Not only that, they both had absolutely ripper seasons the year after at GWS and Essendon.

No way Duncan would have been allowed to play on if he was around back then.
Interesting - I guess Scott had to make his mark early on, or the other way of looking at it, he has invested more in these guys than Chappy, Johnson, Kelly.

If Duncan does retire this year, it will mark the end of any player from the Mark Thompson era playing footy.

Brownlow votes:
Neale 22
McCluggage 12
Zorko 12
Dunkley 11
Team total 82

V
Stewart 12
Holmes 10
Bruhn 7
Bowes 4
Danger 3
Atkins 1
Team total 68

Clearly a class above all year but optimism for us with Holmes, Bruhn.

Our team total was same as pies, dons, suns, dees, saints who all missed finals.

BTW Sydney team total 103! Others above 80 were blues, freo, gws, hawks, port and dogs who made finals.

We should be pretty proud making the prelim.

We won the flag 2 years ago with the oldest list, and 2 years later have a very different team and within 2 kicks of another GF. Super proud is an understatement.

Please tell..

Nah, nothing controversial or anything but the ball was going out of bounds on the wing and Ablett was running for it and Brereton eyed him up and came running in full burst from the opposite direction and being the bulls they both were, lined up each other and it was Brereton who came off second best with a decent hip and shoulder. Brereton being the tough bastard that he is, got straight back up but was enraged for the rest of the day.
Had an opportunity to do some damage at a ruck stoppage and took out Mark Yeates kneeing him right in the groin. Cowardly act to say the least but that was 80's footy.

The Brereton/Yeates hit needs to be put in the context of Brereton taking Yeates out 10m off the ball at a boundary throw in on the city side wing at Princes Park early in the year. The hit in the GF was the square up.
Yes, but I'd suggest that if it weren't for Brereton knocking out two Essendon blokes and having a crack at a third in the previous game when Essendon started to go ok, the choice to run through him wouldn't have been made. I can't say the say for the events in the 171-163 1989 H&A match.

Yes, but I'd suggest that if it weren't for Brereton knocking out two Essendon blokes in the previous game when Essendon started to go ok, the choice to run through him wouldn't have been made. I can't say the say for the events in the 171-163 1989 H&A match.
Yep as a kid I remember some discussion during the week as to whether Dermie would try to iron out Couch or Bairstow or both.

Pre emptive strike

Not only that, they both had absolutely ripper seasons the year after at GWS and Essendon
Yes, that's true.

SJ's 2015 at Geelong was a weird season. He pulled out some really good games, but there was that feeling throughout that he was struggling to adapt to the transition from being a star, to being part of the support act. He did struggle in the first half of the year at times, and admits now that his relationship with Scotty suffered, as we were clearly playing the kids for the future.

I remember him running into the open goal when we were four goals down against StKilda, showing the opponent the footy... only to get mown down in the square. We drew that game. I thought then, that he was gone.

I actually think that he needed the change as much as Geelong did, if not more. SJ has always needed someone or something to keep the edge sharp - when he gets comfortable, that's trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% Correct.

The aging stars today are further past their used by date then the Geelong Immortals on the 2000's
IMO, those ageing players would have been pensioned off a year or two earlier if we had a younger list profile.

Trying not to lose six senior players in one hit seems to be the modus operandi here.

From the GFC website...

"Premiership players Brandan Parfitt and Gary Rohan have pulled on the Hoops for the final time, with the Club farewelling the 2022 Premiership players and five others.

Alongside Parfitt and Rohan, Phoenix Foster, Oscar Murdoch, James Willis, Mitch Hardie and Emerson Jeka won’t be offered contracts for 2025."

Not really surprised by any of those. Rohan had a good career, Parfitt had his moments.

Hardie was the best of the last 5 but we knew his number was up. Jeka showed something.

I'm not an employment lawyer but Rohan might have a compensation case given his head injury and the impact that might perceivably have on him getting another job in this field of work. 😗

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back