List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Please people, don't believe the hype. It wont be a million $$. This is how it works.

- Hagdorn gets wind that Pav is going to go on one more year.

- Hagdorn asks some random guy who knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who had a seat behind the interchange bench on Saturday night.

- Said person reveals that Pav is worth a millions bucks.

- Hagdorn writes that Pav is being offered $1mil for one year.

i.e. he doesn't have a clue. Pav will be offered good coin, don't worry about that, but it wont be a $1mil, it wont be close IMHO.

That's no longer the rule, it's now a set percentage of the TPP, about $130next year. Also even if half was outside the cap that still means a decent amount inside the cap.
Is a contract extension the same as a new contract? The rule didn't apply to active contracts when it came in.

I imagine that Bondy is loading up contracts both at the front and including clauses about performance and all that sort of thing.

If Sandi's contract is till 2017 I would not think that it is unreasonable to front load a year to the tune of a million and pay 500k for each additional season played. In this way, seasons where you are more certain of a players performance get rewarded and if they go down with injury or retire you are not out by a lot. It also means that you use up all of this year's cap and give yourself room to move for next year.

In Pav's case I would think that any contract he signs will be year to year from now on. So limited front loading. I also imagine that a single year for a million is most likely the best contract signed in the AFL, ever, from a player point of view. Mostly because it is almost impossible to use benchmarks and failure to perform clauses. I doubt that he would get 1m for a single year.

So where does that leave us with regards to contracts. I suspect that all the contract extensions signed last year and before the start fo the season were used to front load as much as possible. This is good planning because you can use it to spend as much of the 2014 cap as possible and get everyone on to less money for 2015 so freeing cap space. There was a graph that came out a few years ago saying that we were in the top 3-5 spending teams. We were only marginally below the cap. Well played Bondy. :thumbsu:

All this means that given all the contract extensions signed i would expect us to have cleared more than enough cap space to keep both Mundy and Fyfe on at least 800k per season. Perhaps we will use a bunch of our cap space keeping them and that it will not give us a big war budget for the annual lets sign X "who is like the best forward eevvvaaarrr". But lets be honest with the youth in the wings (Apeness and Tabs) and the mature units (Keps and Gumby) we are in nowhere near the desperate stakes we were two years ago. So if we don't get a forward for mine its a big "meh".

Do we need to sign a big name back. Silvagni has been serviceable and both Dawson and MJ have years left. McPharlin could sign for another year or two you would think on currant form but even if he is out people (not me I have seen them play for Peel and go with RTB and think that they haven't proven anything yet) think that both A Pearce and Smith will be good for us. In any case our structure calls for two KPD's and a sweeper. As Mzungu proved the sweeper doesn't have to be a tall player and plenty rate Ibbo in that role. So if we don't get a KPD once again its a "meh" kind of vote.

Rather keep Fyfe and Mundy than play FA.;)

I imagine that Bondy is loading up contracts both at the front and including clauses about performance and all that sort of thing.

If Sandi's contract is till 2017 I would not think that it is unreasonable to front load a year to the tune of a million and pay 500k for each additional season played. In this way, seasons where you are more certain of a players performance get rewarded and if they go down with injury or retire you are not out by a lot. It also means that you use up all of this year's cap and give yourself room to move for next year.

In Pav's case I would think that any contract he signs will be year to year from now on. So limited front loading. I also imagine that a single year for a million is most likely the best contract signed in the AFL, ever, from a player point of view. Mostly because it is almost impossible to use benchmarks and failure to perform clauses. I doubt that he would get 1m for a single year.

So where does that leave us with regards to contracts. I suspect that all the contract extensions signed last year and before the start fo the season were used to front load as much as possible. This is good planning because you can use it to spend as much of the 2014 cap as possible and get everyone on to less money for 2015 so freeing cap space. There was a graph that came out a few years ago saying that we were in the top 3-5 spending teams. We were only marginally below the cap. Well played Bondy. :thumbsu:

All this means that given all the contract extensions signed i would expect us to have cleared more than enough cap space to keep both Mundy and Fyfe on at least 800k per season. Perhaps we will use a bunch of our cap space keeping them and that it will not give us a big war budget for the annual lets sign X "who is like the best forward eevvvaaarrr". But lets be honest with the youth in the wings (Apeness and Tabs) and the mature units (Keps and Gumby) we are in nowhere near the desperate stakes we were two years ago. So if we don't get a forward for mine its a big "meh".

Do we need to sign a big name back. Silvagni has been serviceable and both Dawson and MJ have years left. McPharlin could sign for another year or two you would think on currant form but even if he is out people (not me I have seen them play for Peel and go with RTB and think that they haven't proven anything yet) think that both A Pearce and Smith will be good for us. In any case our structure calls for two KPD's and a sweeper. As Mzungu proved the sweeper doesn't have to be a tall player and plenty rate Ibbo in that role. So if we don't get a KPD once again its a "meh" kind of vote.

Rather keep Fyfe and Mundy than play FA.;)
I kind of agree with this. I seem to think that we are probably in more need of a KPD than a KPF now. In the forward line we have Gumby, Taberner, Keps and Apeness. Where as for backs we have Dawson, Mcpharlin, Silvagni and Smith. We also have Alex Pearce but he would appear to be a long way off body size wise and Mcpharlins body unfortunately seems to be starting to cause him a few issues and Silvagni is not the quality KPD that we need.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-open-to-leaving-dockers-20140519-zrhja.html

The Dockers have offered the elite midfielder a lucrative deal but Dover suggested it did not meet expectations. He would not divulge contract details but it’s clear the Dockers have work to do to retain their reigning best and fairest winner.

‘‘It wasn’t unreasonable but it wasn’t where I saw him,’’ Dover said of Fremantle's offer on Monday. ‘‘They would like to have done something six or 12 months ago ... right now he is confident of playing well under the pump and with a sense of urgency.

That headline appears to be based solely on his manager saying "You never say never."

Of course you don't, otherwise you weaken your bargaining power.

I hope Fyfe doesn't hold out for too much money though. He's worth every penny but we've got a lot of good players we need to keep together if he wants a premiership.

Last edited:
That headline appears to be based solely on his manager saying "You never, say never."

Of course you don't, otherwise you weaken your bargaining power.

I hope Fyfe doesn't hold out for too much money though. He's worth every penny but we've got a lot of good players we need to keep together if he wants a premiership.

Agree, Pav, Sandi, Fyfe and Mundy all need to set the example and sign for less than they could get else where so we can get a flag.

If those players sign for less, the rest will follow.

Agree, Pav, Sandi, Fyfe and Mundy all need to set the example and sign for less than they could get else where so we can get a flag.

If those players sign for less, the rest will follow.

It's probably genuinely the first time that the club has been in this sort of situation. It's a both a blessing and curse of course, but it is also going to be a key moment in the management of our club. If some of these guys don't accept the fact that they will, almost necessarily, receive less by staying here, then we will lose one of these guns earlier than we'd like. On the other hand, if they show the class we want them to and take the lesser pay - then it could set this club up for success for the next 5+ years.

On Fyfe, I really reckon it's going to take some sort of ridiculous offer for him to move - I mean really massive like GAJ or Franklin type, otherwise he will sign with Freo. The manager will do what he sees as his job and screw the club for as much money as he can, but in the end of the day, the decision is with Fyfe and unless he's offered something bordering on impossible amounts of money - then he'll stay.

Must admit I'll breathe a little easier if/when Fyfe signs. You can sort of understand his manager playing the media game a little but really you don't frig around with someone like Fyfe, just get it done.

Must admit I'll breathe a little easier if/when Fyfe signs. You can sort of understand his manager playing the media game a little but really you don't frig around with someone like Fyfe, just get it done.

You kidding. Some of these guys are slime.* Fyfe is going to be any managers ticket to the happiest retirement you could want ($$$$$). He'll milk it for all he's worth while trying to look after his client's wider interests too I'm sure.

In the end of the day, player agents are like real estate agents - yeah they are all "best interests of all concerned, try to match up the right people with the right deal" yada yada, but when push comes to shove they work for the home owner, that's who they want to look after.

The manager's interest is to serve the player first, themselves a very close second and the buyer (the club) last - if 'friging around' serves the manager's or player's interest, they they don't give much of a damn what the club or their fans think about it.

*Edit: Bit harsh, most probably aren't - just going on a few dealings I had with some in the late '90s, probably a lot more professional these days.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You kidding. Some of these guys are slime. Fyfe is going to be any managers ticket to the happiest retirement you could want ($$$$$). He'll milk it for all he's worth while trying to look after his client's wider interests too I'm sure.

In the end of the day, player agents are like real estate agents - yeah they are all "best interests of all concerned, try to match up the right people with the right deal" yada yada, but when push comes to shove they work for the home owner, that's who they want to look after.

The manager's interest is to serve the player first, themselves a very close second and the buyer (the club) last - if 'friging around' serves the manager's or player's interest, they they don't give much of a damn what the club or their fans think about it.

Very well put for the most part.

Anyone looking for a bit of evidence just needs to track down some of Liam Pickerings interviews last year about the buddy deal.

You kidding. Some of these guys are slime. Fyfe is going to be any managers ticket to the happiest retirement you could want ($$$$$). He'll milk it for all he's worth while trying to look after his client's wider interests too I'm sure.

I sort of meant the club shouldn't frig around. Just give the man what he wants.
Interesting to read he won his 2nd All Australian last year
I did wonder . .

Feels the same as it did with Travis Cloke a few years ago. Hope we don't lose Mundy because of it.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-open-to-leaving-dockers-20140519-zrhja.html

The Dockers have offered the elite midfielder a lucrative deal but Dover suggested it did not meet expectations. He would not divulge contract details but it’s clear the Dockers have work to do to retain their reigning best and fairest winner.

‘‘It wasn’t unreasonable but it wasn’t where I saw him,’’ Dover said of Fremantle's offer on Monday. ‘‘They would like to have done something six or 12 months ago ... right now he is confident of playing well under the pump and with a sense of urgency.

Take it with a grain of salt but with familial links to Fyfe's folks I've been told he isn't going anywhere.

I can only presume the management's comments is just upping the contract some.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back