List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

The club will be working with Mundy first and Fyfe second due to the more realistic chance of Mundy returning home to Victoria.
I haven't seen a top line player in their prime from WA go to Victoria for more cash, it really doesn't happen, but I have seen top line players in their prime return home to Victoria from WA and SA. The club will be far more concerned about Mundy leaving than Fyfe and I for one hope they make sure that Mundy stays.
If he leaves we have zero chance of getting to the big dance next year.
In my opinion at the moment Mundy is more important to our team than Fyfe. With Fyfe becoming more important in the future.
Get Mundy then look at Fyfe.

The club will be working with Mundy first and Fyfe second due to the more realistic chance of Mundy returning home to Victoria.
I haven't seen a top line player in their prime from WA go to Victoria for more cash, it really doesn't happen, but I have seen top line players in their prime return home to Victoria from WA and SA. The club will be far more concerned about Mundy leaving than Fyfe and I for one hope they make sure that Mundy stays.
In my opinion at the moment Mundy is more important to our team than Fyfe. With Fyfe becoming more important in the future.

I think you're right in that Mundy is more likely to leave, but he's also, at least in the past, left his negotiations 'til very late in the season, usually after it ISTR. Some people are like that, they don't like to have negotiations going on while the season is on. It seems to be his preference.

Normally that's fine, but being a RFA, it's going to give other clubs plenty of time and space to make their manoeuvrers. If Mundy is going down that route again, then we've got no choice but to sort out Fyfe first and then hope we've got enough in the bank to ward off any RFA attempt.

Rubbish, Mundy leaving would hurt us for the next say 4 years, Fyfe leaving would hurt us for the next 10. Dealing with Fyfe is easily more important.

Does the name Gary Ablett Junior ring a bell? He took the money and ran. We don't have the list Geelong had to cover for him at that point in time. It hardly ever happens but if the best player in the league can be convinced to pack up and leave his town so can Fyfe if the money is right. It'd take similar money as well. (Which only 1-2 teams could afford) Can't see him leaving personally but the closer to the end of the season it gets the less likely it is that he'll stay.

Rubbish, Mundy leaving would hurt us for the next say 4 years, Fyfe leaving would hurt us for the next 10. Dealing with Fyfe is easily more important.

Does the name Gary Ablett Junior ring a bell? He took the money and ran. We don't have the list Geelong had to cover for him at that point in time. It hardly ever happens but if the best player in the league can be convinced to pack up and leave his town so can Fyfe if the money is right. It'd take similar money as well. (Which only 1-2 teams could afford) Can't see him leaving personally but the closer to the end of the season it gets the less likely it is that he'll stay.

Really, really bad comparison.

Gablett was in a fishbowl with the ever present shadow of his father hanging over him. Not only his football heritage and legacy, but his post career issues.

Fyfe is from a stable WA farming family and community with strong ties.

Fyfe's manager is just angling for Freo to put up a better offer (i.e. His job) which i think is fair. If i was Fyfe and offered 800k or so, and half a game nic nat was being offered closer to a mill, i would be pushing for more too. I would think 4 mill over 4 years would be fair compensation for what i am seeing on the field.

Really, really bad comparison.

Gablett was in a fishbowl with the ever present shadow of his father hanging over him. Not only his football heritage and legacy, but his post career issues.

Fyfe is from a stable WA farming family and community with strong ties.
Fyfe still goes to LG whenever he can and runs water for the Bombers up there. I would be pretty surprised if a country kid would leave the premiership window home-state club in a footy state (which, as billboards of Pav can attest, results in some good marketing money – but I don't think that's entirely Fyfe's caper). It would have to be some $1 mil over 8 year deal. And I can't see it happening when Freo inevitably offer him $8, 850,000 dollars. Which might be expensive when Buddy and Ablett are only $250,000 more, but Fyfe is still an asset and will end up a pretty stellar midfielder – and you gotta pay what you gotta pay.

I would be surprised if he moved. Bitterly disappointed and resentful but still surprised.

Mundy's a bigger question mark, and should he be able to ride off into the Eastern States sunset with a medal, he could be a real change to go.

As you said, Ablett is a quiet person. I'm sure the anonymity of the Gold Coast is better than not being able to have a coffee in peace down in the Troit, with Cats fans insisting on a chat all the time. Not to mention the incredible money. And the fact he'd won a Brownlow and two flags. Who wouldn't move? It's almost dumb to stay at the Catters. People down there still like the guy too.

Read what I posted again.

I said Mundy leaving would give us no chance of getting to the big dance next year - I agree it will hurt the club if Fyfe left (As I thought I had explained in the 2nd last sentence of my post), but short term Mundy leaving hurts us more than Fyfe leaving - Which is highly unlikely due to him being from Western Australia

Your 2nd paragraph I agree with although if you read what I posted you will note that I said it is very rare for players FROM WA to leave in the prime of their career to move to Victoria. A player FROM Victoria in the prime of their career moving to the Gold Coast is a COMPLETELY different
scenario.

Essentially we agree....I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams would have to give up a lot in a trade to get Fyfe, otherwise Brisbane will get him in the draft.
I don't see Fyfe going anywhere. He will sign later this year for big money. Mundy is one one who we need to lock up first, I agree.

I have more on the line than anyone. If Fyfe leaves I have to change my bigfooty username.

Sign you bastard, sign!

13then7thengone?

This is the best image I can find that may give you some kinda hint.

Nathan+Fyfe+IDT-0QtWlWKm.jpg

And now you have the answer to the only trivia quiz question you will ever need to know.

Just quietly, I think Mundy might find the concept of playing a game of footy against his mate Pav a little difficult. It is kinda hard to picture Mundy playing elsewhere at the moment, but you never can tell now that he's a free agent.

Re: the thread title - I can't really think who might be considered delist material from the MAIN list at this stage of the year, there are no clear standouts yet. It'd be interesting to canvas the coaching staffs' thoughts on the matter..

Just quietly, I think Mundy might find the concept of playing a game of footy against his mate Pav a little difficult. It is kinda hard to picture Mundy playing elsewhere at the moment, but you never can tell now that he's a free agent.

Re: the thread title - I can't really think who might be considered delist material from the MAIN list at this stage of the year, there are no clear standouts yet. It'd be interesting to canvas the coaching staffs' thoughts on the matter..

I wonder if we will trade some of our depth players to improve our draft and salary cap position much like Hawks traded Savage last year.

This appears to me like a great list management decision although choosing the players would be tricky.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back