List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some muppet on here a few years back reckoned that sonson wouldn't make it because he was too slow, I think my response was something like his kicking is sublime and I've yet to see anyone run faster than a footy being kicked through the air.
You haven't seen me kick.

Time to turn our focus on Apeness/Tabs and put a shiteload of games into them. Hopefully fast track their development. I know it doesn't realistically work this way though...
Since we're in the premiership window I'd rather not. Keep picking the best 22, some weeks they be in that 22. Besides, players should never expect a game because we are in need of their role.

I hope he does. But I would like to see him putting the kinds of performances from the weekend on a week to week basis. Also against better opposition before I start calling him a bright young prospect.
He's only just come back from injury.
The reason that he hasn't put together more weeks before is because he didn't play between round 1 and a month ago.
He has since averaged 16.5 disposals, 6.25 marks and 1.75 goals. In comparison all of Morabito, Sheridan and Crozier have more disposals and tackles per game but none of them do as well as he does in the marks per match or goals per game. I would say that he is performing reasonably and I can see why RTB is talking about him.

On the surface the figures show that he is more suited to the forward role than any of the others mentioned. He may be able to fill that HFF position that we just can't seem to sort out. He is 10 cm taller than Hayden, is bigger (height and weight) than Suban, Spurr, Hill, D Pearce, C Pearce (taller only) and Mzungu. He likes to take a grab and is going close to 2 goals a game. Heck if he can turn that HFF position from 5d and meh into 8d and 1.75g a game he is a winner for mine.

We have been interviewing the #1/#2 draft pick next year , a CHF. From Mark Stevens twitter

"Freo has interviewed McCartin. Fascinating given there's no hope he'll still be there late in 1st round. Are Dockers plotting super trade?"

We have been interviewing the #1/#2 draft pick next year , a CHF. From Mark Stevens twitter

"Freo has interviewed McCartin. Fascinating given there's no hope he'll still be there late in 1st round. Are Dockers plotting super trade?"
I assume we're just covering the bases, who knows what will happen before now and the draft. I hope we don't go for the super trade option as that would mean we'd be trading one of our A-grade players.

Just telling him he'd be getting the second best defender might lure him. Don't think hes suited to being number one target and would be ideal support.
In all honesty it would be better if we could recruit someone to take the number one forward role from Pav. As he gets older he's only going to struggle more against the best defenders in the competition.

Should it be this year?

Trade Colin back to Melbourne for there first pick ;) Or maybe tell McCartin to be a little girl like Wingard and say he doesn't want to leave the state, although then wce would pick him up.

Probably just doing the rounds, talking to everyone.

Should it be this year?

Trade Colin back to Melbourne for there first pick ;) Or maybe tell McCartin to be a little girl like Wingard and say he doesn't want to leave the state, although then wce would pick him up.

Probably just doing the rounds, talking to everyone.
I'm pretty sure that's not what Wingard said.

He told GWS he doesn't like what they're building

Regarding the Mccartin discussion think its a good practice for our club to at least leave a good impression with an early pick prospect who knows what will happen in 5-7 years time and if positive impression will potential help with any trade discussion down the track? Also allows for complete unfounded and speculative with zero source trade sepculation for bored poster.i.e. Morabito to Dees plus our first pick in teens for the comp pick Melbourne will receive from losing Frawley (copyright More_of_bito)

Thought I read somewhere he told them it'd be a waste picking him, because he doesn't want to be away from home. I'll try and find the article.
I think he said that he would walk back to SA immediately after his first contract was up. GWS decided they didn't want that attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Freo need another Key Defender if McPharlin does go. If Tanner Smith hasnt had injuries in the last 2 seasons, He would of Notched around 5-10 games right now instead of just that one game vs the Hawks at Tassie last season. I have heard reports on here Alex Pearce has been doing well at Peel. I have said this before... If McPharlin re

Dawson turns 29 in February next season and has easily 2-3 good seasons left. Johnson Turns 30 in October and He is contracted until 2015 but he will go in until 2016.

Possibly... I dont think either SA side will pay fair odds though.

Robbie Warnock played 21 games in 2 seasons for Freo, Yet Carlton offered their 2nd, 3rd and 5th round pick for Warnock and pick

Shane Kersten: Pick 24 in the 2011 draft. Gutted we didnt get him. Got Forster from Norwood in the SANFL at pick 29.

I would want him but I wouldn't justify paying pick 18 for him. I would trade pick 35. I have seen some of his progress. Like all geelong kids, they would play all season in the Geelong Reserves then play 1 or 2 games in their 1st season then slowly get more games in the 2nd and 3rd seasons then get in the 22. Hes has had a few injuries in the last 2 seasons. Seems like a decent medium sized forward. he has only played a couple of games. If he played a few more games, he would boost up his value.

Had he already notched up 20-30 games and 40-50 goals, freo would be after him.

Its unlikely but Freos 1st round pick for Kersten and geelongs 2nd round pick might be fair.

Was curious as to what you would offer for Kersto. Highly rated at the club and, as you correctly posted, would have been out there earlier bar for injury.
With Hawkins, Vardy coming back next year after the ACL, Kersten has become a valuable link for us. He is a brilliant lead up forward and a deadly kick from 60. I m not sure the interest is there from him to return home - he still remembers being passed over by WA clubs several times.

All that said, I was intereted in the external view of value.

My guess he stays at Geelong and signs a new multi year deal.

Thanks

Go Catters

Was curious as to what you would offer for Kersto. Highly rated at the club and, as you correctly posted, would have been out there earlier bar for injury.
With Hawkins, Vardy coming back next year after the ACL, Kersten has become a valuable link for us. He is a brilliant lead up forward and a deadly kick from 60. I m not sure the interest is there from him to return home - he still remembers being passed over by WA clubs several times.

Thanks

Go Catters
He was passed by us and the Eagles due to him having a bad attitude towards staying in WA to play footy. Wouldn't mind him but wouldn't be selling the farm for a guy who hasn't shown much more then a mark and goal kind of player.

Thanks

Go Catters
The fact is, very few trades happen at 'value'. There are occasional 'win-win' trades where each team fills a need, but these appear to be incredibly rare these days. Most trades occur now when the player wants out or the club wants him out - in either case, the trade offered doesn't meet what you would think of as 'market value'.

The Freo early-2000s throw a million bucks at a star player and then pay again on the trade table strategy is so horribly flawed that we just won't see it, other than in Free Agency (at least then you only have to pay once!)

I agree, Kersten is most likely to stay with the Cats. Most players do stay. But if he found himself not getting a game next year, he could look elsewhere. Unlikely. IMO missing Kersten (we picked Croz & Sheridan & Forster before him) is our biggest draft screwup in recent times.

He was passed by us and the Eagles due to him having a bad attitude towards staying in WA to play footy. Wouldn't mind him but wouldn't be selling the farm for a guy who hasn't shown much more then a mark and goal kind of player.

Pretty sure he has 9 goals in 5 games on the back of 40 last year in VFL. I'll take it. And given that mark and kick goal is what a forward should do - sits pretty well with me.

Had not heard of the issue of playing in WA - there has been a lot of chatter about him going back from other WA based people so its interesting to hear that. Also, there was fair criticism of his defensive side of the game when he arrived and it took a while for him to get that going. He has improve there now. We shall see how he pans out.

GO Catters

The fact is, very few trades happen at 'value'. There are occasional 'win-win' trades where each team fills a need, but these appear to be incredibly rare these days. Most trades occur now when the player wants out or the club wants him out - in either case, the trade offered doesn't meet what you would think of as 'market value'.

The Freo early-2000s throw a million bucks at a star player and then pay again on the trade table strategy is so horribly flawed that we just won't see it, other than in Free Agency (at least then you only have to pay once!)

I agree, Kersten is most likely to stay with the Cats. Most players do stay. But if he found himself not getting a game next year, he could look elsewhere. Unlikely. IMO missing Kersten (we picked Croz & Sheridan & Forster before him) is our biggest draft screwup in recent times.

It seemed, from the outside, like a perfect match. Its early to call it a screw up but I take your point. As previously posted, I guess he had some anti WA footy mail about him at draft time which was news to me.

So far so good for us and I feel he will be a longtime Geelong player if he wants it. Hopefully you can find a Pav replacement before he hangs them up. Thing is replacing Champion players is extremely hard. And he is a Champion no question. And trust me, Cats have had plenty of Champs leave and filling those holes is effen hard.

Go Catters

Pretty sure he has 9 goals in 5 games on the back of 40 last year in VFL. I'll take it. And given that mark and kick goal is what a forward should do - sits pretty well with me.

Had not heard of the issue of playing in WA - there has been a lot of chatter about him going back from other WA based people so its interesting to hear that. Also, there was fair criticism of his defensive side of the game when he arrived and it took a while for him to get that going. He has improve there now. We shall see how he pans out.

GO Catters

9 goals in 5 games is not great, I would compare him a bit to Crameri (in regards to role) as he is a good 3rd KPF but I doubt he could be the main target.

I think our 2nd rounder is about right considering Crameri was worth pick 20 (from memory) and Kersten is not at the level yet.

It seemed, from the outside, like a perfect match. Its early to call it a screw up but I take your point. As previously posted, I guess he had some anti WA footy mail about him at draft time which was news to me.

So far so good for us and I feel he will be a longtime Geelong player if he wants it. Hopefully you can find a Pav replacement before he hangs them up. Thing is replacing Champion players is extremely hard. And he is a Champion no question. And trust me, Cats have had plenty of Champs leave and filling those holes is effen hard.

Go Catters
Cheers, if we can replace quality like Geelong has over the past eight years I'll be thrilled. There's no way we'll ever replace Pav.

9 goals in 5 games is not great, I would compare him a bit to Crameri (in regards to role) as he is a good 3rd KPF but I doubt he could be the main target.

I think our 2nd rounder is about right considering Crameri was worth pick 20 (from memory) and Kersten is not at the level yet.

Thanks. I have no interest at all in him leaving and I had heard nothing that would suggest he wants to leave. I was curious to see where he sat in the market. Good info. :thumbsu:

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back