List Mgmt. List management 2022-2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, I reckon the only reason McEntee was gifted his games at the end of last season was for the coaches to ascetain if he was any good.
And, he did okay: but with the arrival of Rioli and the pending return of Fanta, me thinks he will not survive the cut.
Played a totally different roles at the end.

The story does not say if McEntee and/or Dumont has been elevated.

We have to either draft 3 players or draft 2 and a rookie upgrade. Looks like we will definitely use pick 33 and 60.

The minimum a list must be is 36 main + 1 rookie = 37. Maximum is 42, 36-38 main + 4-6 rookies. You can also add up to 2 Cat B rookies.

Our 4 rookies before today were Pasini, Teakle, McEntee and Dumont. As I said above I don't know if we have elevated one of the 2 rookies given 1 more year contracts, it could be Pasini, and we have left open a couple of spots probably for Evans and either another DFA or a rookie to get to a list of 42.

1665730353304.png

But anyone can pick him up as a dfa, normal draft or even rookie draft before we select him in the rookie draft.
In practice that's extremely rare though. I think the only time it's happened was when GC were silly enough to delist Greenwood.

The story does not say if McEntee and/or Dumont has been elevated.

We have to either draft 3 players or draft 2 and a rookie upgrade. Looks like we will definitely use pick 33 and 60.

The minimum a list must be is 36 main + 1 rookie = 37. Maximum is 42, 36-38 main + 4-6 rookies. You can also add up to 2 Cat B rookies.

Our 4 rookies before today were Pasini, Teakle, McEntee and Dumont. As I said above I don't know if we have elevated one of the 2 rookies given 1 more year contracts, it could be Pasini, and we have left open a couple of spots probably for Evans and either another DFA or a rookie to get to a list of 42.

View attachment 1536336
I think Pasini needs to be upgraded because he has now spent three years on the rookie list, unless the AFL allow a fourth year again.

I think Pasini needs to be upgraded because he has now spent three years on the rookie list, unless the AFL allow a fourth year again.
The AFL allowed a 4th year because of covid, without having to be delisted and re rookied like Hewett was.

Given Pasini hasn't been delisted yet then the assumption is that he will be upgraded then right?

Pasini would have been unlucky to be delisted after getting a new two year contract in August. We're not St Kilda you know!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've tended not to maximise our list spots. I prefer we did for the sake of having our players playing alongside as many competent players as possible.
This year we had as many as we could on the main and rookie lists (+1 as Pasini was on the LTI)

The only option to add more is the category B list. I'm not sure adding players to the category B list is likely to increase the number of competent players.

Players on the category B list probably require more development and resources than others. If you pick up those players you want to be pretty confident they have a chance at being good because otherwise it is a waste of coaching staff resources.

Not sure what Ken sees in Francis Evans from Geelong. This guy was described as a 'massive left field bolter' when Geelong secured him at #41 in the 2019 Draft and he has managed just 7 games in 3 seasons. In those games he has managed 6.6 disposals a game and kicked just 3 goals. I guess he will go on the Rookie List and add some depth.

Not sure what Ken sees in Francis Evans from Geelong. This guy was described as a 'massive left field bolter' when Geelong secured him at #41 in the 2019 Draft and he has managed just 7 games in 3 seasons. In those games he has managed 6.6 disposals a game and kicked just 3 goals. I guess he will go on the Rookie List and add some depth.
He was an unused sub in one of those games, substituted off in another game and substituted on in a third game.

Stein from GWS delisted. 198cm KPD. Champion decathlete as a junior, switched to footy and taken as a cat B rookie. Only played 20 games over 5 years. Definitely has the size we’re lacking. Worth a look?
He's only 195.

Does his job but extremely uninspiring. Maybe we need another mature defender to back up McKenzie but I think in this case better to go younger.

I read an article at the time saying we were interested in him in his draft as well as Geelong, so we were tracking him even back then.

2006: Boak (5).

2007: None remain.

2008: None remain.

2009: None remain.

2010: Lycett (29); Mckenzie (Pre-listed); Dixon (Pre-listed).

2011: Tom Jonas (Rookie)

2012: Wines (7); Clurey (29).

2013: Dumont(30); Aliir (44); DBJ (52); Fantasia (55).

2014: Finlayson (69).

2015: Burton (19); Bonner (37).

2016: Marshall (16); SPP (18); Drew (30); Rioli (52); Houston (Rookie).

2017: Hayes (47); Farrell (51).

2018: Rozee (5); Butters (12); Duursma (18).

2019: Bergman (14); Georgiades (18); Williams (23); Mead (25); Pasini (Rookie).

2020: Jones (16); Lord (49); McEntee (13 MSD).

2021: JHF (1); Sinn (12), Hugh Jackson (55); Dante Visentini (56); Jase Burgoyne (60).

2022: Teakle (MSD); Pick 33, Pick 60, Pick 84.

Pasini would have been unlucky to be delisted after getting a new two year contract in August. We're not St Kilda you know!

Ok so Pasini has been elevated. Can't keep him on the rookie list for 5 years.

So it will be pick 33, 60 and Pasini elevation that meets the 3 added to the list rules.

Edit for salary cap dodge - ie first $80k of a rookie's base salary under the 2017-22 CBA, is not included in the Total Player Payments ie Salary Cap.

Dec 2015 rookie Houston. Keep him on Rokkie list for 2016,17,18 officially elevate him in Oct/Nov 2018
Dec 2016 rookie Ladhams and Lienert. Keep them on Rookie list for 2017,18,19 officially elevate then in Oct/Nov 2019
Dec 2018 Cat B rookie Frederick. Keep him on Rookie list for 2019,20,21 and officially elevate him in Oct/Nov 2021

Dec 2019 rookie Pasini. Keep him on rookie list for 2020,21,22 and officially elevate him Oct/Nov 2022

1665751218362.png

Last edited:
Stein from GWS delisted. 198cm KPD. Champion decathlete as a junior, switched to footy and taken as a cat B rookie. Only played 20 games over 5 years. Definitely has the size we’re lacking. Worth a look?
It seems he has the height of a Key Back but plays inches shorter - bit like Lienert I'd say. I saw him play a couple nice games but his 2022 numbers are awful. Can obviously run.

Ok so Pasini has been elevated. Can't keep him on the rookie list for 5 years.

So it will be pick 33, 60 and Pasini elevation that meets the 3 added to the list rules.

Edit for salary cap dodge - ie first $80k of a rookie's base salary under the 2017-22 CBA, is not included in the Total Player Payments ie Salary Cap.

Dec 2015 rookie Houston. Keep him on Rokkie list for 2016,17,18 officially elevate him in Oct/Nov 2018
Dec 2016 rookie Ladhams and Lienert. Keep them on Rookie list for 2017,18,19 officially elevate then in Oct/Nov 2019
Dec 2018 Cat B rookie Frederick. Keep him on Rookie list for 2019,20,21 and officially elevate him in Oct/Nov 2021

Dec 2019 rookie Pasini. Keep him on rookie list for 2020,21,22 and officially elevate him Oct/Nov 2022

View attachment 1536579

Yes we have a history of Rookie Listing players to the max. before elevating them. It is obviously salary cap related. It is also surprising the number of really good players that come up through the Rookie Lists. Just about every club has 3 or 4 outstanding players who have come up via the Rookie list.

So, after picks 33 and 60, and if Evans is picked up, leaves one spot, rookie or main list. Then of course is the Cat B. McEntee is another midfielder turned small (pressure?) forward experiment, and we’ve had a few of those tried and failed. Yes, has been very average to below average in what he has been asked to do. McEntee is still only 21 and I thought he showed improvement in 2022, and had good last two games. So I understand why we may persist with him. While I like the idea of Evans (must be purely depth) I am struggling with the idea of bringing him in if we are keeping McEntee, unless we think our small forwards are going to be decimated again like this year. I would have thought that gambling on a tall KPD would have been more important. I think Lord is struggling, although I keep forgetting that he has only been around for two years. Making it in the back lines may be his last chance. Williams - what a b@@@@y disappointment, can see the talent, but will need a big turn around if he has any hope of making it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back