List Mgmt. List management 2022-2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much better option than Evans IMO, but we've already committed to Evans and we don't have any more list space. I read Gold Coast were interested, he might end up there.
Have had Amon leave. Gray and Motlop retire. Delisted Williams, (r)Schofield, (r)Fredrick, (r)Mayes, skinner.
Added jhf and Willy.
Williams to be relisted as a rookie, 2 picks in national draft. So yes if we pick up evans we would have a full list. Although we may not use pick 60 in national draft.

If McKenzie had decided he was cooked I could see us talking Walker. Similar role as the 30 year old backup on his last legs, but we don't need 2.

Only way I can see it now is if we totally fail to get any other KPD and are fairly convinced on Ratugolea as a key back and just need 12 months coverage.

If McKenzie had decided he was cooked I could see us talking Walker. Similar role as the 30 year old backup on his last legs, but we don't need 2.

Only way I can see it now is if we totally fail to get any other KPD and are fairly convinced on Ratugolea as a key back and just need 12 months coverage.
Thats how I see it, but it wont happen with us being an interstate team. Hard for Walker to relocate for just 12 mnths. Would suit a Vic team who need him to cover for 1or 2 years.

I thought we had 1 more spot on the main list after Evans?
After Evans we have three spots in the draft; picks 33, 60 and 84. If we use all of them we only have space to add Williams to the rookie list in the rookie draft. The addition of JHF, Rioli, Evans, pick 33, pick 60 and pick 84, plus moving Pasini to the main list, brings us to the maximum of 38 on the main list. Current rookies are at 3 (Teakle, Dumont and McEntee), Williams would bring that to 4 and we would be at the combined maximum of 42 spots total for main and category A rookies.

We can decide to not use pick 84 and carry that space to the rookie draft if we are confident that we can get the right player in the rookie draft.

Last year we had 37 on the main list and 5 rookies. Mid Year we were able to add Teakle because Pasini was out for the season.
Off the main list go Gray, Motlop, Amon, Skinner, Frederick and Williams (37 -6 = 31 after delistings and retirements.
Into the main list come JHF, Rioli, Evans, Pasini, pick 33, pick 60 and Pick 84 (31 + 7 =38 main).
Off the rookie list goes Mayes, Schofield and Pasini [6 (due to Teakle addition) -3= 3 spots (Dumont, McEntee, Teakle)]. This leaves one spot for Williams to be picked up in rookie draft.

Last edited:
After Evans we have three spots in the draft picks 33, 60 and 84. If we use all of them we only have space to add williams to the rookie list in the rookie draft. The addition of JHF, Rioli, Evans, pick 33, pick 60 and pick 84plus moving Pasini to the main list brings us to the maximum of 38 on the main list. Current rookies are at 3 (Teakle, Dumont and McEntee), Williams would bring that to 4 and we would be at the combined maximum of 42 spots total for main and category A rookies.

We can decide to not use pick 84 and carry that space to the rookie draft if we are confident that we can get the right player in the rookie draft.
I reckon that is what we will do: not use pick 84 & get the right player in the rookie draft; albeit, it may be Monty.

I wouldn’t mind having a throw at the stumps with Josh Walker. I don’t think Tom Jonas would get a game at North either for what it’s worth.

Worst case scenario is he adds depth to our defence. An improvement on Skinner which we took a similar punt on.

I wouldn’t mind having a throw at the stumps with Josh Walker. I don’t think Tom Jonas would get a game at North either for what it’s worth.

Worst case scenario is he adds depth to our defence. An improvement on Skinner which we took a similar punt on.
An inflatable waving arm tube man would have been better than Skinner. On reflection I don't know that they are permitted on the fiield though? In that case Walker is a better option.

Josh Walker, a guy not good enough for the worst team in the comp. Cmon guys we aren’t in the business of gifting list spots to any tall guy who comes along

Im not saying the guys should be picked up, far from it. I don't know anything about him beyond what i can see on his player profile and don't think i've seen him play all year (other then we player them and don't remember any of his game)

It is Norf we are talking about that made the decision to delist him, they are hardly renowned for making good decisions. Sometime crappy clubs delist players have still got something to offer. We got McKenize as a DFA and he was a pillar in our defence in 2020, a side that was a kick away from a GF.

If there is any chance Walker can do similar for us next year, it's worth thinking about for 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Walker, a guy not good enough for the worst team in the comp. Cmon guys we aren’t in the business of gifting list spots to any tall guy who comes along

Whilst I see your point, he fits the criteria of a stop gap depth signing who has the requisite size (6'5, 98kg) to handle the big brute KPFs of the competition. As it stands, unless they intend to play Aliir on the biggest KPF, they're left to Clurey and McKenzie to fill that role, and whilst they are good defenders, there are times when they are simply overmatched in the physical contests.

I don't see how signing someone like Walker as a one year rental would be considered a bad thing given the current archetypes of KPDs currently on Port's playing list.

Saw quite a bit of him when he was playing for Brisbane. He would fit in nicely until one our developing lads step up. Dont know his personal situation though. Partner? Kids? Will he relocate to SA for a year or two?

Josh Walker would be better than Skinner. If you think we need a Skinner replacement, he's as good an available option as any.

If we hadn't stupidly signed McKenzie way earlier than we needed to, we could've used his list spot on a defender with actual KPD size instead. Walker would've been a much better fit for our list than McKenzie.

We don't have a enough list spots to recruit Walker. It doesn't make sense to have two 30+ year old defenders playing in the sanfl and I doubt Walker would want to move to SA for that anyway.

He is maybe marginally better than McKenzie. If we had delisted McKenzie it would have been worth it but we didn't.

I think we have too many tall fwds/ruck options to fit into one side. Marshall, Georgie, Dixon, lycett, vicentini, teakle, Finlayson. Would it hurt to chuck say vicentini or teakle into defence team to see if they can add something with their height?

We don't have a enough list spots to recruit Walker. It doesn't make sense to have two 30+ year old defenders playing in the sanfl and I doubt Walker would want to move to SA for that anyway.

He is maybe marginally better than McKenzie. If we had delisted McKenzie it would have been worth it but we didn't.
This.

We would need to delist one of our already contracted (lower paid) players, and pay him out, to create another list spot.

Can't see our venerable leaders squandering money like that. We've stuffed up our list management by racing to contract a few guys who more than likely aren't up to the grade at AFL level, and there is zilch wriggle room now even if a good pick happens to be available at our selection(s).

Would rather take Anderson than Evans. Could play Amons role very, very well. Add leadership to the Magoos if Burgmann and Durrsma come on as we hope/expect.

1) Anderson couldn't play the Amon role 'very, very well'. He is not a wingman. He is a pressure half forward/inside mid. And we certainly do not need a player who does that - we already have SPP who is a gold plated version.

2) Even if he was a wingman, we do not need a wingman! Farrell, Bergman, Duursma, Sinn, Bonner, Jones are all fringe wing players who haven't had the opportunity to establish their spot in the side. We don't need to add a 28 year old into that mix.

3) We already have Dumont who is that mature leadership player. We don't need to stack our SANFL side with more of those. And I'm not even that sure if Jed Anderson is particularly renowned for his leadership.

People may disagree with picking up Evans as a player, but it's indisputably the correct decision from a positional view point. We need goal kicking small/medium forwards.

Ideally I would of liked to see us pick up an Alex Sexton who I think is just better and immediately adds to the side. But for whatever reason we couldn't pick him up - maybe he has an enormous contract or something, which wouldn't surprise me.

And I'm also OK with Evans. He hasn't had a heap of opportunity because he is at the best side in the comp but he clearly has some traits that our recruiting team like and I'm willing to back them in on this one. And if it doesn't work out - well it's a 2 year minimum wage contract that otherwise probably would have gone to pick 104. Extremely low cost.

Last edited:
Anderson gets hammered for his terrible disposal. Can't see that being a useful asset in the role we gave Amon.

1) Anderson couldn't play the Amon role 'very, very well'. He is not a wingman. He is a pressure half forward/inside mid. And we certainly do not need a player who does that - we already have SPP who is a gold plated version.

2) Even if he was a wingman, we do not need a wingman! Farrell, Bergman, Duursma, Sinn, Bonner, Jones are all fringe wing players who haven't had the opportunity to establish their spot in the side. We don't need to add a 28 year old into that mix.

3) We already have Dumont who is that mature leadership player. We don't need to stack our SANFL side with more of those. And I'm not even that sure if Jed Anderson is particularly renowned for his leadership.

People may disagree with picking up Evans as a player, but it's indisputably the correct decision from a positional view point. We need goal kicking small/medium forwards.

Ideally I would of liked to see us pick up an Alex Sexton who I think is just better and immediately adds to the side. But for whatever reason we couldn't pick him up - maybe he has an enormous contract or something, which wouldn't surprise me.

And I'm also OK with Evans. He hasn't had a heap of opportunity because he is at the best side in the comp but he clearly has some traits that our recruiting team like and I'm willing to back them in on this one. And if it doesn't work out - well it's a 2 year minimum wage contract that otherwise probably would have gone to pick 104. Extremely low cost.
I was very impressed with Dumont last year and I hope I can be surprised by Evans next year
Like you I am Ok with the Evans selection; his wants to come here (his father lives in SA) and cost us peanuts.
He will have a two-year contract, so for next year, he deserves a fair go.

Trying to get a gig in the Geelong forward line is a bit like being the understudy to Rudolf Nureyev.
Frank the Tank managed to play six games in their Premiership year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back