List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope we go out and get luke breust this off season, very smooth operator. Kicked 40 goals this season, very durable (avgs 21 games per season) and doesn't look to be slowing down. Also brings leadership and can help out our younger small forwards + knows what it means to be successful.

Martin was very good yesterday.

3 smalls (and Martin as a 4th) doesn't work imo.

Especially when the delivery I50 is often deplorable.

Agree with this.
It’s not a popular view but I think Owies is a depth player and should not be in the best 22. I’d prioritise Durdin and Motlop as the smalls.
I saw a post suggesting that Owies be repurposed as a lockdown small defender and I must say I didn’t hate the idea. Owies’ #1 asset is his pressure/tackling, and he doesn’t hit the scoreboard enough. Seems to me that he can be more effective shutting down a small forward than trying to be one.

Are we really that close to a flag that we should discuss brining in a Breust or Gunston type ?

Maybe in terms of leadership we could get premiership players to give us some on field value in that department, not sure if those Hawk players I mentioned will fulfill that purpose.

Wouldn't mind Luke Shuey in a Hodge at Lions role at us for a couple of seasons tbh

McGovern and Williams have new contracts in front of them, but not at the same value as their previous contract.

Dow is on the trade table, but not much interest so far. Norf is interested in Dow, Dow isn’t interested in Norf… in fact, Dow isn’t interested in going anywhere. He’s willing to wait for his chance.

O'Brien, Plowman also on the trade table. Plow maybe, but definitely not LOB… he signed a new contract last week.

Massive changes to the playing list coming up.

Setterfield also on the trade table. Now you’re reaching in desperation for any sort of credibility here.
LOL 😂

Areas of need this off season... In no order...

Small Forward - That can crumb, pressure and kick goals
  • Motlop - IMO our best small forward, needs to put on strength over the pre season... We need someone to partner with him next year...
  • Durdin - Great long term prospects. Lacks strength, influence and smarts due to age... Has been thrown in the deep end, like to see him developed in the VFL until ready... Could use as a forward tagger to get him involved in the game...
  • Honey - Needs to learn to accumulate and be involved at AFL level... Lacks strength, influence and smarts also... Like to see him developed in the VFL until ready...
  • Owies - Depth player... Shouldn't be a first picked best 22 player...
  • Fisher - X Factor small forward that can be dangerous, the player we need... Just sooks because he doesn't want to play there...
  • Cuningham - Strong bodied small forward who can kick goals, upgrade on Owies...
3rd Tall Forward/ Ruck (CHF) - We need a reliable CHF that can offer second ruck duties...
  • Silvagni - Is hyped in the footy world because of his name... Thought he had a poor overall year for us this year... Want him in the 22 but needs to bed down a role... As a forward needs to kick more goals, 17 for the year is not enough...
  • De Koning - So want him to be the man, offers everything we need tall, athletic, good mark, fast enough, good kick for goal, just can't seem to put it together up forward... Whole pre season should be learning this role...
  • McDonald - Depth at best, less he plays more he's myth grows... Possible delist...
  • Young - Is a KPD, playing well there, no chance of moving...
Wing - We need some class and players who can play inside or out...
  • Newnes/ O'Brien/ Cottrell - All the same level, should be AFL depth only/ delisted... Wouldn't get a starting game at any other club... Have age on their side and a couple more pre seasons now to take the next step and prove themselves...
  • Setterfield - Has finally proved to Voss he is an inside midfielder and not a winger...
  • Walsh & Cerra - Perfect wingers, no idea why we seldom play them there...
Ruck - Need to get with the athletic ruck times... Gawn/ Jackson/ Stanley/ Blickcavs/ Marshall/ English/ Draper/ TDK
  • Pittonet - Gone are the days of the slow moping tap ruckman, needs to focus on his athletism, great ruck craft poor around the ground...
  • De Koning - Exactly the new generation type ruckman, we need to find someone to partner with him...
  • Mirkov - Average VFL ruckman, no proof either way that he makes it at AFL level...

Areas of strength...
Defence - Stocked well here, not sure we need another KPD, unless we get rid of one or a good one pops up... Just need some luck with injuries...
Midfield - Have a good list of contested players, that play their roles well... Could use some speed in there...
Forwards - Have 2 great KPF and Motlop to develop around...

Coaching
  • We need to be consistent in our game plan, went away from it second half of year, until the last 2 games...
  • We need to get our forward and midfield cohesion... This bomb the ball on a stagnant Harry or Charlie doesn't work and just plays into the oppositions hands...
  • Keep working hard on fitness and injury prevention...
My Best 22 for 2023 (Including possible trades)

FB: Boyd - Young - McGovern
HB: Williams - Weitering - Saad

C: Walsh - Cripps - Cerra
FOL: ?/Pittonet - Setterfield - Hewett

HF: Bruest - De Koning - Cuningham
FF: McKay - Motlop - Curnow

Bench: Fisher (FWD) - Acres (wing) - Docherty (MID) - Marchbank (DEF)
SUB: Silvagni/ Kennedy

Like the team but we need Kemp for setterfield or he’s a bust

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TDK played most of the year as our primary ruck, another year in his growth should give him the opportunity to further evolve, getting a 34 year old is a backward step for a team that should be challenging for top 4.

If we review yesterday's game we had 20 more inside 50's so it is more about getting a better contribution from our small forward/improved decision making in our front half and some improved mental toughness in the team, they are type of things that will elevate the team to the next level.
If we’re going to get a 30+ year old player in, I’d go with Kreuzer… would work great with the mids and the other rucks. Is everything we’d need as a ruckman really. So long as his knee could hold up to the pressure that is… and it doesn’t take him too long to get back into shape.

You’re calling me a nuffie JAB for having a view? It’s just a view. No need to be rude.

Sick of the perpetual Kennedy bagging on here.

The difference between Kennedy and Setterfield is that Kennedy ghets his own ball and knows what to do with it and executed like an AFL player - he also wins one on ones.

Night and Day.

Just my opinion if I was list manager...

Re-sign - Boyd, Honey, Stocker, LOB, Cottrell, Owies, Setters, S. Durdin, Marchy
Retire - Ed, Willo, Jones
Delist - Parks, Fog, OMac, Newnes
50/50 - Cunners, Hayes

Trade
Pick 28 --> Blake Acres
Paddy Dow --> Approx. pick 40
Liam Jones --> Approx. pick 40 compo

Draft : 6 free list spots
Pick 10 --> best available outside mid/winger (list need)
Pick ~ 40 (Dow) --> key forward-ruck (list need)
Pick ~ 40 (Jones) --> small forward (list need)
Pick 62 --> inside mid (youth)
Pick 64 --> half back flanker (youth)
I’m sorry… WTF? Willo just got a try out at Norf in the VFL, there’s a good chance he might get picked up by them which means we get a compo pick. As for Dow, he’s worth more than pick 40ish. If he goes, he goes for a late 20s or early 30s pick. There is no way we will roll over and accept a third round pick for him.

I thought Hayes got an 18 month deal as a rookie… which means we don’t need to worry about him til next year. Cunners, I think, will get put on the rookie list and let run in the VFL for next season so he can get his body right before making a come back late next year.

I’d forget about pick 28 for Acres… the two compo picks should be sufficient to get him. I’d be using pick 28 to pry McAsey out of Adelaide.

The defence just needed more time. Marchbank, McGovern and Williams all late season ins. They will have better organisation next year.

Expect Marchbank if remaining uninjured to really step up again in 2023.
If I remember rightly, Marchbank was a real general before his injuries and marshalled the defence well. I’m not saying Weiters didn’t do a good job, but having two leaders keeping track of things is good… controlling their lines as it were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sorry… WTF? Willo just got a try out at Norf in the VFL, there’s a good chance he might get picked up by them which means we get a compo pick. As for Dow, he’s worth more than pick 40ish. If he goes, he goes for a late 20s or early 30s pick. There is no way we will roll over and accept a third round pick for him.

I thought Hayes got an 18 month deal as a rookie… which means we don’t need to worry about him til next year. Cunners, I think, will get put on the rookie list and let run in the VFL for next season so he can get his body right before making a come back late next year.

I’d forget about pick 28 for Acres… the two compo picks should be sufficient to get him. I’d be using pick 28 to pry McAsey out of Adelaide.
We won't get any compo for Willo.
Hayes was a 6 month initial contract.

What would we realistically get for Williamson even if North picked him up? A pick in the 60's? Not sure if its worth the sweat.
I’d like to think a third round pick would be the going rate. Probably an end of third round pick.

Only because he is the only medium defender 🤣
That’s why I’d love to see us snaffle Tyreece Luiu from our VFL side. Big, quick… has a Tommy Alvin mullet, and an Armfield pr0n star mo!

Last edited:
Sick of the perpetual Kennedy bagging on here.

The difference between Kennedy and Setterfield is that Kennedy ghets his own ball and knows what to do with it and executed like an AFL player - he also wins one on ones.

Night and Day.
Agreed, Kennedy's marking through the corridor is one of our biggest strengths. He would have turned 3-4 games this season based off of critical contested or near contested marks in dangerous through the corridor kicks or switch kicks that, if fumbled or dropped, immediately lead to turnover goals and turn games. He was a revelation this season.

The talk around Zurhaar has dropped off, but geez 34 goals for the year as a medium forward, tough as nails, is a bloody good year and something we don’t have.

Im a fan of getting Gunston as he’s free and still has good output and his wage will be fairly low, but Zurhaar is a 6 plus year player.

I replied to another post I would target Zurhaar 1st and Gunston 2nd

Going to be a very, very interesting offseason.

We won't be splashing out or trying to lure any big names this year. But hopefully we can land a couple of players who may be fringe at other teams but turn out to be gems for us. If we could find another Hewitt that would be unreal.

In terms of our list though this is how I see it at this point-

Our Core group of players -

Cerra
Cripps
Harry
Doc
Walsh
Weitering
Hewett
Charlie
Saad

These 9 are all guns and would get a game at any club. Great core to build around and almost all of them have the ability to be AA if they have a form year.

Talented but injury plagued-

Zac Williams
Kennedy
McGovern
Martin
Cuningham
Marchbank

All I would consider best 22 locks if they stay fit. These guys all have bucket load of talent. If we can get a full season out of 4 or 5 of them it will go a long long way to becoming a top 4 side.

Talented youth with room to grow-

Kemp
Carrol
Motlop
Durdin
Philp
Young
TDK
Boyd
Honey

Young and TDK already showed alot this year. Motlop has shown he can stand up in big moments. Carrol and Kemp bucket load of talent. If a couple of these guys take the leap to full time best 22 player we are on our way.

Reliable soldiers-

SOS
Stocker
Newman
Fisher
Pitto
Sam Durdin
Setterfield
Cottrell

All these guys can play a best 22 role when needed.

Needs to improve/ need people to move past them/ Probably wont be on the list next year-

Dow
O'brien
Fog
Plowman
Parks
Newnes
OMac
Hayes
Owies

Not saying delist all these guys. Some will stay, but if they do they will only be a stop gap. We need others to go ahead of them.
Nice assessment. The only one I disagree with would be Cotts. He has a bucketful of talent and really exploded with the extended run he had in the seniors. If he keeps developing like he did this year, you can shift him up a level I reckon.

EDIT: And I’d move LOB and Plow up to the Soldiers section.

Last edited:
Really? He's kicked 3.9 in the last two games!

Plus an OOBF and one that fell well short (his first shot yesterday)

That's a conversion rate of about 22%.

Puts old Levi in the shade!!

He was poor in front of goal but to put the loss on him is a massive stretch.

Games are made up of huge numbers of moments and off the top of my head I can think of many that cost us just as dearly as Charlie's misses.

He made some very ordinary decisions but to blame him for the loss is grossly unfair and not at all what footy clubs are about.

Martin was very good yesterday.

3 smalls (and Martin as a 4th) doesn't work imo.

Especially when the delivery I50 is often deplorable.
Durdin and Motlop as the frenetic small forwards, Honey and Martin as the lead up HFF’s.

Cotts and LOB are also not just negating players.
Both ordinary to very ordinary players by AFL standards - Voss has worked around and with their limitations but obviously not happy to just have them as options...judging by how many times he changed the wing up - looking for something better. Both have very limited attacking run and carry ability. It is a real weakness in the side - the lack of outside class between the arcs - despite p[layers best efforts- not knocking effort.

Both ordinary to very ordinary players by AFL standards - Voss has worked around and with their limitations but obviously not happy to just have them as options...judging by how many times he changed the wing up - looking for something better. Both have very limited attacking run and carry ability. It is a real weakness in the side - the lack of outside class between the arcs - despite p[layers best efforts- not knocking effort.
Considering Cotts signed a 2 year deal, and LOB has reportedly signed a new 2 year deal as well, I’d say Voss has seen something thing there… especially with Cotts. I’m hoping with another 15-20 games into both of them next year, we might see an improvement on their levels this year.

I’ve noted in the past that I thought LOB wasn’t being developed properly and had fallen behind the others in his draft year in terms of his skills development. As an example, Cerra… 93 games… LOB, 59 games. I’m not saying that LOB should have also played 93 games, but he should still have played 75-80 senior games by now IF he’d had decent coaches working on developing him properly. Dow I would have expected to have played 90-95 games if his development was also tracking properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back