List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac mentioned some time ago that we were looking to sign a basketball player as a cat b and they were going to begin playing for magies in July.
Is this still on the cards?

Yea I was thinking about this a few days ago. No news regarding this basketball player until I saw a clip on nine news. I tried attaching the vid link but unfortunately not playable.
He is shown doing light training with the squad on Tuesday (yesterday). I think this is him.

Took a screenshots - below.

Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 8.57.14 AM.png Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 8.57.22 AM.png

Also interesting to note quite a few father sons/NGA training with the squad on Tuesday
(Order of pics)
Gill Wakelin - 1st pic (F/S 2025)
Benny Barrett (NGA 2024)
Rome Burgoyne (F/S 2024)
Oliver Francou - last pic holding the footy (F/S 2024)

Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 8.52.34 AM.png Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 8.56.18 AM.png Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 8.53.51 AM.png Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 8.57.03 AM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 8.53.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 8.53.51 AM.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 18
Yea I was thinking about this a few days ago. No news regarding this basketball player until I saw a clip on nine news. I tried attaching the vid link but unfortunately not playable.
He is shown doing light training with the squad on Tuesday (yesterday). I think this is him.

Took a screenshots - below.

View attachment 2050446View attachment 2050447

Also interesting to note quite a few father sons/NGA training with the squad on Tuesday
(Order of pics)
Gill Wakelin - 1st pic (F/S 2025)
Benny Barrett (NGA 2024)
Rome Burgoyne (F/S 2024)
Oliver Francou - last pic holding the footy (F/S 2024)

View attachment 2050450View attachment 2050451View attachment 2050453View attachment 2050454

Benny Barrett moves so fast not even HD camera can get him in focus :D

I have a feeling Benny Barrett has that little something. He's not going to be a star, but might play a Jake Neade like role for us for a few years. Any NGA you can get in that would deliver that level would be a bonus. Fingers crossed.

Ryder we payed the ‘no chance of being suspended’ price, despite a suspension likely. We payed a ‘always plays 22 games and doesn’t have concrete hands and sees perfectly at night’ price for Dixon. We payed a ‘isn’t built like a 13 year old girl with an eating disorder, who breaks down lifting a fork to his mouth’ price for Fantasia. Trash talked, we turned 2 times AA Wingard into a player we then got chips for (Duursma) and a big average (at best) Burton.
Every card is a loser with Hinkley. You can have 4 aces and you can be sure the opponent has a straight flush.

I have a feeling Benny Barrett has that little something. He's not going to be a star, but might play a Jake Neade like role for us for a few years. Any NGA you can get in that would deliver that level would be a bonus. Fingers crossed.
Please find a better player than Jake Neade to compare him too.

Since it mentioned you guys in the Article

DOGS MID ON RADAR

PORT Adelaide and West Coast both have interest in out-of-contract Western Bulldogs midfielder Riley Garcia.

The 23-year-old is yet to secure an extension at the Whitten Oval, but a handful of rivals across the country are monitoring the West Australian.

Garcia has played nine senior games this year around seven VFL games, overcoming the injury issues that limited him across the past few years.
Opportunities have been hard to secure in the Bulldogs' midfield, despite dominant form in the VFL.

Garcia collected 34 disposals, 17 tackles, 10 clearances and two goals against a strong Carlton reserves side on Sunday after being the unused sub the day before and has averaged 32 disposals and eight.
The Swan Districts product collected 23 touches and 11 contested possessions in his most recent AFL appearance against Brisbane in round 13, but was squeezed out of the 23.

Garcia was selected with pick No.62 in the 2019 AFL Draft, months after rupturing his ACL in the final game of Western Australia's under-18 championship, ruling him out of most of his debut season. – Josh Gabelich

Dan Houston suddenly of interest elsewhere?

Should have been captain. Just saying.

DOGS MID ON RADAR

PORT Adelaide and West Coast both have interest in out-of-contract Western Bulldogs midfielder Riley Garcia.

The 23-year-old is yet to secure an extension at the Whitten Oval, but a handful of rivals across the country are monitoring the West Australian.

Garcia has played nine senior games this year around seven VFL games, overcoming the injury issues that limited him across the past few years.
Opportunities have been hard to secure in the Bulldogs' midfield, despite dominant form in the VFL.

Garcia collected 34 disposals, 17 tackles, 10 clearances and two goals against a strong Carlton reserves side on Sunday after being the unused sub the day before and has averaged 32 disposals and eight.
The Swan Districts product collected 23 touches and 11 contested possessions in his most recent AFL appearance against Brisbane in round 13, but was squeezed out of the 23.

Garcia was selected with pick No.62 in the 2019 AFL Draft, months after rupturing his ACL in the final game of Western Australia's under-18 championship, ruling him out of most of his debut season. – Josh Gabelich
Can he play small forward. Couldn't understand us having a desire unless he can.

Dan Houston is a must keep. Should be our highest paid player as well as captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DOGS MID ON RADAR

Ooh, I like.

Good player who I'm guessing ran over Beveridge's dog a few weeks ago, because I have no other explanation for him getting dropped a few weeks ago off of a 23 disposal 1 goal game while absolute duds like Vandermeer and Gallagher play for you every week.

Hmmm which players have we ‘trashed’ on the way out?

This most recent trade period is tough, outside of that where have we been dictated too?

Philthy and I disagree on this, but a lot of media pundits suggested a mid second round pick was appropriate for Sav. Geelong said no initially and wanted more, we held our nerve. Soldo was in contract, every team pays more for them. Duursma for an average key back and some picks, is not unreasonable for what Xavier actually produces. Sweet for some third rounders is about what teams pay for rucks.

Ryder we said a first and second rounder and that’s what we paid. Essendon were talking about Wingard or Wines for him.

Dixon we started a first rounder and work around the edges, that’s what happened.

Alir we got for unders. Schulz we got for unders. Finlayson we got for unders.

The JHF and Rioli trade - hard to read with all the moving parts but broadly seems reasonable.

Fantasia hurts but a second and third rounder at the time, for the potential of a fit Raz was not unreasonable. Some media pundits were suggesting a late first rounder or wines for him. Hindsight says it was a bad trade, but that’s a rough way to look at it.

Sinn trade was dumb at the time and worse now. Not sure that was another club holding us over a barrel though.

Tell me which trades were we fleeced on?

I think the club just gets it done with minimal fuss.

Who did we trash on the way out? Wingard and Ladhams just off the top of my head.

Sav - no, the media didn’t have him as a second round pick until late. The whole football world was shocked when Geelong came out with their asking price of a 1st lol. Every man and his dog thought he was a 3rd rounder.

Soldo was in contract, but was in danger of not even getting a contract after it finished. And let’s face it, based on this year, yeah he would have just about or would be cut from Richmond. Can’t stay on the park, wasn’t first 22. Richmond would t have gotten shit if they held onto him. As far as contracted players go there’s not much power when they’re depth, injury prone, have 1 year left and the team holding them faces getting nothing for them the next year.

It’s ridiculous we gave up 3 2nd round picks.

And as for contracted players, lol the ****ing time when we finally have the upper hand supposedly after being on the end of “have to pay up for contracted players” but somehow the narrative changes when it’s port. Zerk was out of contract and set on coming back to Adelaide and the crows had zero interest in him. He was coming to port no matter what. Duursma was contracted , and would have had multiple suitors interested in his hometown. If we held him to his contract there was no guarantee he’s going to essendon the next year.

We should have gotten the far better in that deal easily, just like every other club always does. But we folded like wet tissue paper.

Ryder - lol dons asking for wines or wingard doesn’t mean we got off easy, it was Essendon being ****ing morons. Ryder had walked out on a club and was never going back, and had a big ban hanging over his head. We had all the power and still we folded.

Dixon - paying a 1st and a 2nd for what he’s given us considering how hard kfs are to come by is a bargain, but it’s another case of us being softcocks. I don’t know if people remember but Dixon was known as glass ankles, had never played a full season, then that year he got publically canned by Gold Coast for a bunch of things including his lack of professionalism, had been banned from playing and they had literally told him to pack his bags. .

Gold coast marched him out the door, then a month later played it as if we would be lucky if they let him go to us, and we were dumb enough to buy it.

Alir Schulz and fin we got for cheap for their own reasons, all wanted to leave their clubs and their clubs were more than happy to let them go.

Who did we trash on the way out? Wingard and Ladhams just off the top of my head.

Sav - no, the media didn’t have him as a second round pick until late. The whole football world was shocked when Geelong came out with their asking price of a 1st lol. Every man and his dog thought he was a 3rd rounder.

Soldo was in contract, but was in danger of not even getting a contract after it finished. And let’s face it, based on this year, yeah he would have just about or would be cut from Richmond. Can’t stay on the park, wasn’t first 22. Richmond would t have gotten shit if they held onto him. As far as contracted players go there’s not much power when they’re depth, injury prone, have 1 year left and the team holding them faces getting nothing for them the next year.

It’s ridiculous we gave up 3 2nd round picks.

And as for contracted players, lol the ****ing time when we finally have the upper hand supposedly after being on the end of “have to pay up for contracted players” but somehow the narrative changes when it’s port. Zerk was out of contract and set on coming back to Adelaide and the crows had zero interest in him. He was coming to port no matter what. Duursma was contracted , and would have had multiple suitors interested in his hometown. If we held him to his contract there was no guarantee he’s going to essendon the next year.

We should have gotten the far better in that deal easily, just like every other club always does. But we folded like wet tissue paper.

Ryder - lol dons asking for wines or wingard doesn’t mean we got off easy, it was Essendon being ****ing morons. Ryder had walked out on a club and was never going back, and had a big ban hanging over his head. We had all the power and still we folded.

Dixon - paying a 1st and a 2nd for what he’s given us considering how hard kfs are to come by is a bargain, but it’s another case of us being softcocks. I don’t know if people remember but Dixon was known as glass ankles, had never played a full season, then that year he got publically canned by Gold Coast for a bunch of things including his lack of professionalism, had been banned from playing and they had literally told him to pack his bags. .

Gold coast marched him out the door, then a month later played it as if we would be lucky if they let him go to us, and we were dumb enough to buy it.

Alir Schulz and fin we got for cheap for their own reasons, all wanted to leave their clubs and their clubs were more than happy to let them go.
Think I have to disagree on a few points there. But sure I get everyone thinks Port just accepts whatever gets sent their way.

I agree everyone was surprised that Geelong wanted a first rounder - port included. Port offered a second rounder and thought that very fair. Numerous media pundits felt that was fair and that Geelong over played their hand. Port walked away and focused elsewhere. Player managers, Sav’s in this case, thought port’s offer was fair and appropriate. But sure, you can think he was worth a third rounder, and, on current output, you are correct.

Out of interest:

• what should we have got for Wingard and Duursma? Or Howard and Ryder? Or Impey?
  • what should we have paid for Dixon, Ryder, BZT, Soldo and Sav?
  • which clubs march players to the preseason draft etc?

The aspect that we often overlook is the power of the player agents. Being a club that reliably gets things done and makes it happen for players is important. No agent wants a club that can’t guarantee the player gets where they want to go.

Enough trading in mid/lower-range players.

Use whatever draft picks we can and bring in father-son/Academy players. If we can get a decent free agent, fair enough, that's only salary cap space.

Put Jason Horne-Francis to one side as a trade-in as he is the best of the best, the players I'm most looking forward to seeing coming into our side are Visentini, Scully, Lorenz, Jackson, Walsh, Anastasopoulos/Charleson, McCallum (I haven't given up yet, he could be a 193cm wingman) - even Josh Sinn if we can ever get him fit.

Some of our trade-ins have done a job, Soldo is good but is crocked, Sweet is solid (we should have drafted him anyway), Rioli is magic when he plays.

But it's time to stop mortgaging our future on a lick and a promise and start getting games into youngsters who are showing form at sanfl level.

Houston attracting interest despite having 3 years left. Hes a required player.

We really need a leader, not necessarily the captain who can mentor JHF and Butters on field. Joey Montagna and Jordan Lewis are on the money there. A Luke Hodge kind of player. I think we lack that.

Enough trading in mid/lower-range players.
We do need to bring them in, but it needs to be through Free Agency.

Our depth, especially with the list turnover we might have this year, needs propping up with some AFL ready quality. You just can't afford to be spending 1st/2nd/3rd rounders on all those trades, we need to get some in for free.

We must hold our next years 1st, and at a minimum must hold our 2nd this year.

We do need to bring them in, but it needs to be through Free Agency.

Our depth, especially with the list turnover we might have this year, needs propping up with some AFL ready quality. You just can't afford to be spending 1st/2nd/3rd rounders on all those trades, we need to get some in for free.

We must hold our next years 1st, and at a minimum must hold our 2nd this year.

Which is what I said.

But no more trading early draft picks for mediocre players.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back