Preview Changes & Preview Thread for QF2, 2024 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
kane Cornes, just said 'stewart will not have an ounce of space, Tom if your listening, you will not be all to run around on your own.' then kane was asked who would do this role. he said mcentee.

so boys unfortuantley lock in cheese for finals footbal.

There's a reason they call it Jedtember. No better player for the big moment.

There was a moment during the third quarter of yesterday's game where the ball was suspended in mid air at the top of the goal square and then launched itself through the goals. Just incredible. The goal was credited to the Invisible Man.
If McEntee would like to kick the honourary first goal of the game as part of the pre-game entertainment then I am sure he would do a fine job.

Rozee's last 6 games:

Richmond - 24 disposals at 66% DE, 8 score involvements, 2 goals, 7 clearances

@ Carlton - 24 disposals at 62% DE, 6 score involvements, 3 clearances

Sydney - 27 disposals at 66% DE, 9 score involvements, 1 goal 2 behinds, 1 goal assist, 5 clearances

@ Melbourne - 28 disposals at 71% DE, 5 score involvements, 1 behind, 6 clearances

Showdown - 28 disposals at 53% DE, 5 score involvements, 9 clearances

@ Fremantle - 19 disposals at 68% DE, 6 clearances (poor numbers in relation to the others due to illness).

Outside of the Fremantle game where he was hindered with illness he's been playing at an elite level.
Nothing about that is elite. DE is a trash stat but those are low numbers for a style like his. He's not in and under getting the ball out...

He was pretty shit vs Melbourne. Was at that game live and he was lazy defensively. Had a good last quarter.

He was average at best in the Showdown. Sydney, average again.

And when I say average, I mean exactly that. Not bad but not good.

If I could add into those stat lines the amount of missed tackles, non-chases, not running to support, reaching in, skirting packs etc I think it would paint a story

Maybe I have higher expectations because his ceiling is so high, but he's our #1. Must be better in a fortnight and maybe a run off half back would do him good.

Not a fan of Sinn coming in, still don’t believe he’s up to AFL standard.
Would rather move DBJ back and bring in Narkle up forward.
Give Jed the arse and include Dixon.
Yea I'm worried about him stinking it up under high pressure of a final. No Farrell and Houston big test for our defense. Got to win the midfield battle

Nothing about that is elite. DE is a trash stat but those are low numbers for a style like his. He's not in and under getting the ball out...

He was pretty shit vs Melbourne. Was at that game live and he was lazy defensively. Had a good last quarter.

He was average at best in the Showdown. Sydney, average again.

And when I say average, I mean exactly that. Not bad but not good.

If I could add into those stat lines the amount of missed tackles, non-chases, not running to support, reaching in, skirting packs etc I think it would paint a story

Maybe I have higher expectations because his ceiling is so high, but he's our #1. Must be better in a fortnight and maybe a run off half back would do him good.

The numbers aren't low. You realise not every mid is going to have 30-40 touches yeah? There's only so much ball to go around.
This isn't a midfield with names like Laird and Crouch in it.

I'd back Marshall to have a greater contribution to us winning the game in 20% game time over a full game of McEntee
Is there any reason why Todd couldn’t play tagger on Stewart instead of Jed?
Has the tank and size and can actually hurt him the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll just triple post here

It's 100% fine to not want Marshall in the side, it's fine not to rate him, whether you think he's just really low on form, whether you think he's too soft and will never be good enough (despite having been well and truly good enough in the previous 2 seasons), even if you're a little bit worried about concussion issues. That's all fine.

But the alternative just isn't doing anything. He's not even reaching the bar for what Marshall has done in 2024 where he's had a poor year, let alone Marshall if he finds form. By playing Ratugolea we're setting a fairly hard limit on what we're going to get out of our 3rd KPF. He's like a poor man's Dixon, which is fine if we don't have Dixon, but we don't need 2 players to stand still for hospital balls.

It's like that poster who in ~2010 would argue that we should be picking Matt Thomas ahead of Boak because Matt Thomas offered physical presence. Or those who were happy to see Sam Gray getting games ahead of Butcher in 2014. You have to play the more talented, higher ceiling player.

It's 100% fine to not want Marshall in the side, it's fine not to rate him, whether you think he's just really low on form, whether you think he's too soft and will never be good enough (despite having been well and truly good enough in the previous 2 seasons), even if you're a little bit worried about concussion issues. That's all fine.

But the alternative just isn't doing anything. He's not even reaching the bar for what Marshall has done in 2024 where he's had a poor year, let alone Marshall if he finds form. By playing Ratugolea we're setting a fairly hard limit on what we're going to get out of our 3rd KPF. He's like a poor man's Dixon, which is fine if we don't have Dixon, but we don't need 2 players to stand still for hospital balls.

It's like that poster who in ~2010 would argue that we should be picking Matt Thomas ahead of Boak because Matt Thomas offered physical presence. Or those who were happy to see Sam Gray getting games ahead of Butcher in 2014. You have to play the more talented, higher ceiling player.
In our game plan we actually need two players to stand under hospital high balls.

And in finals that will only become more important as it gets more contest based.

And yes, you can make the argument that toddy is great because he leads and gets lots of uncontested marks on the boundary and Hinkley's game plan stinks.

But the reality is that we are sitting 2nd on the ladder off the back of plonking two big beasts in the forward line and asking them to compete. Thats what has worked so far.

To be clear, if one of the talls got injured I would be happy for Todd to play.

I think you can mount an argument that Toddy should come in over F Evans.

I have nothing against Todd, I just rate what Ratugolea has done for our forward line

kane Cornes, just said 'stewart will not have an ounce of space, Tom if your listening, you will not be all to run around on your own.' then kane was asked who would do this role. he said mcentee.

so boys unfortuantley lock in cheese for finals footbal.
Do we think this is going to work again? Wouldn't Geelong have come up with a counter by now? What have other teams been doing against the Cats?

I don't think it's Esava replacing Marshall, it's more Georgiades replacing Marshall. Without fact checking, the forward line has more movement with Dixon/Esava being big bodies that you need to defend to allow for Georgiades to lead.

Also gives us the option to move Esva to the backlines if our undersized backs get killed.

In our game plan we actually need two players to stand under hospital high balls.

And in finals that will only become more important as it gets more contest based.

And yes, you can make the argument that toddy is great because he leads and gets lots of uncontested marks on the boundary and Hinkley's game plan stinks.

But the reality is that we are sitting 2nd on the ladder off the back of plonking two big beasts in the forward line and asking them to compete. Thats what has worked so far.
I agree with this. At this point I'd rather have Rat up there throwing himself at the contest and being a big body than have a concussed Marshall leave up the river in a final. He's far too great a risk. If we were going to play Marshall I think we would have done it on the weekend.

Ratugolea needs to stay in. Still want to see him with Dixon and Georgiades up there.

Also if something happens to a key back, he can get thrown down back.
Refreshing finding someone here that actually gets it. Insanely good value insurance that safeguards a game changing injury like almost happened last night.

I think we've seen over several years that bombing hospital balls in just isn't a sustainable option once you play the better teams in the pressure of finals football. As the defences get more elite later in September, ground ball pressure based gameplan gets picked apart too often.

I don't think you can credit the forward structure with our position, it's been terrible over the last few weeks. We certainly had more of an impact against Sydney, but that was a sort of all team jack in a box type performance. Apart from that, Since Ratugolea has gone forward we've beaten 3 teams outside the 8 and Carlton who finished 8th and haven't beaten a team above 16th for 10 weeks.

Let's not get too carried away with these sorts of performances. The better teams will have better rebounding defensive setups. We've lost so many finals because we couldn't move the ball apart from hoofing it to Dixon.

I don't think it's Esava replacing Marshall, it's more Georgiades replacing Marshall. Without fact checking, the forward line has more movement with Dixon/Esava being big bodies that you need to defend to allow for Georgiades to lead.

Also gives us the option to move Esva to the backlines if our undersized backs get killed.

Dixon and Esava standing still doesn't generate space for Georgiades. Marshall pulling a key defender up the wing will.

Our backs haven't gotten killed all year, if we're worried we don't have a matchup for Hawkins and Cameron, start Esava in defence. But i'm not particularly worried about that.

2023 comic relief was Billy Frampton becoming a Premiership player.

2024 Jed?

We can't drop Esava. What happens if Allir goes down.

What if Georgiades goes down, and we have another game like we did against Melbourne where our ball movement disintegrates. If Esava is a good break glass in case of emergency player, pick him as the sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back