Lovett to Saints for Ist Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Very fair trade, sad to see Lovett go but atleast we have a strong position in this years draft.

for me its a win/win trade for both teams

Lovett has turned it on against carlton on more than a few occassions and single handedly gotten them over the line. anyone who says he goes missing in big games clearly has no idea

Wasn't convinced until last night, but now pretty happy with the deal.

We don't need a 17 or 18 year old right now, we need a fast mid with great skills. Sure we might only get 3-4 years out of him, but if it can bring home the choccies I don't think anyones gonna be crying their hearts out over Pick 16!

Seems pretty fair, Lovett is almost elite, he's shown in patches he can be in that category. I would've thought he was somewhere between 10-20, so its about right.

Be interesting to see what the bombers do with that pick now. Burgoyne or Fev?

Seems pretty fair, Lovett is almost elite, he's shown in patches he can be in that category. I would've thought he was somewhere between 10-20, so its about right.

Your joking right? Lovett is one of the most overrated players!

Essendon congrats this is a steal. I cant see how he will fit into St. Kilda's side.

Has no defensive pressure and in a side that promotes structure and defence, he will struggle.

Essendon congrats this is a steal. I cant see how he will fit into St. Kilda's side.

Has no defensive pressure and in a side that promotes structure and defence, he will struggle.

Since you live in Adelaide....

Question, how many Essendon games have you seen this year? Let me guess....about 3?

Good get for the Bombers.

I expected Lovett to fetch a pick in the 20s, but the Saints obviously rate him enough, and consider their need great enough, to pull the trigger on pick 16.

There's a fair few St Kilda players that would have fit that description too.... before this year.

Ross' game plan has structure and defence but also promotes moving the ball fast & players playing on at all opportunities. Lovett adds to that perfectly & will allow Montagna, Dal Santo & Gram more opportunities to do likewise.

A great get for a pick that is really relative to about #24.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting to see what the bombers do with that pick now. Burgoyne or Fev?

I'd go Fev, because considering Neagle's a spud, Gumbleton may never get over his injuries and Hurley may end up in jail :D, they could use a forward.

But I don't think they'll get him.
Or Burgoyne.
Unless Pelchen does a Pelchen :D

Essendon win this by a landslide. Lovett is no way worth a first rounder.

I guess St Kilda could try and make him something, but who do they take out of their best 23 to make room for Lovett. Cos for a 1st round pick, I'd be starting him.

Raph Clarke, Steve Milne??

Lovett would easily be in b4 these guys surely

RL is a smart man. Do you seriously think we'd give up a first rounder if he wasn't confident he could mould Lovett into the player we want him as?

He almost turned Zac Dawson into a premiership Full Back ffs.

He's turned a lot of duds into good players for the Saints, I think Lovett is the first one to actually come with the reputation of already being a good player (apart from maybe Schneids). Looking forward to seeing what he can do with Lovett.

I can't believe how many people think Essendon have won this trade easily. I would have thought St Kilda would be pretty happy themselves.

I think Lovett will be a devastating proposition in a good team/midfield. Sure he is a front runner, but if you surround those guys with stars then they are worth their weight in gold (e.g. Headland at Brisbane). Everyone was going on about how they need finishers and guys with pace etc., now people carry on like Lovett is useless and won't help. Not sure if people want to accept how good he is when on song.

Pick 16 is being massively overrated by some people, chances are Essendon (or St Kilda if they kept it) will select someone who turns out to be a dud. And St Kilda's time is now, Pick 16 is extremely unlikely to help them out much winning a flag. Whereas Lovett could be the difference. Well worth the risk.

I can't believe how many people think Essendon have won this trade easily. I would have thought St Kilda would be pretty happy themselves.

I think Lovett will be a devastating proposition in a good team/midfield. Sure he is a front runner, but if you surround those guys with stars then they are worth their weight in gold (e.g. Headland at Brisbane). Everyone was going on about how they need finishers and guys with pace etc., now people carry on like Lovett is useless and won't help. Not sure if people want to accept how good he is when on song.

Pick 16 is being massively overrated by some people, chances are Essendon (or St Kilda if they kept it) will select someone who turns out to be a dud. And St Kilda's time is now, Pick 16 is extremely unlikely to help them out much winning a flag. Whereas Lovett could be the difference. Well worth the risk.
I think you will find that Essendon supporters do not honestly believe that Lovett was useless, but relieved that we got something in return for him.
Pick 16 is better than him walking out and into to the PSD for nothing which he would have done in a heartbeat.
Also we were prepared to move the same guy to Geelong for a third round pick last year.
So compare those two factors and this is they are the reason why Essendon supporters feel they got the better of the deal, in which both parties have done well in.

RL is a smart man. Do you seriously think we'd give up a first rounder if he wasn't confident he could mould Lovett into the player we want him as?

He almost turned Zac Dawson into a premiership Full Back ffs.

He's turned a lot of duds into good players for the Saints, I think Lovett is the first one to actually come with the reputation of already being a good player (apart from maybe Schneids). Looking forward to seeing what he can do with Lovett.

IMO he won't have to do much. At Essendon our only real talented ball winner is Watson, Saints have a much stronger midfield to feed him plenty of the ball, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in your top 5-6 players next year.

Re: Lovett a Saint

I read in the paper that Essendon had almost given up hope of landing a first rounder for him, so this is a good result for them. And one thing I noticed watching the saints play in the finals was they need some pace. They got it. Win-win.

Lovett is a good get for the Saints. Their premiership window will be open for one more season, so best to trade for experienced players who also can address a weakness in the current list. On that score, Lovett will give the Saints some much needed pace and outside run.

LMAO....beter check the age on Riewoldt,Kosi, Dal, Montagna, Gilbert, Fisher, Goddard.........not tomention Armo, Jack Steven, McEvoy,Heyne and Lynch to top up..........think that windows open a little longer.........:D

It is a first round pick, but it's not exactly an early
pick so the saints wouldn't be missing out on much. *awaits Joel selwood esq player to be drafted at 16*

In the last three seasons these are the players to be picked up in the 15-17 range, perhaps giving some idea what player Essendon could land.

15 Mitch Brown
16 Ryan Shoemakers
17 Sam Blease

15 Robert Tarrant
16 Matthew Lobbe
17 Harry Taylor

15 Daniel O'Keefe
16 Mitch Brown
17 Shaun Hampson

So it is a caculated gamble from St. Kilda. Essendon could land a Harry Taylor or a Shoemakers or they could draft a Lobbe or Daniel O'Keefe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lovett to Saints for Ist Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back