News Luke Beveridge meltdown in post game press conference, launches an extraordinary tirade at Tom Morris, apologises

Should Luke Beveridge be suspended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Scott embarrassed North for years with his sooking and melts post match and he didn't even come close to this.

Not sure it requires a punishment, it's just a hilarious reflection on the new meltiest coach in the league.
Think Beveridge has already done himself more long term damage than any fine.

This could be the beginning of the end for him.

Bevo does make a point shouldn't Morris have rung the club first to confirm or deny the leak instead of going straight to the press? a professtional journlist would have done that imo

Bevo was pretty over the line, but I think this is a key point skipped over because he went at Tom Morris so hard.

Reading between the lines, I am thinking Morris leaked the news before Hunter was made aware. It could explain the frequent references to mental health Bevo made, with Hunter previously having taken time off for personal issues.

Bevo does make a point shouldn't Morris have rung the club first to confirm or deny the leak instead of going straight to the press? a professtional journlist would have done that imo

What answer would the club give him? "you'll find out on Tuesday" no doubt. Why bother? Also if his source is solid, which it was, he's good to go.

If you're reporting on personal matters I'd say ring the club first.

On a mid range senior player being dropped? ****ing lol, report it, it's not a big deal. Bevo has blown this up himself.

Ring the club to fact check big stories sure but this is a nothing story.
Not sure why Bevo was even thinking about it at all...

Nathan Buckley gave a great insight on Fox Footy. This was an embarrassing performance by Beveridge and it will only increase the pressure on the club in the next week.

The AFL has been big on respect for umpires but journalists deserve respect too as do all participants in the industry.

I can see the AFL doling out a sizable fine to Bevo in the days to come. $50K or so.

People defending Bevo are missing the point - he didn't even give Morris right of reply...he just yelled at him for 3 minutes straight and then walked out. That's what angry children do, not highly paid professionals that are the face of a reputable sporting organization.

It's absolute semantics whether or not Morris was right or not - which he was in the end given Hunter did get dropped, and Bevo admitted they planned this on the Sunday, and it got leaked. What matters, is that on national tv, during a live conference, an adult behaved like a toddler over the most inauspicious thing you could think of - team selection. It's not like Morris leaked his home address...he got info, and used that info to release a story once his source inside the Dogs gave it to him. That's journalism. Yeah it might not be that pretty or even upstanding, but there is far worse that has been leaked in our game before - the Adam Treloar mental health incident that got leaked and Bevo blew up about, was a good example of something being worth reacting to.

What's even more crazy, is that he obviously spent an inordinate amount of time around this Hunter issue...whilst repeating the same mistakes he made in the Grand Final last year...and letting Petracca run around on his own doing as he pleased. It's deflection at its finest, and to be honest, it's not an issue that he's going to be able to play the martyr over - because it's so f*cking inconsequential lol.
Thanks, I couldn't be arsed typing all that this late for the simpletons.

People defending Bevo are missing the point - he didn't even give Morris right of reply...he just yelled at him for 3 minutes straight and then walked out. That's what angry children do, not highly paid professionals that are the face of a reputable sporting organization.

It's absolute semantics whether or not Morris was right or not - which he was in the end given Hunter did get dropped, and Bevo admitted they planned this on the Sunday, and it got leaked. What matters, is that on national tv, during a live conference, an adult behaved like a toddler over the most inauspicious thing you could think of - team selection. It's not like Morris leaked his home address...he got info, and used that info to release a story once his source inside the Dogs gave it to him. That's journalism. Yeah it might not be that pretty or even upstanding, but there is far worse that has been leaked in our game before - the Adam Treloar mental health incident that got leaked and Bevo blew up about, was a good example of something being worth reacting to.

What's even more crazy, is that he obviously spent an inordinate amount of time around this Hunter issue...whilst repeating the same mistakes he made in the Grand Final last year...and letting Petracca run around on his own doing as he pleased. It's deflection at its finest, and to be honest, it's not an issue that he's going to be able to play the martyr over - because it's so f*cking inconsequential lol.
Nailed it mate. If bevo doesn’t turn this into a circus it’s such an inconsequential story in the long run. Now it’s going to be one of the biggest news stories of the year.

Bevo was pretty over the line, but I think this is a key point skipped over because he went at Tom Morris so hard.

Reading between the lines, I am thinking Morris leaked the news before Hunter was made aware. It could explain the frequent references to mental health Bevo made, with Hunter previously having taken time off for personal issues.

1) not his fault if a club source leaked it first, that's on the Dogs. Clean up their leaks, so match committee doesn't run to a journo first before the player

2) I don't think you need to bend over backwards because a guy had issues because he drove pissed and damaged cars, and then ****ed off from the scene, and was just incredibly lucky he didn't kill someone

Nathan Buckley gave a great insight on Fox Footy. This was an embarrassing performance by Beveridge and it will only increase the pressure on the club in the next week.

The AFL has been big on respect for umpires but journalists deserve respect too as do all participants in the industry.

I can see the AFL doling out a sizable fine to Bevo in the days to come. $50K or so.

Whilst I think Bevo was completely out of line, at the same time I still do think the media get away with way too much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sticky this post honestly

There aren’t many workplaces in the world where grown ass man are allowed to mock and belittle other grown men on live television and I think we have a duty to protect the ones that are still around

LOL you are a dumb campaigner

Watching a replay of On the Couch right now.

Morris says exactly this:

“Big news Lachie Hunter has been dropped…I say dropped of course it’s round 1 he hasn’t played yet this year but he is available for selection, he is not injured, it is not disciplinary, they have simply left him out so HE WON”T PLAY IN ROUND 1.

He was literally shown to be wrong in his concluding claim. I was shocked as he was reporting it thinking how the **** can you be in any position to say who will or won’t play with certainty, we are miles off the final teams being announced.

I think the main problem that Beveridge was trying to get at is that there is a general process that journos are meant to run by i.e., confirming with agents and those associated with the club that something is certain, before running with it. Clearly Morris hasn't done that, and he's hardly the best at that sort of practise in the business.

To be honest, I really don't care that Bevo has gone off at Morris. Yes the issue could have been more important and his blow ups at Barrett have been way more justified, but I do like the fact that he's willing to give it back to the media. We all know how sleazy and useless the AFL media can be, especially Morris and Browne. Media personalities spend all week making comments that certainly affect players personally. They get away with a lot more than they should, and we are all accustomed to it.

Bevo cleary cares very deeply about his players and I love the fact that he's willing to show it in such a domain. The comments about gutter journalism etc and personal attacks should have been left at the door, but this is a serve that the AFL media, by and large, deserve.

Saying Morris is biased because he barracks for Melbourne is the kind of thing I accuse journos on twitter of, glad to see Bevo is just a nuffy like me.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Luke Beveridge meltdown in post game press conference, launches an extraordinary tirade at Tom Morris, apologises

Back