Remove this Banner Ad

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/88478/default.aspx

Adelaide sweated through its first training session of 2010 this morning, running for nearly two hours in a series of tests.

Less than six weeks before the opening NAB Cup game, midfielder David Mackay led the way in a 3km time trial around the Adelaide Uni grounds, posting a personal best 9:59 to finish four seconds ahead of Scott Thompson.

Great work from D-Mac. Also good to see Danger and Walker both posting strong results. Hopefully both will take it to the next level next year :)

Impressive to see Talia is already keeping pace with players like Sloane that have completed a preseason already.

Also impressive to see Schmidt the last man standing in the Goodwin run :thumbsu: I wonder if he'll get a game this year?

How 9:59 compare to the likes of Burton and Van Berlo? From memory they're early 9 minutes, right?

Walker doing well in the run makes me pleased :thumbsu:

Looking forward to heading down on Thursday!

What fantastic pics! The mother in me says "I hope they had sunscreen on - where are their shirts?" The woman in me says..."woo hoo!".

No McLeod in any of those pics? When we were there in December, I commented on his absence from the last training and Matt Rendell said "It's McLeod, he can do whatever he likes!" to which I replied "I guess he's earned a few brownie points over the years". Rendell smiled and nodded.

Good to see Richie Douglas up there as well- it's a big year for him, his fitness doesn't seem to be an issue and really, its now or never for him. If he steps up, he could add another dimension to our midfield for years to come, if he doesn't step up he'll only ever be a solidish type of player.

Good to see Richie Douglas up there as well- it's a big year for him, his fitness doesn't seem to be an issue and really, its now or never for him. If he steps up, he could add another dimension to our midfield for years to come, if he doesn't step up he'll only ever be a solidish type of player.

Fantastic for Douglas. Assuming Talia ran a 10:15 or quicker (as he did recently) this must put Douglas in the low 10mins.

Also good endurance for walker, up there with the midfielders.

Less than six weeks before the opening NAB Cup game, midfielder David Mackay led the way in a 3km time trial around the Adelaide Uni grounds, posting a personal best 9:59 to finish four seconds ahead of Scott Thompson.

Chris Knights and Richard Douglas were next, followed by a group including Taylor Walker, Bernie Vince and Patrick Dangerfield, and then a short break to Will Young, Rory Sloane and Daniel Talia.

Impressive to see Talia is already keeping pace with players like Sloane that have completed a preseason already.

Also impressive to see Schmidt the last man standing in the Goodwin run :thumbsu: I wonder if he'll get a game this year?

How 9:59 compare to the likes of Burton and Van Berlo? From memory they're early 9 minutes, right?

Walker doing well in the run makes me pleased :thumbsu:

Looking forward to heading down on Thursday!

I think around 9:30 from memory. I think Reily also runs sub 10min so he was also probably not running.

I think around 9:30 from memory. I think Reily also runs sub 10min so he was also probably not running.

Ta for that. Getting within 30 seconds of the likes of VB and Burton is very good to see.

Incidentally I've watched Walker do a Goodwin run-esque drill before and that kid is fit as a fiddle. He's not fast, but he is damn fit, he was always leading his pack and never broke stride.

What fantastic pics! The mother in me says "I hope they had sunscreen on - where are their shirts?" The woman in me says..."woo hoo!".

No McLeod in any of those pics? When we were there in December, I commented on his absence from the last training and Matt Rendell said "It's McLeod, he can do whatever he likes!" to which I replied "I guess he's earned a few brownie points over the years". Rendell smiled and nodded.

McLeod never does any of the running sessions and hasn't done for years, thanks to his knees, he'd probably be inside doing some bike work or something.

Great to see Dougie right up there, he's an extremely talented player when he gets it all to work, but his fitness has been an issue for a few years now, hopefully this means he's actually put some work in to fix it up. If he can iron out the deficiencies in the game, IMO he could be a very important player for us, we need some genuine A-grade quality midfielders to step up now and Dougies at that age where he should really start to do this now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What exactly is the goodwin run? A beep test type drill?

Something kind of like that but with resting jogging periodically. Basically it's a run where you have to sprint full pelt one leg, then run half-pace the next, then sprint the next, and so on. It's designed to replicate the kind of running that occurs in a footy match where you never really stop moving but only move at full pace half the time.

Generally they set up a rectangle and expect you to run each side of the rectangle in a set time, so on the shorter sides you can go slower, and if you do get there before the time runs out you get a couple seconds rest.

Young up there with the best is very very promising as well.

Also great to see Otto out and about at least warming up with the main group.

What exactly is the goodwin run? A beep test type drill?

A combination between repeat sprints and a beep test IIRC

Mackay scares me for next year. Your batch of youth is really looking very promising indeed, it's a real pitty about Otten. Definitely like watching the Crows play, and for mine are similar to the Pies in recent times where young players frequently fill gaps (or are in the 22 by right) and perform to a high standard straight away.

Looking at the training photos, its fair to say that Mackay hasn't bulked up in the off-season. He is looking more like a marathon runner than a footballer :eek:

where did Birdman finish?, pictures showed him running so it is unusual for Birdman not to be first across the line

looking at the photo's, Thompson and Knights look in great shape :thumbsu:

pleasing efforts from Mr Smooth, Tex and Dougie

where did Birdman finish?, pictures showed him running so it is unusual for Birdman not to be first across the line

looking at the photo's, Thompson and Knights look in great shape :thumbsu:

pleasing efforts from Mr Smooth, Tex and Dougie

They mentioned that some of players who had already done enough to not need to runs still did portions of the race to set the pace for the actual runners. Perhaps Burton was one of them?

KUNG FU - It's a good point about Young. He's probably one of the few that seem in contention for next year who we know almost nothing about athletically. It wouldn't be unreasonable for a young tall a couple of years out of the game before being recruited to be unfit but apparently he's up there :thumbsu:

joxstrap - Appreciate it dude, it'll certainly be interesting watching Crows and Collingwood play this year, I reckon they're two sides very much on the up :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mackay shines as Crows return - 4/1/2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back