Preview Marsh Week 2 - Hawthorn v Melbourne - UTas Stadium - Friday March 6, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

It says in the article Big boy didn’t make the trip, but he’s been named at CHB??
Definitely just a mistake in the article, was training with the team a few hours ago.

Look, want to make it clear I reeeeaaally like the kid.
But, he averages just under 10 kicks and 6 handballs a game.
It's damn good we feel comfortable and assured with the footy in his hand about to drop on to the boot, but lets not pretend he's Andy McLeod averaging 25+ possies a game and devastating other teams with his play.
Don't think the oppo put ANY time at all looking at how to minimize his offensive ability, however would spend a heap of time trying to work out how to get their player some free space when being covered by BH.
He's shut down and I love that, but until he learns to leave his opponent when he senses we have the ball and run himself ragged becoming an option to get it back upfield, his play is what it is.

Edit: Oh, and to add, he's an absolutely terrific mark in space and when having to read it and intercept or compete with others who have more size, though we saw alot more of it in his first few seasons than we have recently.....

I think you’re getting a bit tongue tied there.

First, who’s suggesting Hardwick is Andrew McLeod? Why the comparison?

Why is it an issue of Hardwick running off his opponent to become an option up field. Surely he’s doing what the coaches ask of him which is why he’s so highly regarded by the coaches. Perhaps the coaches aren’t wanting him, or telling him, to “run himself ragged”. I’m sure they’re not telling Stratton to run himself ragged (and he’s no Andrew McLeod either).

I think Hardwick has been fulfilling his role perfectly.

Tell me if I’m at cross purposes with you because I found your post confusing.

Pretty good indication of the round 1 side.

Obrien not recovered but named an emergency?

Read somewhere he got a poke in the eye last week, so probably rested for that and to see how Patto and Lewis go together.

Hoping Scrimmers gets some decent game time and performs well and then it is really an audition between Greaves and CJ for a Round 1 spot.

MARSH 2 SQUAD
Hawthorn v Melbourne
UTAS Stadium
7.40pm.

B:
Ben Stratton, James Frawley, James Sicily
HB: Sam Frost, Ben McEvoy, Isaac Smith
C: Harry Morrison, Chad Wingard, Tom Scully
HF: Paul Puopolo, Mitch Lewis, Jaeger O’Meara
F: Luke Breust, Jonathon Patton, Oliver Hanrahan
Foll: Jonathon Ceglar, Tom Mitchell, James Worpel
I/C: Jack Scrimshaw, Shaun Burgoyne, Conor Nash, Liam Shiels, Changkuoth Jiath, James Cousins, Damon Greaves, Conor Glass
Emer: Michael Hartley, Emerson Jeka, Tim O’Brien, Harrison Jones

sounds like Damon is the closest to a debut. Although CJ looks the closest to ‘cementing’ a spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’re getting a bit tongue tied there.

First, who’s suggesting Hardwick is Andrew McLeod? Why the comparison?

Why is it an issue of Hardwick running off his opponent to become an option up field. Surely he’s doing what the coaches ask of him which is why he’s so highly regarded by the coaches. Perhaps the coaches aren’t wanting him, or telling him, to “run himself ragged”. I’m sure they’re not telling Stratton to run himself ragged (and he’s no Andrew McLeod either).

I think Hardwick has been fulfilling his role perfectly.

Tell me if I’m at cross purposes with you because I found your post confusing.

Yeh, it was just a trail of posts that went approx - from someone else - 'big worries for us as so many outs in the backline will lead to lack of synergy', to which I suggested not that much synergy needed as our defense plays more accountable footy with not a tonne of combination and runs that would need everyone being used to eachothers mannerisms - and included Hardwick who I think plays more Stratton than McLeod in style, to which stillAtlarge said - "Hardwick has the highest d.e. of anyone in our back 6, his footskills are a massive loss. Yes, he mightn't bite off as much as a player like Sicily does with raking 55 m passes but his ability to pick the right option and hit them 9 times out of 10 will be glaringly absent."

Which is where I leaned in with 'it's ony 10 or less kicks a game' so he doesn't devastate the oppo by either weight of possession going the other way or by evisceration like Sicily is able to do. The loss of his kicking won't be missed as much as his ability to do a shut down job on an opposition very good small.
:thumbsu:

Chad Wingard named smack bang in the middle. I’m crying as a post this.

very excited to see Chad, Titch, Jaegar and Worps play together

very interested to see mids rotate forward

I like the ball being brought to ground and us bagging goal after goal but I also like

clunks - and they’re better be some tonight or I’m not watching

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Marsh Week 2 - Hawthorn v Melbourne - UTas Stadium - Friday March 6, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back