Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s laird already thinking about Racheles celebrations back in year 11
Stare Dave GIF by Derek Tee

If that's the case then he needs to request a trade this year.

Players have been dropped a zillion times before for punishments and theyve never made a press release. Its all coincidence and timing. Public and media outcry, what better way to silence it than for the person in question to release a statement backing the club.

Players have been dropped a zillion times before for punishments and theyve never made a press release. Its all coincidence and timing. Public and media outcry, what better way to silence it than for the person in question to release a statement backing the club.
That's why I said if he was forced to do that then he need to request a trade.

Blighty would
--- get Smith to clean out his locker and thank him for his service. Probably Walker too.
--- delist Murphy, McHenry, Gollant, Hately, Cook. Maybe O'Brien too.
--- scour the SANFL and Interstate for highly-skilled young talent and play them asap AND back them in.
--- drop underperforming players, regardless of seniority.
--- TEACH the midfield how to play.
Forget blighty, he is a unicorn that our club won't find again in a hurry. Finding the next one might go beyond my lifetime with how the club approaches things

100% correct

It would be because he'd previously been told to pull his head in, then did this.

So Nicks is being devious in that he was dropped for not following directives about "team first" behaviour.
Just imagine the scene at AO if this week was a home game.
But then again, the wimp wouldn't have done it.
I hope whatever supporters we have in Sydney this week really get vocal about Nicks. Lots of booing every time he shows his fly struck scone.

P.s. regarding flys...they naturally gravitate towards things that smell especially bad and often dead.

Forget blighty, he is a unicorn that our club won't find again in a hurry. Finding the next one might go beyond my lifetime with how the club approaches things
Similarly, I fear that I'm running out of enough years to celebrate another AFC Flag :weary: :cryv1:.
It won't happen under Nicks whose ineptitude, flaws and weaknesses are becoming more and more obvious by the day. His "I-want-to-clarify" presser yesterday was as bad as the Pyke-Burton farce (below).
Even if he's sacked mid-next year, it'll take the new Coach at least 3-4 years to win a Flag. That's taking us into 2029-30, fmd.

Last edited:
Hinkley has gone into bat for a lot of his players, they genuinely do play and want him.

Its also one of the reasons he hasnt been sacked.

Im not sure the same can be said about Nicks.
Hinkleys problem is that he has a great midfield… and the rest is dogshit.. and its been like that for a long time at port..

Their list is ****n shite.

Few (maybe 5) elite players trying to win games whilst carrying a whole heap of players that would be fringe types at other clubs.

Look what can happen in a rebuild after 2 years with a really good rookie Coach and a team fulla keen kids!
Latest news from today:
"The Crows* will play AFL finals for the first time in six years after annihilating North Melbourne by 124 points in Launceston.
Seventh before the final round of the regular season, the in-form Crows* needed to beat the Kangaroos on Saturday to secure a spot in the top eight.
They did it in style, with Tex Walker* kicking four goals and Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Keays* kicking three each in the 26.14 (170) to 7.4 (46) romp.
The Crows* were 0-4 to begin the season but have surged into their first finals campaign since 2018, winning 14 of their past 18 games.
Adelaide* piled on 10 goals in the final term for their biggest-ever win over North. "

Oh, one thing. Substitute Hawthorn or Hawthorn players' names for every * above. :weary: :cryv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Olson also part of the problem. Typical self serving politician. Won't sack Nicks because to do so would be to admit it was his mistake and he is responsible.
Olsen needs to give Nix the David Spiers treatment...

Hinkleys problem is that he has a great midfield… and the rest is dogshit.. and its been like that for a long time at port..

Their list is ****n shite.

Few (maybe 5) elite players trying to win games whilst carrying a whole heap of players that would be fringe types at other clubs.

Put Luko at CHF that might change.

Ahhhh how good is this!
Could finish his coaching career with a 10+ goal loss.

But the head of football said we would put in a huge effort this week...

At what point does Nicks concedes defiet and resigns? I could understand had he made finals at least once. But we havent.

Our list is a mile off. We had our best side on the park aside from Rachele and Rankine and got smashed. They rested their star players, had injuries to some key players and played bruise free football and they still was able to phone this match in.

That is damning againt Nicks. That is damning on the happy clappers who defend Nicks.

From earlier this year.

Young player. Talented. Crying out for help. Feels isolated. Club recognises communication is an issue (ironically—via a Rory laird press conference).

Even outsiders on the panel (both of whom respected leaders with flags to their name) recognise it is an issue with regards to leadership and mentoring players, and discuss how their own clubs approached this to make the out of form players feel included.

Contrast this to the crows. Can’t imagine Laird reaching out and saying “how can I help you and include you” between his 30 backward handballs.

This week has demonstrated how our club reacts versus the other more successful clubs (Geelong, Richmond, Sydney). Speaks volumes. It’s quite sad, really. Pathetic organisation.

Last edited:
At what point does Nicks concedes defiet and resigns? I could understand had he made finals at least once. But we havent.

Our list is a mile off. We had our best side on the park aside from Rachele and Rankine and got smashed. They rested their star players, had injuries to some key players and played bruise free football and they still was able to phone this match in.

That is damning againt Nicks. That is damning on the happy clappers who defend Nicks.

Why would he resign. Probably on over 500K a year for a guy who would struggle to fill shelves at Coles

If he has any pride, he quits this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back