Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading through this thread and being reminded of the decision to re-sign Nicks early in the season. God help us. We can take it as a given that none of the club leadership will have the decency to resign and take accountability for that baffling decision.

Who will they throw to the wolves now? Surely they'll feel the need to sack someone as they go through the motions of this 'review'?
Rachele.

Longmuir's winning record is 15 percentage points higher than Nicks

Nicks isn't even in the same discussion when it comes to calibre of coach
I gotta be honest, I shake my head at your logic, everytime you post ........sorry, I don't want to be mean, but have you tried thinking a bit deeper than direct comparisons ....I know you're fairly inexperienced, but a rebuild versus a mature team is not a direct statistical comparison

I gotta be honest, I shake my head at your logic, everytime you post ......
Goodfellas GIF

I gotta be honest, I shake my head at your logic, everytime you post ........sorry, I don't want to be mean, but have you tried thinking a bit deeper than direct comparisons ....I know you're fairly inexperienced, but a rebuild versus a mature team is not a direct statistical comparison
1724660681524.png

"Mature team"

I thought the same. Interesting guy (not in a good way).
In life, it's not always about group think .....most societal leaders are actually very independent thinkers & couldn't give a toss about the majority opinion .....just name a few, Elon Musk, Dan Andrews, Don Dunstan, and Dick Smith

Group thinkers, are simply spectators in life ;)

Freo a mature team?? You’re a condescending BOZO

That's a very easy graph to understand.
Which had zero to do with the point Scorpus was trying to make ....which was the career comparison, not this year

But given the audience ...... Nicks win/loss % is far better than Clarkson's over the last 2 years

See Scorpus how useless stats can be without deeper comparisons

Yep, we didn't get the start to the season correct .....missing Thilthorpe and Murray was huge ....playing Rankine fwd, with our midfield quality, being an issue .....but most on this board wanted Rankine fwd
OK ... so, here you blame the posters who wanted Rankine played forward.
Do you realise that nothing, absolutely nothing, that is posted in here affects Nicks' decisions?
Do you realise that it was NICKS who put Rankine forward and Nicks who selects and decides who goes into the midfield?? :confusedv1:

Btw,Murray was injured last year --- Nicks had all of the pre-season to reset and rally the backline.
Players being young & hearing from the Adelaide fishbowl media, Finals was a mere formality .....did get in front of themselves
Ah OK, so, here you blame the players for getting ahead of themselves.
Nothing that Nicks did or said about ..."embracing the pressure from the expectation of playing Finals" ?? :confusedv1:
(I must have dreamed that :rolleyesv1:).
But, you'll never convince me, that with such a young list, the injuries weren't going to be impactful .....our depth is to young to make any difference .....Edwards, Curtin, Dowling, Taylor ect, don't change team fortunes, they merely compliment a team
Two things:
--- every team has young players, some around the youth and inexperience of us (eg Hawthorn, who are playing 2024 Finals)
--- every team gets injuries; the fact that we were adversely affected so strongly is on the list people who get players in to the Club and, yes, Nicks (again) for not developing them
--- the word you're looking for is "complement" (NOBODY in AFL compliments our team; we're a laughing stock).
Oh, ok three, THREE things ... :sneaky:
Our problem remains, as everyone can see, is the Midfield .....Crouch was **** for most of this year, with his handball crabbing and failing to use space in front of him .....however his last two games was the Crouch of late 2023, kicking V handball & fwd
OK, here you blame the mids, especially Crouch, but you ignore the fact that Nicks selects them and decides when they play.
Only love for Laird who is absolutely ineffective in the midfield, a lazy and unaccountable stats-accumulator?
Soligo, despite his obvious talent ...struggles to play every game at a high level, struggles defensively as a Mid ....but the kid is 21 YO ....and he shouldn't be the #1 or #2 mid for another 2 years
OK, here you blame Soligo, but his use and selection is also on Nicks.
Finally, the Coach ....yeah every young Coach makes mistakes, but that's not the reason for the year .....he can only be judged on the list at his disposal ....and everyone acknowledges the list is thin, inconsistent, but developing
Finally, you get around to Nicks, but he's not to blame. You excuse what he's done (ruin our team) because he's young, the list is bad ("thin, inconsistent, but developing"), injuries (above).
Got News for you and it's all bad:
He's not a "young Coach" any more, WW; this was his fifth year. Given leeway for 2020 and 2021, he Coached us to 14th, 10, now 15th (again). 2022, 2023, 2024 are proof of his inability to teach/Coach and motivate our players to win.
He uses the list abominably. He has no ****ing idea of who to play where, or of game style or of game-change-nuances that need quick and imaginative decisions.
The list is not "inconsistent", it is what it is. NICKS is inconsistent, because he doesn't know his butt-cheeks from his fly-tarmac scone.

The buck stops with Nicks whom you defend incredulously again and again in spite of his obvious incompetence. The man is not an AFL Coach's shithole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longmuir's winning record is 15 percentage points higher than Nicks

Nicks isn't even in the same discussion when it comes to calibre of coach
The only coaches comparable to Nicks have all been sacked... usually well before 5 years... because they are incompetent.

It's unbelievable some still think Nicks can suddenly become a good coach after 5 years.

So naive.

Just more what transpired through the week with Rachele

Not sure he was 100% behind what played out
:think: :think: :huh:
I dunno, mate.
Your speculation involves some mind-reading or interpretation of Dawson's body language/mannerisms that I am not game enough to agree with.

It might be what you've suggested, but we'll never know.
I'm looking forward to Keane's return, his decision and his reasons behind them, whether he stays or goes.

OK ... so, here you blame the posters who wanted Rankine played forward.
Do you realise that nothing, absolutely nothing, that is posted in here affects Nicks' decisions?
Do you realise that it was NICKS who put Rankine forward and Nicks who selects and decides who goes into the midfield?? :confusedv1:

Btw,Murray was injured last year --- Nicks had all of the pre-season to reset and rally the backline.

Ah OK, so, here you blame the players for getting ahead of themselves.
Nothing that Nicks did or said about ..."embracing the pressure from the expectation of playing Finals" ?? :confusedv1:
(I must have dreamed that :rolleyesv1:).

Two things:
--- every team has young players, some around the youth and inexperience of us (eg Hawthorn, who are playing 2024 Finals)
--- every team gets injuries; the fact that we were adversely affected so strongly is on the list people who get players in to the Club and, yes, Nicks (again) for not developing them
--- the word you're looking for is "complement" (NOBODY in AFL compliments our team; we're a laughing stock).
Oh, ok three, THREE things ... :sneaky:

OK, here you blame the mids, especially Crouch, but you ignore the fact that Nicks selects them and decides when they play.
Only love for Laird who is absolutely ineffective in the midfield, a lazy and unaccountable stats-accumulator?

OK, here you blame Soligo, but his use and selection is also on Nicks.

Finally, you get around to Nicks, but he's not to blame. You excuse what he's done (ruin our team) because he's young, the list is bad ("thin, inconsistent, but developing"), injuries (above).
Got News for you and it's all bad:
He's not a "young Coach" any more, WW; this was his fifth year. Given leeway for 2020 and 2021, he Coached us to 14th, 10, now 15th (again). 2022, 2023, 2024 are proof of his inability to teach/Coach and motivate our players to win.
He uses the list abominably. He has no ****ing idea of who to play where, or of game style or of game-change-nuances that need quick and imaginative decisions.
The list is not "inconsistent", it is what it is. NICKS is inconsistent, because he doesn't know his butt-cheeks from his fly-tarmac scone.

The buck stops with Nicks whom you defend incredulously again and again in spite of his obvious incompetence. The man is not an AFL Coach's shithole.
You seem very agitated by my giving MY OPINION .....I was asked to summarise the year

If you don't like my opinions, or posts ...simply skim past them

The only coaches comparable to Nicks have all been sacked... usually well before 5 years... because they are incompetent.

It's unbelievable some still think Nicks can suddenly become a good coach after 5 years.

So naive.
His record is lagging behind:

Gerard Neesham
Scott Watters
Matthew Knights
Wayne Brittain
Danny Frawley

And what about Longmuir .....two years out of the Finals, with one of the best midfield's in the AFL ....there should be questions asked of him ....no excuses, few injuries
What about Longmuir??
I'd take 3 years of Longmuir over 3 of Nicks in a heartbeat:
YearsClubGames (W–L–D)
2020–Fremantle108 (53–53–2)

You're willing to extend endless feeble, illogical excuses to Nicks (34% winning), but not apply any of them to Longmuir who has a 50% record?
Who are you, really? A close friend or rellie of Nicks, or Nicks himself?? Fmd.

His record is lagging behind:

Gerard Neesham
Scott Watters
Matthew Knights
Wayne Brittain
Danny Frawley
The main point is there is not a single coach who has had near Nick's record (or worse) that has gone on to be a successful coach.

There is no chance Nicks is going to deliver us success, so we are wasting everyone's time, players careers & supporters's sanity by persisting with him.

We need hope, but we have none with Nick's remaining as coach. This is why there will be a record number of membership cancellations for next season.

I've crunched the numbers on every AFL coach since 1995 who has led a team for more than five years, and the results are downright infuriating. Matthew Nicks isn’t just struggling—he’s an absolute disaster.

With a pathetic win percentage of just 35.92%, Nicks is dead last. And it’s not even close. The next worst is Chris Connolly at Fremantle with 48.11%, and Neale Daniher at Melbourne is slightly better at 49.32%. Surely that can't be correct?

I've crunched the numbers on every AFL coach since 1995 who has led a team for more than five years, and the results are downright infuriating. Matthew Nicks isn’t just struggling—he’s an absolute disaster.

With a pathetic win percentage of just 35.92%, Nicks is dead last. And it’s not even close.
The next worst is Chris Connolly at Fremantle with 48.11%, and Neale Daniher at Melbourne is slightly better at 49.32%. Surely that can't be correct?
Not to mention you really need to remove the Eagles and North wins from this as, its very misleading as one poster on here previously noted.

His win percentage is even worse, its around 29%.

With a pathetic win percentage of just 35.92%, Nicks is dead last. And it’s not even close. The next worst is Chris Connolly at Fremantle with 48.11%, and Neale Daniher at Melbourne is slightly better at 49.32%. Surely that can't be correct?
Because clubs (except ours) don't take 5 years to work out a coach is incompetent.

Ours just extend the pain... because we are run by muppets.

Because clubs (except ours) don't take 5 years to work out a coach is incompetent.

Ours just extend the pain... because we are run by muppets.
We pack AO home games, so there is nothing to see here, everything is running smoothly.

The only way to send a message is for supporters to stop buying memberships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back