Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Im yet to see anybody give an alternative ? So we sack nicks for who ?another untried novice and then watch the melts on this board in 2 years to sack them

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Those comments are what’s allowed Hinkley to coach for this long. Who else you gonna get. I tell you who Anyone.

I always benchmark everything ....rookies, other team trends ....as you know, I watch every game of every round ....and then study stats extensively

It's certainly not the first time a very young team has hit a hurdle in developing .....even last year, the Club was talking about development not being linear
So the big question is .....is this an event or a trend ?

COLL missed the Finals after winning a flag ....they had just 2-3 key injuries ...but enough to unbalance them & remember COLL have one of the oldest and most experienced lists

CARL ....were easily making the top 4 for most of the year ....and only luck had them scrape into 8th spot
IMO supporters would be justified questioning Voss, given the quality & experience on his list

I could add another 3-4 teams .....so what makes the Crows season standout ?

Yep, we didn't get the start to the season correct .....missing Thilthorpe and Murray was huge ....playing Rankine fwd, with our midfield quality, being an issue .....but most on this board wanted Rankine fwd

Players being young & hearing from the Adelaide fishbowl media, Finals was a mere formality .....did get in front of themselves

But, you'll never convince me, that with such a young list, the injuries weren't going to be impactful .....our depth is to young to make any difference .....Edwards, Curtin, Dowling, Taylor ect, don't change team fortunes, they merely compliment a team
No 2-4 game player is going to make a difference to an outcome .....but then the fall-off of Laird & Smith was dramatic ....the injury to Milera consequently was huge, given the need by all teams for a distributor off HB

Rookie players games played in year 1 is fairly standardised across the industry, if you look at the history
Curtin - 4 games
Dowling - 8 games
Taylor - 6 games
Bond - 4 games

Our problem remains, as everyone can see, is the Midfield .....Crouch was **** for most of this year, with his handball crabbing and failing to use space in front of him .....however his last two games was the Crouch of late 2023, kicking V handball & fwd
Soligo, despite his obvious talent ...struggles to play every game at a high level, struggles defensively as a Mid ....but the kid is 21 YO ....and he shouldn't be the #1 or #2 mid for another 2 years

Taylor is a ripper, and I expect big things ....Nankervis another ...but I don't think people allow for these footy baby's at 20 - 21 yo ....they're a long way off being consitently good players

Finally, the Coach ....yeah every young Coach makes mistakes, but that's not the reason for the year .....he can only be judged on the list at his disposal ....and everyone acknowledges the list is thin, inconsistent, but developing

One year blip ....yep, people will accept ....2 years, nah, it's becoming a trend then
How is a winning percentage in the 20% over 5 years a one year blip?

Im yet to see anybody give an alternative ? So we sack nicks for who ?another untried novice and then watch the melts on this board in 2 years to sack them

Shame on people for wanting to change things up, if something’s not working you don’t stand still waiting for something to change.
The real question is given we’d be losing a lot, would you be around to see the melts?

This is all well and good while they are winning. There would be very different story if they were losing.
But if that makes players play better, why would they change it winning or losing.
Thats the stupid part from Nicks, if Josh thinks he plays better like that, who is nicks to tell him to reign it in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if that makes players play better, why would they change it winning or losing.
Thats the stupid part from Nicks, if Josh thinks he plays better like that, who is nicks to tell him to rein it in?
Because when you are losing but players are still happy and celebrating a goal, what does that say to supporters? ‘As long as they are happy is what’s important”. I’m telling you, when they start losing, the press will pounce.

Because when you are losing but players are still happy and celebrating a goal, what does that say to supporters? ‘As long as they are happy is what’s important”. I’m telling you, when they start losing, the press will pounce.
A coach can clear that up pretty easily with his above statement about playing better when they celebrate.

You realise the irony in all this Jen don’t you?
Having a “go” at the “negatives” on here for not being excited over the last 7 years, yet you’re suggesting players shouldn’t be excited if they aren’t winning either.

Absolutely. The press pounced on Rachele, WE pounced on Rachele. That’s the difference between winners and losers.
We helped the press pounce on him with bloody Laird and nicks.
Things would have died down and we stoked the fire and then dropped him.

I actually don't understand this logic.

So we keep a mediocre coach at the club out of concern that we may end up with another mediocre coach?

Maybe if we were in Port's position I could understand the argument that there was an element of risk in a changing of the guard, but the reality is that we finished bottom 4 this year.

There's nothing to lose by replacing Nicks.

Last edited:
I actually don't understand this logic.

So we keep a mediocre coach at the club out of concern that we may end up with another mediocre coach?

Maybe if we were in Port's position I could understand the argument that there was an element of risk in a changing of the guard, but the reality is that we finished bottom 4 this year.

There's nothing to lose by replacing Nicks.
It’s the same mentality that kept Rob in the side for so long.
We dropped him and it didn’t work but now we know we need a ruck.

Why does it need to be an untried coach.

Buckley/Rutten/Dew/Simpson are available and would all be upgrades on Nicks.

This is all well and good while they are winning. There would be very different story if they were losing.
Depends on the response and how its communicated

It seems your concern is media driven and how fans will react. Some fans wont like anything but that final moment. Then spend the off season worrying if the team can do it again - you ignore them

With the media its how the message is communicated. We have seen a few issues over the last month where we have failed to address the issue but other clubs have and its disappeared

Stengle V Ginnivan V Rachele - which in your opinion is worse

On the balance of info Stengle ( to me ) is the worst and the other 2 a mile away. Yet because of how we addressed it Rachele is the super villain.

He isnt. It just seems he is . It doesnt help he had 5 months to think about it.

Yes celebrations look silly when you are 5 goals down but if it lights a spark then so be it

Current coaches who were “untried novices” when they started:

John Longmire
Chris Scott
Adam Kingsley
Chris Fagan
Sam Mitchell
Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back