Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on the response and how its communicated

It seems your concern is media driven and how fans will react. Some fans wont like anything but that final moment. Then spend the off season worrying if the team can do it again - you ignore them

With the media its how the message is communicated. We have seen a few issues over the last month where we have failed to address the issue but other clubs have and its disappeared

Stengle V Ginnivan V Rachele - which in your opinion is worse

On the balance of info Stengle ( to me ) is the worst and the other 2 a mile away. Yet because of how we addressed it Rachele is the super villain.

He isnt. It just seems he is . It doesnt help he had 5 months to think about it.

Yes celebrations look silly when you are 5 goals down but if it lights a spark then so be it

The whole silly Rachele thing is when he kicked the goal we were one point down and then we went on to kick the next two goals in the match.

The thing that killed us that game is the Rankine hit (we were a goal up at that point) then our senior players and leaders not focussing on the game which was very similar to when we gave Sydney an extra goal earlier in the season (Hinge one of our supposed leaders having a brain fade).

We need leaders who focus the group, not leaders who try and be tough. And that is a responsibility of the coaches as well.

Nathan Buckley
Adam Simpson
James Rahilly
Leon Cameron
Luke Hodge

Just to name a few options
Any of them better than Nicks.
James Rahilly deserves a chance. Hodge from a winning culture.
Simpson is a premiership coach. Lost another GF. 6 seasons as a finalist at WCE.
He is the type to take on a readymade side. Forget the last 3 years .They have killed his legacy. :(

And I like the idea of a former player coaching here.
My only caveat is its not Goodwin and they have spent a fair crack away from the AFC

Rutten does fill that need

My only concern is how easy it would be to slip back into the boys club mentality

To explain - as a player under some of the old guard still remaining would he truly push back or would he slip into whatevers easy

I like the idea of Rutten.

Coached Essendon to Finals, only sacked as they thought they had Clarko.

Coached under Hardwick.

Was a no nonsense player and club leader.

I don't want anyone who played under Neil Craig.

I like the idea of Rutten.

Coached Essendon to Finals, only sacked as they thought they had Clarko.

Coached under Hardwick.

Was a no nonsense player and club leader.

Did you ever listen to any of his press conferences?

He sounded like a complete dullard who seemed to have very little footy IQ other than prattling off stats.

I just don't rate those coaches who coach via analytics on a laptop, I'd prefer us to go after someone with an actual footy brain who doesn't need a laptop to tell them who is or isn't playing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jade Rawlings?

Any of them better than Nicks.
James Rahilly deserves a chance. Hodge from a winning culture.
Simpson is a premiership coach. Lost another GF. 6 seasons as a finalist at WCE.
He is the type to take on a readymade side. Forget the last 3 years .They have killed his legacy. :(

Simpson needs a break but if Nicks is struggling in mid 2025 then make the call and see if he is interested.

I still want Bassett.

Pros:
  • He actually wants to win
  • He would shake up the club
  • He's kinda nuts about it
  • Can't think of him being involved in camps
  • Has Hair
He'd never get the job with the current admin

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back