Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Supporters are unhappy with Brad Scott, Voss, Hinkley, Longmire .....anytime a Club is losing, supporters bring the knives out .....most of the time they have no idea about the game, or reasons ....they're just on an emotional journey with the Club

The 4 Coach's I mentioned, at times have their Club has played irresistible footy ....other times pittsville footy

The problem is when supporters are so fixed to a POV, they can't see the improvements
And our improvement this year was what?
I wouldn’t have thought too many would be unhappy with Longmire.

He played 3 games the year he was traded for picks 32 and 47 and never played a game for us. He was cooked.

C'mon old man. Lets keep it to quality - entrenched best 22 players.

For reference - in my argument - I haven't used ANB in my argument. He makes it 4/4.

He is a 170+ game premiership player that was 6th in a B&F for a premiership team.

nana changing GIF

You missed the part where I said a team that looks like it’s on the up.
North just reinforces the point that players probably don’t look at the coach as much as being portrayed.
It’s cash, position in the team and location all before the coach I’d suggest
West coast don’t look like they are on the up yet, did we have any players request trades to us in the 18-21 period?

Interesting Clarko struggling to attract players to North but not when he was at Hawks. And this very obvious point, even highlighted by Waynus himself, totally lost on them.

And our improvement this year was what?
I wouldn’t have thought too many would be unhappy with Longmire.

This year was a clear backward step - not all on Nicks though. Club as a whole got ahead of themselves
Our style of play - and the momentum we had - in 2023 was encouraging enough for the club - definitely not all supporters - to give him a second chance

If we had played finals - and given it was Carlton it may have been 2! - then this year would have been better tolerated

But it was terrible on many levels - Nicks got the game plan adjustments wrong, we went in 5 players down on previous year and this cannot be understated, we lost a clearly good AC and didn’t replace

The thing that actually disappointed me the most - outside the losing - was the handling of Rachele. So poorly done

Nicks career will be decided in the first 6 weeks of next year. If we are 4-2 or better then the club did well to stick by him. Any worse though and pressure will become enormous - regardless of the draw
Even round 1 is almost a non negotiable entering the season

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He played 3 games the year he was traded for picks 32 and 47 and played 13 games for us.

C'mon old man. Lets keep it to quality - entrenched best 22 players.

For reference - in my argument - I haven't used ANB in my argument. He makes it 4/4.

He is a 170+ game premiership player that was 6th in a B&F for a premiership team.

32 and 47 for a player off a torn achilles. What did we get for Keath and Greenwood, who posters like you claim was part of a deliberate rebuild that caused our spoon to occur?

Why its meaningful? Its meaningful because in our 33 year history we have only attracted 8 best 22 players from other clubs (I quoted 7 earlier but forgot Gibbs). 3 out of the 8 have come in the past 3 years. Thats very meaningful.

Dawson ended up 2nd in our 2022 B&F and won the B&F in his 2nd year as Captain. Rankine came 4th in his first year at the club. How is the addition of these two players anything but meaningful?

How can it not be meaningful that we have stolen 3 players from other clubs in a 3 year period when in the first 30 years as a club we only poached 5 (1 every 6 years). Its a stark difference.

You tried to say its not very meaningful because we had additional resources because we have been down so long. Thats a bullshit argument. Lack of resources is never an issue with recruiting players - look at all the top teams that are able to recruit stars.

The recruitment of Dawson, Rankine and Cumming is one of the only positives our club has had over the past 7 years.

Again, nothing you've said makes out any significance whatsoever.

We've recruited more players while rebuilding. Ok. So what? Do we have the resources to get Rankine without being rubbish, both in cap and trade?

It seems you're making a very great many conclusory leaps from little more than Dawson and Rankine wanting to return home. It's an extremely small sample size.

Again, nothing you've said makes out any significance whatsoever.

We've recruited more players while rebuilding. Ok. So what? Do we have the resources to get Rankine without being rubbish, both in cap and trade?

It seems you're making a very great many conclusory leaps from little more than Dawson and Rankine wanting to return home. It's an extremely small sample size.
Easiest thing in the world, to critique someone's detailed post ....without having to put up any counter argument, stats wise

Makes this post irrelevant

You know it wasn't the way you're trying to portray it ......and you conveniently only mention Dawson and Rankine .....Dawson, who this whole board was convinced would choose Port

32 and 47 for a player off a torn achilles. What did we get for Keath and Greenwood, who posters like you claim was part of a deliberate rebuild that caused our spoon to occur?
Forget this useless argument .....Keath & Greenwood wanted superannuation contracts, thus bogging down two list spots ....as has occurred at NORTH and WB

We wanted to free up list spots for youth ....something everyone always complains about (Smith / Sloane)

Of course if you release experience & bring in youth, you're going to falter .....only a novice would suggest otherwise

Does anyone really believe the perception of Matthew Nicks is the same now as when we recruited Dawson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone really believe the perception of Matthew Nicks is the same now as when we recruited Dawson?
You're still trying to understand the coaching hierarchy at the Crows .....a bit hard therefore for you to suggest anything

Still waiting for you to define it with Adelaide the city ;)
I'll take that as "I have no idea" .....but it's a throw away line too often used, without those saying it, having any clue

No it’s you can’t define culture yourself even after being asked many times.
Unfortunately for you, that was part of my career, and consultancy .....tearing down and rebuilding cultures .....what do you think change managers do ?

Until you define it, you have no-where to start .....and damn if I'm going to waste my time trying to explain it on a forum, to someone who just won't understand, or will push back out of ignorance

Unfortunately for you, that was part of my career, and consultancy .....tearing down and rebuilding cultures .....what do you think change managers do ?

Until you define it, you have no-where to start .....and damn if I'm going to waste my time trying to explain it on a forum, to someone who just won't understand, or will push back out of ignorance
So you want me to define it, but you have no intention of doing it yourself.

Easiest thing in the world, to critique someone's detailed post ....without having to put up any counter argument, stats wise

Makes this post irrelevant

You know it wasn't the way you're trying to portray it ......and you conveniently only mention Dawson and Rankine .....Dawson, who this whole board was convinced would choose Port

I don't think he needs your 'assistance' brain rot.

You're still trying to understand the coaching hierarchy at the Crows .....a bit hard therefore for you to suggest anything
Of course I'm trying to understand it. We have Burns as a "senior assistant" and as our forward line coach. These are usually separate roles. I get that Burns is essentially Nicks's 2IC but I'd like to know whether his role is actually the same as other senior assistants in the league because it seems unreasonable to expect him to do the work of two people.

Of course I'm trying to understand it. We have Burns as a "senior assistant" and as our forward line coach. These are usually separate roles. I get that Burns is essentially Nicks's 2IC but I'd like to know whether his role is actually the same as other senior assistants in the league because it seems unreasonable to expect him to do the work of two people.
Fair question ....which is probably why the Club is seeking to bolster the Coaching ranks

The Soft cap includes all the footy dept ....where the club spends the money, we don't know ....but it's reasonable to hypothesise that Burgess and his team are not cheap

With the cap being lifted, the extra coach appears to be the area to spend that on

Fair question ....which is probably why the Club is seeking to bolster the Coaching ranks

The Soft cap includes all the footy dept ....where the club spends the money, we don't know ....but it's reasonable to hypothesise that Burgess and his team are not cheap

With the cap being lifted, the extra coach appears to be the area to spend that on
So why troll me about it if it's a fair question? Stop trying to deflect. Do you really think that a new coach would have the same reputation as a guy with 5 years and no finals? There comes a point where the discussion moves from what a guy could be to what he actually has been.

So why troll me about it if it's a fair question? Stop trying to deflect. Do you really think that a new coach would have the same reputation as a guy with 5 years and no finals? There comes a point where the discussion moves from what a guy could be to what he actually has been.
The Industry is silent on Nicks ....the Adelaide media is silent on Nicks ....there's your answer

If you don't know why, look deeper at the arguments presented by a wide range of figures ....just don't be a lemming though

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back