Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Scott “we have got to be a little bit careful that we don’t assume we do things better than everyone else”.

Matthew Nicks “at no point did anyone question the path that we are on”

Matthew Nicks “success isn’t the absence of failure, it is persistence through failure”

Everything makes sense now

It was a really awful and uninspiring speech wasn't it?
It sounded similar to a politician who knows he/she is about to be turfed out. Very defensive and much shorter than his usual waffle.

Matthew Nicks “success isn’t the absence of failure, it is persistence through failure”

Everything makes sense now
That one slowed me down a bit - which is probably the purpose of it

Sounds good and you miss the next sentence

The Club must believe that it's the list and the players themselves and the Assistants who are responsible for the nightmare of the last FIVE years. 18th-15th-14th-10th-15th is about everybody but Nicks.
By doing all the above the Club has absolved Nicks and backed him fully.
For the life of me, I cannot see why unless it's to deflect attention/responsibility from the people that gave him 2 more years.
5 years of nightmare is an overkill statement. Yes, we were an absolute shambles in 2020, but understandably with a very young squad. The next 3 years, we had shown a near linear improvement, and that’s all we can really ask of a team who just won their wooden spoon.

The question now becomes, was this season the upper limit of Nicks’ coaching ability or a mere anomaly, and not reflective of recent years’ trend? Is there enough data that will tell us either way for next season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you reckon everything has been awesome?
No, I think we have been shite since 2017, but it takes time to turn the curve.

I rather be optimistic than pessimistic, there is more upside than not and feel we will spike in our performance sooner than later.

If 2025 gives the same outcomes without reasonable cause then I'll change my mindset.

I rather be optimistic than pessimistic, there is more upside than not and feel we will spike in our performance sooner than later.

If 2025 gives the same outcomes without reasonable cause then I'll change my mindset.
We also need to be realistic about calling out the club where they have not performed up to standard... or you are just accepting mediocrity.

We can only blame ourselves for not making the finals this year... not injuries or other pathetic excuses the club has rolled out.

At least rhe club have got aggressive with trading & boosting the coaching staff... unlike last year when they were hopeless!

Do you think the club would have got this aggressive if the membership hadn't been making noises that we have become fed up with the mediocre performances?

This needs to be discussed, here it is in all it’s glory 🤦🏻‍♂️

Starting a speech at a Club Champion dinner by potting people for criticising the club in a season which you finished 15th was a bold strategy by a bald coach.

gNbmwo102Z1_MxxzV1ggpHQr2VI=.gif

This wasn't as bad as i expected based on the responses. The worst part was about the people outside the club not understanding, if he'd tempered that by saying they have to get better results to prove those critics wrong it would've been a bit better.

We'll see what selection looks like next year, he knows he's gone if they fail again. Though i hope the internal mark isn't just making finals but a winning final.

5 years of nightmare is an overkill statement.
To you, mate, not to me.
7 years without playing Finals at all.
26 years since our last Flag and 5 years of Nicks, with nearly twice as many losses as wins.
It's been a nightmare for me, with occasional waking moments in the sun when we beat PA or jag a win against a Top 6 side.
Yes, we were an absolute shambles in 2020, but understandably with a very young squad.
... and a rookie Coach who took us from 11th to 18th.
I can forgive Nicks for 2020 and 2021, but the man is still making rookie-Coach selections, Game Plans, use of subs, and seems to have learned nothing at all about the nuances of Game Day strategy.
The next 3 years, we had shown a near linear improvement,
15th to 14th to 10th is hardly earth-shattering, John.
and that’s all we can really ask of a team who just won their wooden spoon.
I disagree, strongly.
Why can we not ask for more? I refuse to lower my expectations because we were 18th in 2020.
Look at Hawthorn and Sam Mitchell; they're on the up and likely to do even better in 2025.
The question now becomes, was this season the upper limit of Nicks’ coaching ability
Look at the last 3 years, 11th to 10th to 15th. There's your answer.
or a mere anomaly, and not reflective of recent years’ trend?
Nope. He's a dud.
Is there enough data that will tell us either way for next season?
Again, nope. With the delistings and trade-ins we should have a better playing group, but we still have Nicks.
WHY does Nicks need so much 'help'?
Why did we need to get Davis?
Why does Nicks need better Assistants?
Because he's a failure.
In every main Coaching-measure Nicks has been the Lowest Common Denominator (and I do mean 'Lowest') and is not good at any of them except maybe for the Kumbaya Factor of a happy group, which finished 15th in 2024.

Chris Scott “we have got to be a little bit careful that we don’t assume we do things better than everyone else”.
Yeah, after 12 years of Finals in 14 Seasons.
That man takes nothing for granted.
Matthew Nicks “at no point did anyone question the path that we are on”
What the actual ...? Did he really say that!?
He's deluded. Clueless. Kidding himself, but he doesn't fool us.

Great POV 👏

There's been a lot of ignorance exhibited around how lists are built .....mistakes made, which apparently, we're the only Club who makes mistakes

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back