Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he starts slowly next year and hasn't made changes, then I can see him going by mid year.
We know one bad loss can kill a Coach .....however also one great win can seal a new Contract

IMO Nicks will get a two year Contract renewal over the PS

I think he's been mostly good for the rebuild but I'm sure how much further he can take us.

I certainly don't think he can get us a flag
Do you still hold this opinion ?

Last night was Finals Footy ....that's the type of team Nicks has built ....a team that's capable of playing fast electric, and high scoring footy .....but also the ability to get in the trenches and duke it out

Top 4 sides - COLL, PORT, BRIS, and MELB
COLL - 2 point and 1 point loss
PORT - 2 wins
MELB - 4 point loss
BRIS - 17 point win
Anyone who thinks we haven't improved, or we're not on an upward curve ......or Nicks can't Coach ....think again

Last night was Final Footy ....that's the type of team Nicks has built ....a team that's capable of playing fast electric, and high scoring footy .....but also the ability to get in the trenches and duke it out

PORT - 2 wins
MELB - 4 point loss
BRIS - 17 point win
Anyone who thinks we haven't improved, or we're not on an upward curve ......or Nicks can't Coach ....think again
It’s as if those stats mean nothing to some.

Imagine we’re told preseason we’ll get those stats against the top 4 teams in 2023, would any Crows fan not gladly take it?

Last night was Finals Footy ....that's the type of team Nicks has built ....a team that's capable of playing fast electric, and high scoring footy .....but also the ability to get in the trenches and duke it out

PORT - 2 wins
MELB - 4 point loss
BRIS - 17 point win

Im not completely sold, but even though Ive been more than vocal on my disapproval I think he has done well enough to earn another year unquestioned. The Crows should look to wait though and make a sound extension decision next year. There is no rush as I dont think he has earned an extension yet. We have to have high standard and Nicks is still trying to prove he is capable of taking the squad to the next level.

Things we have to take into account.

Port are cooked. They wont go past the semi finals and we played a grand final against them.
Melbourne took the foot off the accelerator and we made them pay and almost stole it. They were still the better team.
GWS - we should have won but yet again we looked flat.
Collingwood - Couldn't hold the lead when we should have

Patience is the key. I want Nicks to succeed. I want to be proved wrong and bagged for not believing if it means we have success. I think everyone against Nicks would happily agree with this. All I want is to not blindly follow without the evidence. For now though Nicks will be coach in 2024 and Im fine with that.

It’s as if those stats mean nothing to some.

Imagine we’re told preseason we’ll get those stats against the top 4 teams in 2023, would any Crows fan not gladly take it?

A loss is a loss is a loss. Honourable losses if accepted become the norm. Yes we played well but those losses should never be accepted. Especially if we are in front. The win against Brisbane was good but they have proven to be inconsistent this year and well..how much can we really take from it. All good though.

Im not completely sold, but even though Ive been more than vocal on my disapproval I think he has done well enough to earn another year unquestioned. The Crows should look to wait though and make a sound extension decision next year. There is no rush as I dont think he has earned an extension yet. We have to have high standard and Nicks is still trying to prove he is capable of taking the squad to the next level.

Things we have to take into account.

Port are cooked. They wont go past the semi finals and we played a grand final against them.
Melbourne took the foot off the accelerator and we made them pay and almost stole it. They were still the better team.
GWS - we should have won but yet again we looked flat.
Collingwood - Couldn't hold the lead when we should have

Patience is the key. I want Nicks to succeed. I want to be proved wrong and bagged for not believing if it means we have success. I think everyone against Nicks would happily agree with this. All I want is to not blindly follow without the evidence. For now though Nicks will be coach in 2024 and Im fine with that.
I think what it boils down to is continual improvement. If Nicks can give more and better outcomes than he keeps the coaching gig. Anything else is just a side-job to the main objective - can the players continue to improve?

One thing I will say is that this year the entire club is moving forward with both the AFL and SANFL results, so Nicks deserves some praise for this in the least.

he should get a 1 year extension.
I can understand that POV .....IMO though, you either make up your mind he is the Coach you want, or if you're unsure, let the Coach play out his Contract

A loss is a loss is a loss. Honourable losses if accepted become the norm. Yes we played well but those losses should never be accepted. Especially if we are in front. The win against Brisbane was good but they have proven to be inconsistent this year and well..how much can we really take from it. All good though.
“A loss is a loss is a loss” is too black and white thinking. This isn’t the reality of sports.
There are losses where it’s demoralising and you can remain in the bottom teams for lengthy periods from said loss.
Then there are losses where you think “we’re good enough”, and this is the mindset of how top teams end up.

Those teams are in the top 5

Of course they are gearing up with a more experienced squad

That's the biggest fail of a retort I've ever seen
That's why they are top 4 teams. It's what people have been saying for weeks. It's a large part of why we aren't a top 4 team, our games experience isn't there yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PORT - 2 wins
MELB - 4 point loss
BRIS - 17 point win

Why would it have changed?

I said I wanted more consistency in performance not that we’re not capable in an individual.

He shouldn’t get 2 years over the pre-season. He should either get a 1 year’s extension or wait til the second half next year if we’re likely to make finals.

I can understand that POV .....IMO though, you either make up your mind he is the Coach you want, or if you're unsure, let the Coach play out his Contract

I don’t think we know either way yet. Being better culturally is the lowest of bars after the Pyke/Burton/Campo/Fraudan $h!tshow. There’s zero points for that. I’m comfortable giving him a pass for our spoon season even though we only lost bit/fringe/cooked players and retained 18 or so of our preferred 22. To this point we’ve seen some good signs in terms of team performance but we’ve also seen philosophies that inhibit development of a contending 22. 2 years on top of next season is too much. Although, if your ambition is to be able to consistently compete for the bottom half of the 8, sign him up for 10, hrs definitely capable of that. The ? is whether he has what it takes to coach a group to multiple years around the top 4.

I don’t think he has it and I’m pretty much reminded weekly. But I can understand why others feel differently. But those that do are generally those that support club employee decisions no matter what.

As George Kramer mentioned, ‘Sloane in the 22 is rubbish = you’re a negative Nelly and hater’ and then Sloane to sub = great call coaching group’. Your type loves to have it both ways, but it’s pretty obvious.

I think most on here would love Hardwick if he wanted to coach us. He is the guy who Richmond wanted to sack after the team had not met the expectation of supporters after more years than Nicks has been at our club! He was a no good coach who somehow got Richmond 3 flags!!!! As I have said previously, great coaches are hard to find (and even harder to convince to coach your club). Coaches, like players, have to develop their skill sets and the only way to do that is by coaching against the best in the business. We all rave about Tex these days, But I remember the number of years it took him to get where he has been for the past several years. All I ask is that supporters been fair and rational in making assessments about players, coaches etc. At times I think we have as many (and maybe more) feral supporters than the mob we call feral!!!

Showdown wins plus performing admirably against the top-tier teams. Particularly also in showdowns where Port is clearly top-4 material during the season.
I should update my Spreadsheet for 1950 (is it?) or the whingey old guy whatever his username is. We are SO CLEARLY the best performing team against the top 4 in terms of wins, winning % and overall for/against % thats its not even funny. And to think people are now writing off form against top teams to further insipid arguments against Nicks. Imagine if we were 0-6 against the top 4 and had won all low/medium teams games...

PORT - 2 wins
MELB - 4 point loss
BRIS - 17 point win
good analysis mate and spot on IMO. Lets wait for the Axis of STO, 1950 and Elite crow (still trying to determine why you would label yourself 'Elite' - despite all evidence to the contrary - on an internet forum haha) respond to this one

I think what it boils down to is continual improvement. If Nicks can give more and better outcomes than he keeps the coaching gig. Anything else is just a side-job to the main objective - can the players continue to improve?

One thing I will say is that this year the entire club is moving forward with both the AFL and SANFL results, so Nicks deserves some praise for this in the least.
this is the key point. This year has been the big jump in improvement. No serious person can argue with this. Total wins, results vs top 4 teams, player development, overall % and with a bit more luck could easily have snagged 2-4 more wins

this is the key point. This year has been the big jump in improvement. No serious person can argue with this. Total wins, results vs top 4 teams, player development, overall % and with a bit more luck could easily have snagged 2-4 more wins
Like the umps in the Collingwood game at the G. They should all be sent to Specsavers. And then the AFL explanation that they just missed seeing the infringement. If they had awarded the deserved penalty, we would now be 10 and 9. Not 9 and 10.

I think most on here would love Hardwick if he wanted to coach us. He is the guy who Richmond wanted to sack after the team had not met the expectation of supporters after more years than Nicks has been at our club! He was a no good coach who somehow got Richmond 3 flags!!!! As I have said previously, great coaches are hard to find (and even harder to convince to coach your club). Coaches, like players, have to develop their skill sets and the only way to do that is by coaching against the best in the business. We all rave about Tex these days, But I remember the number of years it took him to get where he has been for the past several years. All I ask is that supporters been fair and rational in making assessments about players, coaches etc. At times I think we have as many (and maybe more) feral supporters than the mob we call feral!!!
Same lynch mob as tried to get rid of Mark Thompson .....B4 the run of flags

Interesting, I was listening to a leading American speaker on leadership in sport ....his view was there are 3 ingredients you look for in a Coach:

1. Humble
2. Hungry
3. Smart

He mentioned, whether Hardwick would still have the hunger, after 3 premierships ? .....IIRC only two Coaches have gone to another Club & claimed a flag

He also said, having players is very important .....as is the chemistry amongst the group .....I'm guessing "Jacko" Jackson wouldn't help team chemistry .....or Capper

IIRC we've been in front of 5 games at 3/4 time, and lost .....we snag 2 of those games, and we're playing Finals

We're that close .....that said, the ESS game was the most devastating & moral sapping game, I've experienced in the last 3 years !

Don't think ESS have won a game since :(

I should update my Spreadsheet for 1950 (is it?) or the whingey old guy whatever his username is. We are SO CLEARLY the best performing team against the top 4 in terms of wins, winning % and overall for/against % thats its not even funny. And to think people are now writing off form against top teams to further insipid arguments against Nicks. Imagine if we were 0-6 against the top 4 and had won all low/medium teams games...
Its normal they change any narative to suit their arguement like tonight it was port are cooked , melbourne took their foot off to let us back in , no guys guess what nicks CAN coach our group have never been this closely knit and bought into each other we are ahead of where people thought we would be and guess what if you think nicks wouldn t be snapped up by another club as their coach you are clueless or dumb as dog shit

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

PORT - 2 wins
MELB - 4 point loss
BRIS - 17 point win

Definitely a positive.

You only looked at the positive. Plenty of negativity around Nicks. Just from the first 8 rounds he cost us 3 games directly.

Round 1 - GWS - Nicks fluffed it. Midfield rotations were terrible. Stuck with Berry and an underperforming laird all game and introduced Brown as the sub only to ineffectually tag Coniglio. Gave up a big lead. Nicks massive fail.

Round 2 Tigers - Deliberately went in a tall short. Richmonds 3 talls kicked 8 on us and cost us. Riley Thilthorpe as the sub a brain dead decision.

Round 7 Magpies - Pulling Soligo after his 3rd quarter when he was top 5 on the ground clearly cost us.

We have improved, but how much of that is the maturation of the player group and addition to Dawson and Rankine.

I tend to think if we had a coach who had an ounce of tactical nous - we would be talking about top 4 this year.

Are you ok little guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back