Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were looking at Top 6, 3 weeks ago ......but the two unacceptable losses to GWS (home) and ESS, put paid to that

The GWS game is an anomaly .....41 degree heat, the type of heat GWS train in regularly .....but I do agree, we went too hard too early ....like young colts off a leash

The RICH game was a physical hangover from the extreme heat the week B4 .......IIRC we were leading again, before being run over late ....as we physically tired from the week B4

I prefer to discuss the poor GWS and ESS performances .....they were the key losses
The Gold Coast game was pretty bad too.

The Gold Coast game was pretty bad too.
People say stuff like this as if Clarkson never had any bad games or Harwick never had any bad games as they were building a team prior to premierships.

You can't go these games particular games were bad so Nicks is a bad coach without looking at the overall building and improvement, recruitments and re-signings under his tenure. To do so is disingenuous.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

People say stuff like this as if Clarkson never had any bad games or Harwick never had any bad games as they were building a team prior to premierships.

You can't go these games particular games were bad so Nicks is a bad coach without looking at the overall building and improvement, recruitments and re-signings under his tenure. To do so is disingenuous.

Who is doing that?

Who is doing that?
You haven't been reading this thread or the selection thread very well. There have been the "we need to get rid of Nicks" and "he'll never coach a premiership" type posts littered everywhere.

They will point to micro events like a particular game, or selection or he's smiling too much with players etc so he's a bad coach.

You haven't been reading this thread or the selection thread very well. There have been the "we need to get rid of Nicks" and "he'll never coach a premiership" type posts littered everywhere.

They will point to micro events like a particular game, or selection or he's smiling too much with players etc so he's a bad coach.

I reckon I’ve read it more than you. You threw up a loss and said “other good coaches have had bad losses, you shouldn’t use that to show Nicks can’t coach”. The issue is that wasn’t even the point being made.

The issue with Nicks is errors he continues to make and he’s made some pearlers and continues to. Curious, what was your opinion when the team was announced Thursday night? Happy with it? Pretty sure you came bouncing in calling posters whingers who weren’t happy Soligo wasn’t in and Sloane was. Then what do you know, Nicks changed it. Were you happy again?

I guess there was a distinct trajectory.

Clarkson took over a 4 win team then went - 14th, 11th, Semi Final,Flag
Hardwick took over a 5 win team then went - 15th, 12th, 12th, QF, QF, QF, 13th, FLAG

Nicks after taking over a 10 win team went - 18th, 15th, 14th, and now we are sitting 13th. He is 79 games into coaching. Missing the finals should mean that we don't extend him.

Still if he makes the finals - I would happily extend and hope the club brings in a senior assistant that has tactical abilities.

Whats disingenuous is not looking at the big picture.

Nobody is denying Nicks has overseen a list rebuild, we are in a much much better position than we were when he took over in late 2019. The recruitments have been pretty spot on and re-signings have been great.

The question now - is what do we need moving forward? The culture has been rebuilt - we have an emerging list stocked full of first round draft picks and some very good veterans.

What we need is someone to take us to the next level. The question is whether Nicks is that guy.

So those Josh Carr fans you know the Powa's midfield coach Josh Carr and supposedly the genius behind Hinkley with a stacked young midfield group at his disposal.

Can you please explain to me how NVB's below par (according to some on this board) midfield group of supposed plodders including a player that has been referred to as garbage by several "knowledgeable" board posters absolutely obliterated Mr. Carr's bevvy of stars?

So those Josh Carr fans you know the Powa's midfield coach Josh Carr and supposedly the genius behind Hinkley with a stacked young midfield group at his disposal.

Can you please explain to me how NVB's below par (according to some on this board) midfield group of supposed plodders including a player that has been referred to as garbage by several "knowledgeable" board posters absolutely obliterated Mr. Carr's bevvy of stars?

Thought ROB actually gave first use to our blokes pretty well (against a novice) which obviously significantly helped.

Was interesting though, our pressure just caused ostensibly good players to fumble, under the slightest pressure a lot of Port players barely took a clean ball all night.

Thought ROB actually gave first use to our blokes pretty well (against a novice) which obviously significantly helped.

Was interesting though, our pressure just caused ostensibly good players to fumble, under the slightest pressure a lot of Port players barely took a clean ball all night.
Good answer.

So Mutineer seeing you are now giving credit to NVB for our midfield performance, surely you’re critical of him when we’ve been beaten in there right? Right???

we are in a much much better position than we were when he took over in late 2019
2019 Adelaide finished 11th with a 10-12 record and 100.9% (they were 8th on the ladder and had a near identical record at this point in the season too, just lower percentage.) They went into the last round still a chance for finals but were eliminated before their last match.

2023 Adelaide are likely to beat the 2019 wins and losses this year. But they're also no certainty to either finish higher on the ladder nor to still be alive for finals for as long.

"Better" position is open to interpretation. "much much better" out of the question unless there's a miraculous winning streak.

Good answer.

So Mutineer seeing you are now giving credit to NVB for our midfield performance, surely you’re critical of him when we’ve been beaten in there right? Right???

And this is why game by game opinion (most of what’s on this board) is complete BS

So George. Nicks just beat the second team in the comp with a trash midfield and several key players unavailable. The style of play the team executed was brilliant. He must be a tactical genius?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I even recall one example when he double-palmed it down straight to one of our guys! I took a while to recover my composure.

Where the young oppo guy did well was around the ground where he stuck very close to ROB and harrassed him mercilessly.

And this is why game by game opinion (most of what’s on this board) is complete BS

So George. Nicks just beat the second team in the comp with a trash midfield and several key players unavailable. The style of play the team executed was brilliant. He must be a tactical genius?

Agree, that’s why I don’t form my opinion on coaches off one game, so not sure why Mutineer and you just did.

2019 Adelaide finished 11th with a 10-12 record and 100.9% (they were 8th on the ladder and had a near identical record at this point in the season too, just lower percentage.) They went into the last round still a chance for finals but were eliminated before their last match.

2023 Adelaide are likely to beat the 2019 wins and losses this year. But they're also no certainty to either finish higher on the ladder nor to still be alive for finals for as long.

"Better" position is open to interpretation. "much much better" out of the question unless there's a miraculous winning streak.

It's hardly apples vs apples though is it. We had 2 regular u23 players in 2019 (Milera & Murphy). 6 players 30+ at the start of the season, with another 9 27yo+. To finish 11th with a list that old and experienced was a travesty, with absolutely no green shoots coming through - Fogarty got 4 games and Jones got 8. That's it. The entire club was circling the drain, and playing some of the most boring, uninspiring football we've ever seen.

Current Under 23's(start of year) who are regular best 22 players now: Michalanney, Soligo, Rankine, Jones, Murray, Worrell, Thilthorpe, Rachele, Pedlar.
Throw in guys like Schoenberg, Nankervis, McHenry, Sholl who have all played multiple games this season.

We're 3-3 against the top 4, and the highest scoring team in the league. The only 30+ player we're reliant on is Tex. We've still got plenty of issues (midfield, some baffling selections, away form, fadeouts) and Nicks hasn't put it to bed that he's the man to take us to a flag yet. But I can't see how anyone can honestly argue that it's "open to interpretation" as to whether we're in a better position compared to 2019.

It's hardly apples vs apples though is it. We had 2 regular u23 players in 2019 (Milera & Murphy). 6 players 30+ at the start of the season, with another 9 27yo+. To finish 11th with a list that old and experienced was a travesty, with absolutely no green shoots coming through - Fogarty got 4 games and Jones got 8. That's it. The entire club was circling the drain, and playing some of the most boring, uninspiring football we've ever seen.

Current Under 23's(start of year) who are regular best 22 players now: Michalanney, Soligo, Rankine, Jones, Murray, Worrell, Thilthorpe, Rachele, Pedlar.
Throw in guys like Schoenberg, Nankervis, McHenry, Sholl who have all played multiple games this season.

We're 3-3 against the top 4, and the highest scoring team in the league. The only 30+ player we're reliant on is Tex. We've still got plenty of issues (midfield, some baffling selections, away form, fadeouts) and Nicks hasn't put it to bed that he's the man to take us to a flag yet. But I can't see how anyone can honestly argue that it's "open to interpretation" as to whether we're in a better position compared to 2019.
Until very late into last year (at the earliest), you could have made the absurd statement that Milera, Murphy, Fogarty and Jones had all played their best footy before 2020.

There was also Doedee and Stengle (remember him lol) in the age range you've arbitrarily determined. You could make the claim that Doedee exceeded his previous high standards under Nicks. While the situation with Stengle is so embarrassing for the club it borders on farce.

Also there have been a few upset wins over premiership contenders now. But none of them have resulted in anything other than complacency in other weeks. 3-3 against the top 4, implies 6-7 against the bottom 13. Of which, two of those wins have been rubbing the nose of incompetent opposition in the dirt at home.

Spot on. Our mids put the wind up Rozee and Butters by tackling them hard at every turn. Snowflakes. Great on the outside but pea hearts.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on. Our mids put the wind up Rozee and Butters by tackling them hard at every turn. Snowflakes. Great on the outside but pea hearts.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is incorrect it was Crouch and Butters that met like two bulls on the 50m line.

Exactly, and yet you roll in after wins and then go missing after losses. A win here a loss there makes no difference to my assessment, I've held it for about 3 years. He's a bottom of the 8 coach because he lacks the ruthless edge required to be successful. Not being able to drop Sloane on selection night is yet another example of his weak mindset.

Exactly, and yet you roll in after wins and then go missing after losses. A win here a loss there makes no difference to my assessment, I've held it for about 3 years. He's a bottom of the 8 coach because he lacks the ruthless edge required to be successful. Not being able to drop Sloane on selection night is yet another example of his weak mindset.

The Happy Clappers don't see anything wrong and they just see every win as validation but never discuss the losses unless they are approved honourable losses. Port maybe second on the ladder but they aren't a top 4 team. We beat a mediocre average joe team on the weekend who wont win a final. They are cooked.

The Happy Clappers don't see anything wrong and they just see every win as validation but never discuss the losses unless they are approved honourable losses. Port maybe second on the ladder but they aren't a top 4 team. We beat a mediocre average joe team on the weekend who wont win a final. They are cooked.

it's a pretty open season, only really Lions at the Gabba look like a dominant top 4 side.

It's nice that our midfield was able to beat Port and Brisbane, but it's not nice that same midfield lost to Essendon and Gold Coast (and nearly lost to Hawthorn)

Our record speaks for itself really. Good wins, shit losses, sitting outside the 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back