Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
2024 edition,

Any mature agers standing out or overlooked kids worth keeping an eye on? Im a relaxed VFL watcher and a few from the VFL have caught my attention

Sam Davidson from Richmonds VFL program has starred since coming across from Gippsland. He is probably close to favourite for the Fother-Round-Mitchell medal for most promising player under23. 190cm marking forward with a turn of speed and good skills.

Matt Foley from Essendon's VFL program has been a warrior in defence. Was NGA eligible but we passed and wouldn't surprise if someone took a punt on him. Reasonable with ball in hand, pace seems ok enough. Id draft him as a small lock down defender

Cam Nyko is the other one from our VFL program. Good skills, hard at it, 19 so plenty of upside.

Any one else you'd consider watching?

2024 edition,

Any mature agers standing out or overlooked kids worth keeping an eye on? Im a relaxed VFL watcher and a few from the VFL have caught my attention

Sam Davidson from Richmonds VFL program has starred since coming across from Gippsland. He is probably close to favourite for the Fother-Round-Mitchell medal for most promising player under23. 190cm marking forward with a turn of speed and good skills.

Matt Foley from Essendon's VFL program has been a warrior in defence. Was NGA eligible but we passed and wouldn't surprise if someone took a punt on him. Reasonable with ball in hand, pace seems ok enough. Id draft him as a small lock down defender

Cam Nyko is the other one from our VFL program. Good skills, hard at it, 19 so plenty of upside.

Any one else you'd consider watching?
We screwed up badly by not taking Davidson in the midseason draft.

I'm going to say it until I'm blue in the face but Kobe Ryan absolutely deserves a crack at AFL level.

Averaging 25 disposals, 9.7 tackles and 6.3 clearances a game as a 20 year old is more than enough to warrant a shot.
yeah he has been phenomenal for us the last couple of seasons but i reckon his team mate sam frost might get a few eyes on himself finally putting together a full season. probably has that size and strength that clubs are after.

Just posted this on the Essendon board but can probably make its way here. Paul mustn't have done too much digging interstate as I know a couple of names from northern teams who should be nominated

not completely related to us but VFL guru Paul Amy says Matt Foley likely on track to be nominated for the Fothergil - Round - Mitchell Medal as one of the most promising players under 23. Here is his snippet
Matthew Foley, Essendon

Strathmore’s Foley, who came out of the Calder Cannons at the end of 2022, played four games for the Dons last year and is up to 14 this season. “He’s got a real ability to use the ball and a nice little burst of acceleration and some agility,’’ coach Blake Caracella said. “We’ve been really pleased with his development.’’ Foley is averaging 19.3 disposals as a running defender.

For what it's worth, using the names in the article, likely top 3 will be;

1. Flynn Gentile (Coburg Tigers)
2. Sam Davidson (Richmond VFL)
3. George Grey (Frankson Dolphins)

other names mentioned in the article include Joel Trudgeon, Will Elliott, Jack Toner, Jack Brown (he played a few games with us last year, was disappointed we lost him, now with Williamstown), Cooper Craig - Peters and the aforementioned Matt Foley.

Link here via CodeSports

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be surprised if WCE redrafted him as a rookie pending the medical on his knee and the success of the operation required at end of the season
Still lives with two WCE players, and had a meeting with Don Pyke about 3 weeks ago

Was it an acl injury or not as bad?

Interesting Pike went for a visit. Hopefully its for a positive reason.

Baynen Lowe has been racking up a string of good games in the SANFL which should garner some interest. The 20 y.o Tasmanian is well balanced with a Football brain and has developed from small forward to midfield.

Outside of the obvious, I think Cooper Keogh is worth a shout.

I watched a fair bit of him last year when he was on North's list. He is physical, tough, does lots of follow up work, and is a decent marking option around the ground. His playing style isn't too dissimilar to the Xerri/Nankervis/O'Brien's of the world.

Always thought he looked a little smaller than his listed 200cm though.

Definitely worthy of a rookie list spot imo.

Tyler Keitel in the WAFL has been kicking bags for fun with bags of 5,6,5 and 6 in his last for games. Surely has to be looked at as a mature age recruit for a side in demand for a key forward.

Tyler Keitel in the WAFL has been kicking bags for fun with bags of 5,6,5 and 6 in his last for games. Surely has to be looked at as a mature age recruit for a side in demand for a key forward.

He'll turn 29yo next year so, unless there's a Troy Wilson like recruitment, it ain't gonna happen.

A team like Melbourne surely should look at him.

If you are chasing a flag in the next 2 years, then surely he is worth a look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Profile Mature Agers 2024 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back